Smokehouse Heating Systems and Burners

Seminole

Smokehouse Heating Systems and Burners

Post by Seminole » Sun Nov 21, 2010 01:43

At the time we had written our book Meat Smoking and Smokehouse Design, there were hardly any pipe burners around. We drew some illustrations and we basically speculated how a pipe burner could be manufactured. That was in 2006.

Since 2008, Tejas Smokers, the American company located in Texas, produces great pipe burners which are manufactured using the same design principles we had described earlier. Those pipe burners are well suited for heating up very large smokehouses and the company comes up with new models all the time.

Last week we received more photos from Tejas Smokers about their latest pipe burners. These burner systems are powerful enough to provide fuel for even very large smokehouses. Those photos came with a lot of technical details and we have placed all this information on a separate page:

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/smokehouse ... urner-pipe
http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/smokehouse ... ner/making

These are very interesting systems, and you never know, you might make one yourself.
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Sun Nov 21, 2010 02:01

Interesting. So with this you can basically finish cooking smoked meats in the smoker itself. I wonder how much heat burners like this can make inside a smokehouse?
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
TxBigRed
Beginner
Beginner

Post by TxBigRed » Fri Nov 26, 2010 00:23

This is the smoker that I made. I made it out of a old "hot box" that is used to keep food hot. It has 4 550 watts strip heaters in it (they were already in it). I added a 220v burner for the sawdust /steam, a variable speed exhaust fan, and a temperature controller. Got it delivered to the house for $150!! What a deal. It was out in a field, so it took a bit of cleanup and modifications, but it does work good and can do about 100 pounds at a time.

Dave

atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Fri Nov 26, 2010 02:24

Very nice Tex
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Nov 26, 2010 07:20

That's a great setup Red. A hundred pounds at a time is a very nice time saver eh? Wow, that things big enough to ride a critter into it to smoke it! You guys in Texas REALLY DO make things bigger! :shock: Are you using hickory? Have you also made your own fermentation chambers and storage chambers for fermented sausages?
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
TxBigRed
Beginner
Beginner

Post by TxBigRed » Fri Nov 26, 2010 14:35

Hello Chuckwagon,

I use Hickory sawdust for the smoke. I do not have a separate fermentation chamber. I have used the LHP and F-LC starter cultures and do a 12-14 hour fermentation in the smoker set at around 100 degrees. In fact, I just pulled 30 LBS. of Slim Jims and 30 LBS. of Jalapeno Summer Sausage out of the smoker last night. One of these days I'll get an old fridge and convert it to do a true dry cured salami. The weather down here is just to blasted hot for most of the year. Of course, it is nice being able to go fishing in January with out having to cut though ice!!

Dave