ancient smokehouse

CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Sat Jan 19, 2013 01:42

It looks a bit blackened in there to me, and the natural weathering of the mortar could be why it looks unsmoked.

A small smoldering fire in the bottom firebox could produce a smoke to go through the holes and smoke the meats.

Even without a working chimney one could smoke in this with a damper on the door to release smoke/heat.

I say try it out and see what happens.

No time is ever wasted when spent learning something...

Charlie
spataro

Post by spataro » Sat Jan 19, 2013 20:54

Hi again!

Today we made a door for the smoker from leftover wood and set up a small fire. It works like a charm! Smoke was coming out from every little hole of the smoking chamber.

It looks like that the ventillation is fine without any kind of door for the fire pit. The next step is to craft an A-MAZE-N style smoker as it makes the smoking process much easier.

I took a picture of the middle layer (between the fire pit and the chamber) and the roof.

thanks for your advice!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Jan 19, 2013 21:12

The roof looks very replaceable. If you make your fire with several small pieces of wood and one or two quite large pieces a fire will make smoke for a rather long time..
Ross- tightwad home cook
spataro

Post by spataro » Sat Jan 19, 2013 21:17

ssorllih wrote:The roof looks very replaceable. If you make your fire with several small pieces of wood and one or two quite large pieces a fire will make smoke for a rather long time..
We will replace the roof for sure in the future but at the moment it will be fine.

The fire can not reach the roof because there is a middle layer from concrete (with the holes) what separates the fire pit from the smoking chamber.
NorthFork
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by NorthFork » Sat Jan 19, 2013 21:36

spataro-it looks like you have the real deal. The holes in the floor are definitely for a smoke chamber and it should work very well-whether with the A-MAZE-N unit or a more traditional smoke generating fire/coals. keep us posted on your progress--
I've always tried to set a good example for others-but many times I've had to settle for just being a horrible warning!
spataro

Post by spataro » Sat Jan 19, 2013 21:45

NorthFork wrote:spataro-it looks like you have the real deal. The holes in the floor are definitely for a smoke chamber and it should work very well-whether with the A-MAZE-N unit or a more traditional smoke generating fire/coals. keep us posted on your progress--
Thanks for the heads up!

Let me explain the setup for everybody, maybe I was not clear enough for the first time.

If you check the very first post of this topic you will understand everything.

There is a fire pit on the bottom, a concrete layer with holes in the middle, and the roof.

I want to use the A-MAZE-N method as it requires much less attention during smoking.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 22:55

Spataro,
Make sure it's RODENT proof, the 2 and 4 legged varieties are extremely smart and quick and have superb taste buds.
Good Luck,
Jan.
spataro

Post by spataro » Sat Jan 19, 2013 23:06

crustyo44 wrote:Spataro,
Make sure it's RODENT proof, the 2 and 4 legged varieties are extremely smart and quick and have superb taste buds.
Good Luck,
Jan.
Hello Jan!

Thanks for highlighting it, I will make sure about every little hole.

My first line of defense is a pair of cats, the heavy artillery is an always alert collie! :)

cheers:spataro