Cold smoking temperatures

atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Cold smoking temperatures

Post by atcNick » Wed Feb 06, 2013 22:27

What temperature is ideal for cold smoking fermented meats like salami, capacola. And bacon and cheese?

Im testing out my smokehouse to see how cold I can get temps, Its rainy and about 59F today. I was able to get it to hold at 76F. Im thinking that's too high. What do ya'll think?

Also, the smoke should be much thinner than if I was hot smoking, is that right?

Thanks,
Nick
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Feb 06, 2013 23:15

The temperature is borderline for fish and cheese. I can't tell that the smoke density is of great importance.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:29

Hi Nick, allow me to drop a paragraph from Stan's book on you! "Cold smoked meats prevent or slow down the spoilage of fats, which increases their shelf life. The product is drier and saltier with a more pronounced smoky flavor and very long shelf life. The color varies from yellow to dark brown on the surface and dark red inside. Cold smoked products are not submitted to the cooking process. If you want to cold smoke your meats, bear in mind that with the exception of people living in areas with a cold climate like Alaska, it will have to be done in the winter months just as it was done 500 years ago." ____Stan Marianski

Nick, cold smoking is a drying process usually involving many hours for several days or even weeks. On the other hand, hot-smoking is a smoking-prep cooking process usually finished relatively shortly (within hours). To ensure a constant breakdown of nitrate into nitrite in cold-smoking sausages, Cure #2 is most often used. However, it is important to note that occasionally, in some comminuted sausage recipes, the use of Cure #1 may be specified. Cold-smoked products are not usually smoked continuously as fresh air is usually allowed into the smoker at regular intervals to allow time for complete penetration of smoke deep into muscle tissues. As moisture leaves the meat, the product will become naturally rigid.

So, the answer to your question! :roll: Because fish begin to cook at 85°F. (30°C.), the temperature in most American "cold-smoke houses" is less than 85° F. (29°C.) and often much lower in order to prevent spoilage. In Russia and many parts of Europe, the upper limit has been 71°F. (22°C.).

Cold-smoked products must contain nitrite or nitrate/nitrite cures to be safe because even using thin smoke, oxygen is cut off and most obligate anaerobic bacteria, some facultative anaerobic bacteria, and even some microaerophile bacteria may thrive. Never cold-smoke fresh sausage or any meat product without using a curing agent.

Some dry-cured (raw) sausages are held for weeks in cold-smoke while they continue to dehydrate safely below .85 Aw. Initially they are protected from pathogenic bacteria by the sausage`s salt content. This affords their only protection while the lactic acid is being produced by lactobacilli and pediococci bacteria. Additionally, some semi-dry cured sausages may be cold-smoked after they have been prep-cooked. Again, although cold smoking is not a continuous process, it usually assures deep smoke penetration. It is usually discontinued overnight, allowing fresh air to assist with the uniform loss of moisture.

Good luck with your new smoker Nick. It's a beaut!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Fri Feb 08, 2013 13:51, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Thu Feb 07, 2013 22:19

Thanks Chuck. I remember that part now. I have three of Marianski's books.

What do you think the upper limit is for a slow fermented salami that I want to cold smoke? How about bacon?

By the way, I bought an 8 lb pork belly today from the Mexican grocery. As soon as it thaws Im wet curing it for cold smoked bacon.
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Feb 08, 2013 14:21

Nick, the ideal range is anywhere from 52°F to 71°F. If the temperature is lower, the fermentation process becomes interrupted. Too high, and the sausage begins to cook. The duration can be anywhere from one to fourteen days. In the summertime in Texas when the mercury climbs up that ol' thermometer in your back yard, you will have a tough time "cold smoking" unless you have your smoker air conditioned like many commercial outfits have done. There are many different "limitations" around the world. In some European countries, the upper limit reaches all the way up to 86°F believe it or not. (Remember fish starts to cook at 85°F). However, most top sausage-producing countries such as Poland, Germany, and Russia, observe the 71°F limit.
Tell little Evan hello for me will ya? I think he's a pretty cool guy! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Sun Feb 10, 2013 16:24

Wow, I learn so much from this "Chuck Wagon" dude. I always assumed (oops) cold smoking was anything under 90 degrees. Just for my info and future....when you guys smoke a cured Polish like in Rytek's book, is your initial smoking temp like 90 degrees?
V465
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Feb 10, 2013 20:16

What do the book say?
Ross- tightwad home cook
sausagemaneric
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sausagemaneric » Mon Feb 18, 2013 18:00

The book says to dry at 135 degrees, raise temp to 160-165, apply smoke and remove at 152 deg. I usually dry with a fan, then smoke at 90-100 deg. for a minimum of 2hrs. Then I remove smoke, turn on my gas burner in the smoker with a giant pot of water, raise the temp to 155-160 and cook to 152 deg.

Ideas?
V465