Smoker Build

Troski
User
User

Post by Troski » Fri Jan 07, 2011 00:31

Kjuncatman; PID stands for P-Proportional I-Integral D-Derivative. "Pid" is a mathematical calculation that the controller solves Then directs the slave ether with can be an "ssr"-solid state relay or a "scr"-silicon controlled rectifier to supply the proper currant. I am not an expert on this but its not to hard if you get the right controller. The ssr is the one that pulses that is why it gets so hot and fail. The scr is one all the time with full line voltage to the heater all the time but controlling the currant, they run cool and very reliable. A controller for a ssr will have a relay output an one for a scr will have a 0 to 24 ma. output some can have both. The scr's I'm using have a currant control option that let me run the heats at 5000 watts or anywhere down to 900 watts comes in handy when you have to raise the temp's from say 120 to 180 at 5000 watts to much heat to fast = hard casings. 900 watts seems to work fine for me. A Freezer sounds like a good choice for a smoker. Keep us posted.
shadowrunner762

some design questions

Post by shadowrunner762 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 18:35

greetings,

This is an excellent build. I would like to ask a few questions if you wouldn't mind...
50 lbs of hi-temp groat
can i ask what brand of groat and water consistancy you used to apply with? the folks at home depot gave me the dear in the head lights look when i tried to decribe what you did lol...

Are the seams taped?

Did you screw the hardy board in place thru the insulation?

Do you for see any cracking at the bases of the interior were the corners meet with possible settling and or pressure being put on the base insulation board?

Could you estimate the final weight of the unit ?

Do you have any issues cleaning the groat, or did you apply a sealer that would be considered food safe?

thanks again in advance
:smile:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Aug 06, 2012 21:11

Hi Shadow,
Our pal "Trosky" hasn't signed on for more than a year now. I don't know where he went but we sure miss him. He is a great guy, recently retired (electrician) and I developed a great personal relationship with him. One day, he was just gone. I've tried to contact him but have never got an answer. Let's just hope he is well and enjoying his beautiful little granddaughter Kylie - the soft spot of his heart.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D