Cedar smokehouse work in progress

CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Cedar smokehouse work in progress

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Sun Jan 20, 2013 02:43

I've had this idea for quite a while now and finally got busy on it this week.

The smokehouse itself is 24" x 24" x 52" internal at the highest point. The main box is made from 3/4" plywood with a cedar plank overlay, raised roof, and rooftop.

Thus far the plan for this critter is to cold smoke salmon, and to work smoke the sausages that I make. However, I will also be able to smoke brisket, ribs, etc., as well since I'm putting a controlled heat source inside.

I'm in the process of making a smoke generator for the unit that will be quite a bit different than most have seen. Stainless steel housing, with the usual fish pump, but all beefed up. I'm a bit of a geek, so beware of what's to come!

The heat source for the smokehouse is a 2000 watt electric heating element hooked up to a PID so that I can control the temperature inside of the box. 3 J type thermocouples mounted in the rear of the box will average the temperature at the top, center, and bottom to determine the on/off of the heating element.

The build should be finished in the next week or so with the inaugural smoke coming shortly after...

Stay tuned!

Charlie
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 03:11

Charlie,
I am looking forward to the finished article and what it can do. I am very much interested in what you mean with having 3 J type thermo couples to regulated the internal temperature.
I can build and repair most things as I have every bit of equipment available but with electicity I am just a plain idiot.
Please let me/us have all this info if possible.
Thanks,
Jan.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jan 20, 2013 03:40

I can't say that I approve of the foundation. You may get a little heat distortion in that. ;)
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jan 20, 2013 04:46

Charlie, your joinery is excellant. What do you plan for the base?
Ross- tightwad home cook
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Sun Jan 20, 2013 15:58

Jan, I'll post the schematics of the electronics once it is all finalized. I've decided to add switches to control the air pump and smoke generator heater. Yep, electric starter for the chips/pellets too. This has been an ongoing plan for a while now.

Ross, I figure if I keep that igloo cooler full of ice cold beer I should be fine. :lol:

The base will be made from cedar as well. If you look at the picture and see the bottom 6" are bare with no trim, it's because that portion will set down into the cedar frame base. To the right of the smokehouse will be a granite countertop that I had cut down when we had the countertops in the kitchen replaced last year.

The picture makes it look like I have really tight joints on the build, in all actuality, it's not so pretty. Working with this rough cedar that was cut and designed for fence material is a PITA. Next time ill use dimensional lumber for sure!

Charlie
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

More work today

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Sun Jan 20, 2013 23:52

Got the house completely trimmed out today, temp installed the burner for fit purposes, door is on, and almost ready to smoke!

I wanted a break from the power tools so I put the smoke generator together and have it in test run mode now. It's rocking along really well!

http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff36 ... 3C3AF5.mp4

Click the link above for a video of the smoke generator in action.

Hope to get the base done this week and have the inaugural smoke next weekend!

Charlie
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Mon Jan 21, 2013 00:33

Very nice work!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 01:40

Cranky ol' man, you are one talented individual! Beautiful work. :wink:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Mon Jan 21, 2013 04:44

Thanks CW, I was blessed with many different talents and try to use them well. My work never looks as nice as I imagine it will, but it's functional! :lol:

Learned a lesson with the smoke generator tonight... The wood chips have a tendency to "bridge" on me and I lose my burn after about 3 hours. :evil:

Guess ill have to buy some pellets and see how those work.

Anyone tried sawdust in a vertical smoke generator?

Charlie
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jan 21, 2013 04:53

A little vibration applied to the smoke generator may solve the problem.
Ross- tightwad home cook