Post Pics of your Smokers!!

JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Sun Oct 09, 2011 03:41

My uncle is the primary builder as he has all the construction experience. I'm just telling him what we need and he's making it happen. I help out where I can. I just found someone selling a turkey fryer set-up on craigslist for $10 and if I can get my hands on that I'll use it for the internal heat source. The smoker is most likely going to be a concrete water-meter box (top photo HERE). It's got a 3" inlet in front and the same in the rear with a hinged iron lid. The smoke'll leave the water box in 3" duct, jump up to 4" real quick and stay 4" into the smoker inlet.

At least that's the current idea. We'll also use concrete sheeting on the base and as a diffuser plate.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Oct 09, 2011 08:00

Cool! That sounds like a plan! Good luck. :lol:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Mon Oct 17, 2011 01:43

OK, I'm 90% done. Just need to add a couple fasteners to keep the door closed, get it in place and add the ducting and the horizontal bars for the dowel. Oh and paint, while I love the rustic look this is a but too rustic.

We added an extension to the incoming duct and drilled some holes for diffusion. You can also see the outlet pipe on the upper right of the top.

uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 01:57

Jerbear
That piece of duct at the bottom is that your heat source? If so I would recommend backing it out to center. Looks very close to the left side wall. You would be amazed over time, the heat will char the wall if it is too close. Just a thought.

Wally
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Mon Oct 17, 2011 02:21

Actually that inlet will be to pipe in smoke generated in a box about 4' away. When I need internal heat for hot smoking I'll use a propane burner with a cast iron pan for smoke. Not shown is a piece of durock cut for the bottom of the unit to protect the wood below the propane burner. Oh, and the end of the diffusion duct is capped.
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 02:25

Sounds good, never mind me looks like your on track. Hey take a pic and post when you get her fired up.
Wally
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Oct 17, 2011 02:30

Hey Jer,
How will you keep the snow from building up over the cabinet and caving in the roof? :lol:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Mon Oct 17, 2011 02:35

I'd also be interested to see some photos when you fire the smoker up Jerbear.

Looking good so far, are you going to insulate the inside or just use the wood as insulation?
Ron
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Mon Oct 17, 2011 03:17

Because I'm in San Diego my biggest challenge will be keeping it cool during the summer so no insulation at this time. My uncle and I kept referring to this as just a big experiment and after we learn a bit more we'll begin talking about a more customer unit. But now I'm getting ahead of myself. Thanks for all the kinds words.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Oct 17, 2011 03:32

Hi Jer,
Checking weather underground you should be able to cold smoke from now until mid February. Then you can start hot smoking. You will be ok.
Enjoy it. As long as the wood just smoulders it will last along time but when it flames you don't get much smoke and the wood burns quite quickly.
Ross- tightwad home cook
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Mon Oct 17, 2011 03:34

ssorllih wrote:...you should be able to cold smoke from now until mid February. Then you can start hot smoking. You will be ok.
That was the general plan. Should be up and going in a couple weeks.
ssorllih wrote:As long as the wood just smoulders it will last along time but when it flames you don't get much smoke and the wood burns quite quickly.
Regulated mostly by airflow, correct?
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Oct 17, 2011 04:09

yup! choke off the air supply and the fire goes out.
Ross- tightwad home cook
toolhawk1
User
User

Cold smoking Country Hams , pics

Post by toolhawk1 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 01:14

Made a cold smoking attachment for my large smoker , tested out on my small 1 this weekend , no heat rise , did an awesome job !!!!
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 01:39

Toolhawk
I`m grieving with envy. Are you going to save one for the holidays? Nice job pal...

Wally
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Oct 18, 2011 01:52

Yeah I know how you feel Uwanna. I've got a state certification for welding and my welds don't look that good! :cry: I believe this ol' Toolhawk must be some kind of "ringer" eh?
Very nice work Ray. How did you prepare the hams? Dry? Keep up the great work!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon