Cold/Hot smoker in one

atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Cold/Hot smoker in one

Post by atcNick » Sun Sep 30, 2012 19:34

I've been trying to figure a good way to cold smoke and hot smoke using one smoke house. Well I found this image on the Polish version of WD. What do you guys think? I need to figure out a good way to close off the "hot" pipe when cold smoking. Any ideas there?

-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Sep 30, 2012 20:55

Just lay a ceramic tile on the end of the pipe.
Ross- tightwad home cook
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Sun Sep 30, 2012 21:51

I would think that would still radiate too much heat. Maybe something heavy duty. I was planning on havering a gravel diffuser above the pipes in the smokehouse.
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Sep 30, 2012 22:22

If you close the outlet end of the pipe the heat cannot enter the pipe. There are also dampers made for balancing HVAC systems. Generally they are made for six inch round pipe.
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 01:03

Hi Nick,
The easiest way to combine cold and hot smoking in 1(one) smokehouse is to use a venturi smoker.
I have used one for a number of years and I have bought a new one from New Zealand awhile back, all stainless, aquarium air pump powered, you can regulate the smoke amount entering the smokehouse by varying the air pressure.
We live in a hot and humid climate and I found this the easiest way to do it.
If you need to hot smoke, rig up an electric hotplate to provide heat, wire this up to an electronic temperature controller and voila you've got it.
Good Luck,
Jan.
angelwannaB
Beginner
Beginner

Post by angelwannaB » Mon Oct 01, 2012 01:42

I've been looking at the Masterbuilt 30" 4 rack smoker and the A-maz-n pellet smoker ... comments, suggestions plz...would the 2 together suffice my hot/cold smoking needs.

Finally got my grinder in the mail...went thru a bad week, my best friends son (32 yr old) finally passed after 6 months of suffering from swine flu he caught in Texas...he was like my son...shed a lot of tears and ready to get back on track.

CW, may you find many happy days ahead...anywho, should I make the purchase...I'm so looking forward to making my hubby some great sausages :lol:
Just passin thru ....
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Mon Oct 01, 2012 03:29

angelwannaB wrote:I've been looking at the Masterbuilt 30" 4 rack smoker and the A-maz-n pellet smoker ... comments, suggestions plz...would the 2 together suffice my hot/cold smoking needs.

Finally got my grinder in the mail...went thru a bad week, my best friends son (32 yr old) finally passed after 6 months of suffering from swine flu he caught in Texas...he was like my son...shed a lot of tears and ready to get back on track.

CW, may you find many happy days ahead...anywho, should I make the purchase...I'm so looking forward to making my hubby some great sausages :lol:
I bought my parents the 40" masterbuilt and the amazn smoker a couple years ago, haven't heard any complaints
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Oct 01, 2012 05:02

For those of you who, like me, didn't know what Crustyo44's "venturi-type smoke generator" is, here's a great reference: http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/smokehouse ... -generator
It looks pretty easy to build out of odds-and-ends. ...think I'll try it. :mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Oct 01, 2012 05:41

AngelwannaB
Finally got my grinder in the mail...
Glad to hear that. It will make sausagemaking much more enjoyable.
went thru a bad week, my best friends son (32 yr old) finally passed after 6 months of suffering from swine flu he caught in Texas...he was like my son...shed a lot of tears and ready to get back on track.

Patty, I'm so very sorry to hear that. Please accept our deepest regrets and please know that you'll be in our prayers.
CW, may you find many happy days ahead

Thank you sweet lady! :wink:
I'm so looking forward to making my hubby some great sausages
Don't forget to include yourself on the list too. Try some of Snaggie's csabai or even some of El Quacko's chorizo (coming up this week). Your husband is a lucky guy!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 06:39

Hi,
el Ducko is right, the venturi smoker is easy to build and works very well. I have all the machinery, welders and know-how on how to make one, The only thing I didn't have was the spare time.
I decided on Alec Upfolds venturi smoker as it would be shipped immediately and was cheap as well. Some of his models produce smoke for 12 hours or more and mine with a hopper attached can double that smoking time.
Have a look at YouTube. All his smokers are being tested there.
Regards,
Jan.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Oct 01, 2012 09:41

Hi Folks,
Our pal AngelwannaB has asked about the Masterbuilt 30". Does anyone have this particular model? Can you offer her any more information about it?
She wrote:
I've been looking at the Masterbuilt 30" 4 rack smoker and the A-maz-n pellet smoker ... comments, suggestions plz...would the 2 together suffice my hot/cold smoking needs.
Here's a quick link: http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20070 ... B00104WRCY

Thanks everyone!
Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Cold/Hot smoker in one

Post by atcNick » Mon Oct 01, 2012 14:49

atcNick wrote:I've been trying to figure a good way to cold smoke and hot smoke using one smoke house. Well I found this image on the Polish version of WD. What do you guys think? I need to figure out a good way to close off the "hot" pipe when cold smoking. Any ideas there?

-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Oct 01, 2012 15:27

Hey Crusty- - if you power the venturi with an aquarium air pump, does it help you to cold smoke fish?? :roll: ...just a thought. ...en route to the pet store, even as we squeak. ...er, speak. :mrgreen: Does anyone have any guidance on size & dimensions for the chip holder, etc? Do I need a really big can for it, or will a "standard" (15 oz.) can work okay?

...and who decided that 15 ounces were a standard anything? Myanmar? (...the only people who still use English units besides the USA.) ...probably the same people who downsized half-gallon ice cream cartons to 1-1/2 quarts. (Grrrr...) :twisted:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Approaching chorizo zone-please take appropriate precautions

Post by el Ducko » Mon Oct 01, 2012 15:53

Chuckwagon wrote: to AngelwannaB
Don't forget to include yourself on the list too. Try some of Snaggie's csabai or even some of El Quacko's chorizo (coming up this week). Your husband is a lucky guy!
Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Uh oh! Time to "get the heck outta Dodge!"

...but if you plan to look ahead, let's hope our buddy CW is referring to "Our own Tex/Mex Blend" in the Chorizo Corner" post at http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5873%29 . You'll need to search down past other book-like drivel (translation: cut to the chase) to find that particular recipe.

Note that there are no smoking instructions. For completeness, Chuckles and I will concoct some appropriate ones which caution you about using too high a temperature, etc. I typically use 2 hours of mesquite or live oak smoke, and carefully keep it below where the fat would break, but as you can see if you've followed my recent posts, I'm still struggling with smoke control. Light smoke would be appropriate.

More to follow. Enjoy! :mrgreen:
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 20:47

el Ducko,
These venturi smokers are ideal for cold smoking, it produces all it's heat outside and the aquarium pump blows the smoke very gently inside the smoker.
You can adjust the smoke from just a whisp to a heavy smoke by adjusting the pump air speed.
It suits me down to a T, as we live here in a hot and sometimes very humid climate.
Have a look at YouTube.
Regards,
Jan.