smoke house construction question

YooperDog
Beginner
Beginner

smoke house construction question

Post by YooperDog » Tue Oct 30, 2012 15:37

I am looking at building a smoke house out of an old non-functioning warming oven this winter. I have gotten the idea out of Stanley's book. Does any one have any suggestions or thoughts before I proceed. I already have a smaller gas and a wood fired smokers, but have no capability to cold smoke until temps here fall into the 50's or lower. I am looking at creating a dedicated place where I can have better control of the smoking process. I would like to hook up a venturi type smoke generator attachment to it also.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Oct 30, 2012 15:52

Cold smoking has a key word that is essential to a cold smoking process. COLD. You simply can't cold smoke fish on a warm day. It will either cook or rot.
Ross- tightwad home cook
YooperDog
Beginner
Beginner

Post by YooperDog » Tue Oct 30, 2012 19:16

Thanks.

I understand the cold smoking temp range and limit it to late fall to early spring and plan to get things completed accordingly. My idea is to use this box as multi-use smoker. With my current units it is tricky to cold smoke w/o constant monitoring, ate my share of cooked fish that started out to be only cold smoked; I don't even think about larger cuts of meat. My plan is to have a better controlled smoking environment.

Tighten down hatches and stay dry.
Brewoz

Post by Brewoz » Tue Oct 30, 2012 19:38

I cold smoke in a larger cabinet. I built a venturi type smoke generator and was disappoint with it. Bought one of those A_MAZ_N pellet smokers and have been pleased with my cheese or everything else I cold smpke.
Beer Guy at Snow Creek
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Wed Oct 31, 2012 13:30

I read lots of different opinion about the venturi type smoke generator. Good ones and bad ones......and of course everything in between..... :mrgreen:
I'm building one for myself, it"ll be all stainless steel, heavy duty. I'm in the middle of many project now, but I'll get to it.
Some pictures so far. I want to make the air intake adjustable.
I think I'll make the nozzle adjustable lengthwise, to see the different affect. Some of them have it inside the connecting pipe, others before it, at the smoke entrance.

Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
johny3329

Post by johny3329 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 09:01

On another forum the subject of cutting chicken was raised and I offered to post videos of the effort. Today I was able to buy oven roasters for 60 cents per pound so I had enough to use for demonstration. http://s1112.photobucket....meranew0002.mp4
This one shows the removal of boneless breast sections. http://s1112.photobucket....meranew0004.mp4
The bones are of course cooked for the meat and stock and all of that is canned.
jimmy
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jan 14, 2013 14:56

Johny, Check your photobucket links.
Ross- tightwad home cook