Venison Landjaeger

fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Venison Landjaeger

Post by fatboyz » Sat Dec 05, 2020 15:18

Today I'm making of Venison Landjaeger. This is a favorite to take with me hunting, hiking or ice climbing.
Today I'm using 20 pounds of venison class I and Class II, and 10 pounds of pork picnic.

Spices (/kg of meat):
25 g salt.
2 g cure #2
Culture per the type you have.
3g Med course Black pepper
3 g dextrose
2 g ground caraway.
2g garlic
.5g coriander

For 30 pounds I add about 150-200 ml red wine.

I grind all the meat twice through a 5mm plate.
combine all the spices and cure and the wine.
Mix with meat in mixer for about 7-10 min.
Stuff into hog casings.

Now I have built a Landjaeger press (will add pictures later today after processing) so at this point I line my press with a large clear plastic bag. I layer the sausages in very tightly together. Each layer is separated by a layer of corrugated plastic. The bag is folded closed and the heavy lid pressing part is added. I keep the press in my shed near the heater so at about 20C for 48 hrs to ferment. Sausages are now square and will go in the cold smoke for 6-8 hours. I hang the sausages on the smoke sticks and hang them in my warm shed to dry for a few hours, then into the smoker. I use an Amazn smoke tube only no additional heat.
After smoking the sausages hang in my shed for about two weeks. Because our humidity is so low here in the winter I usually put a big plastic bag over the rack of sausages with a container of water on the bottom. I don't like mine dried rock hard like some. Vac pack after dry and keep in the fridge.
redzed

Re: Venison Landjaeger

Post by redzed » Sat Dec 05, 2020 16:13

Sounds like a class act! Nice recipe and it looks like you have the process worked out well. Lots of guys like the landjaeger to have a distinct sour taste, like the original German sausage, so a couple more grams of dextrose and a warmer ferment could be done.

What is the temp of your cold smoke?
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sun Dec 06, 2020 04:13

Red my cold smoke is about 70F. Here are some pics. Starting PH was 6.1. In the press now for probably 2 days. I do like it a bit sour and tangy so we\ll see where the PH goes.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Dec 06, 2020 07:55

With 3 grams dextrose you'll have only a hint of acid.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sun Dec 06, 2020 16:15

Red so basically if the sugar gets eaten up the PH will basically just stall? is that correct? Any idea of a PH to shoot for that would be more sour? Also can you suggest an amount of dextrose to get there? maybe 5grams/kg?
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sun Dec 06, 2020 16:19

I saw a video where a fella has a light bulb in his chamber hoked to the ink bird to get the desired temp in the ferment. My current chamber wouldn't hold 30 pounds of Landjaeger. Might have to crank the heat in the shed next time! This batch will last me quite a while, all though I will be making up a few Christmas baskets with what I've been making the last few weeks.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Tue Dec 08, 2020 03:12

Nicely bloomed and ready to dry.
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Dec 08, 2020 06:57

Looks likes something I'd like to grab and gnaw on! Looks like your larder is filling up!
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Tue Dec 08, 2020 14:35

It's getting pretty full Chris!. I will need to make some curb side drop offs of christmas gifts soon. I think I'll try some of that pork loin sausage you posted. We just had loins on here again at 1.99/pound. I always grab a couple to mix in with picnic or for Speck. I still need to make some hot dogs and Jalapeno cheese salami for Christmas, then start some dried pepper salami to put in the chamber and some Genoa too.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Wed Dec 09, 2020 04:44

Checked the PH and after ferment PH is 4.83.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:25

Impressive! Love the press. Climbing? Are you into technical rock climbing?
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Wed Dec 09, 2020 15:39

Butterbean wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:25
Yes technical rock and ice. It's ice time here now. I have been a member of our technical Mountain Rescue team for almost 30 years.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Dec 10, 2020 07:45

fatboyz wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 04:44
Checked the PH and after ferment PH is 4.83.

That is just about perfect for Landjaeger. So the 3g/kg of sugar was enough because venison has a naturally higher glycogen level,
and acidifies significantly more than the lean muscle tissue of beef and pork. The level of glycogen is higher in deer (and horse)
meat because these animals are a lot more active than pigs.

That rock and ice looks dangerous! No ice here this year, very mild fall. I still picked chanterelles and hedgehogs last week and went for 48km bike ride today.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Dec 10, 2020 15:25

fatboyz wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 15:39
Butterbean wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:25
Yes technical rock and ice. It's ice time here now. I have been a member of our technical Mountain Rescue team for almost 30 years.
Cool! Nice waterfall. Reminds me of the Fang in Yosemite. Never done any ice climbing but was first introduced to climbing years ago through the Army's Ranger training course. I was scared to death but I survived and became hooked on the sport. Something about the adrenaline rush or overcoming your mind or something. Hard to explain but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. For some years my life centered around climbing but finally gave it up after I did the first accent of Grand Illusion which was a 5.10X which by today's standards isn't that difficult but it was a terrifying climb because as its name implies what appeared to be a crack in the rock face after pulling a roof - wasn't. Instead it was just a water seam which allowed no protection for the rest of the route and the cliff was completely vertical with no points to rest. Unless someone were to bolt the route or use a top rope I wouldn't recommend the route to anyone. At the time I was at my peak and was doing some 5.11's but my wife was 8 months pregnant at the time and I honestly didn't think I was going to pull this one off so I promised God if he helped me pull it out I would stop climbing and devote my time to my family so this was my last climb.

I still miss it though and miss the camaraderie and the friends I made in the climbing community. In fact just last week I spoke to my old climbing partner on the phone. He is an interesting character who after I gave up climbing moved to Alaska and took up mountaineering and then bought a sail boat a traveled the globe for a year or so. He's since moved up your way and has a cabin in the woods on a lake somewhere. In our phone conversation we were discussing the level climbers are at today breaking the 5.15 mark which is simply incredible. He also informed me of a few climbers we knew who had cratered and died from free-soloing accidents which confirmed to me I had made the right decision to quit when I did because I too was doing some of this.

Sorry, I didn't mean to get off on a tangent but as you can tell I miss it because it must be in my blood. I think its an incredible sport and wish you the best with it.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Thu Dec 10, 2020 15:32

They are climbing some very difficult routes these days. With the new gear and all the bolted sport routes its easier than it used to be. My rock days consist mostly of scrambles and mountaineering these days. I still like ice though and get out several times a year. I am not able to do the big mixed climbs anymore but am happy to spend the day on some WI4 ice and eat some Landjaeger at the top in the sun!