mold in my wood smokehouse

orf
User
User

mold in my wood smokehouse

Post by orf » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:56

first I'd like to say thanks for the wonderful website for sausage making and curing meat. It's a wealth of knowledge and I've enjoyed reading and learning from it.now my ? I haven't used my smokehouse since spring and I'm getting ready to do some kielbasa and a few chickens.there seems to be a whitish mold on the inside in a few places.I don't want to use bleach or chemicals. can I just build a fire in side a burn it out safely? thanks in advance, orf...
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Oct 04, 2012 13:17

Hi Orf,
If the residue is powdery or greasy, wipe it out with a rag dampened with just a little vinegar and a sprinkle of salt. Follow up with a damp ( clean water) rag. Smoke for half an hour before putting meat in. Nice to have you with us Orf.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Oct 04, 2012 14:42

The smokehouse needs more ventilation during the periods of non use.
Ross- tightwad home cook
orf
User
User

Post by orf » Thu Oct 04, 2012 15:41

thanks for the quick replies.it was actually on my hanging sticks so I built a small fire inside and burned it for an hour or so. I think it'll be alright,but just thought I'd ask.thanks orf...