Red Cedar Smoker?

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Mar 09, 2014 05:33

carpster, your bacon looks great but your smoker looks like red cedar. After the first couple of runs it won't smell like a gerbil any more. ;-)
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Mar 09, 2014 08:00

I'm trying to figure out what looks the best... the bacon or the smokehouse! Great work Carp. I just talked to Ross Hill (ssorllih) today on the phone and he's just used some pear wood on his. He likes apple on his bacon too. How did it work for you? I'm still stuck on good ol' hickory! (We don't have it here in the west, so we have to trade our honey for it).

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Carpster
User
User

Post by Carpster » Sun Mar 09, 2014 17:30

ssorllih wrote:carpster, your bacon looks great but your smoker looks like red cedar. After the first couple of runs it won't smell like a gerbil any more. ;-)
It is!!! Native red cedar from Missouri. Funny you said this, because it's the first thing I smoked...gerbils I mean. I figure if someone can do a bird sausage, I can try gerbils :wink:

Steve
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Mar 09, 2014 17:45

That is a nice smoker!!!

To be honest I would be cautious as cedar with its wonderfully aromatic oils is Highly volatile.

Never tried Gerbils but have tasted Starlings...how were they? :shock:
Carpster
User
User

Post by Carpster » Sun Mar 09, 2014 18:09

The apple is really nice, never too strong (I am a Hickory boy myself). I have peach, pear, and Apple from an old Orchard on my place, so I use it often.
The biggest problem is trying to chip it to a good smoking size for my Venturi smoker.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Mar 09, 2014 22:49

I have a friend who lined a closet with red cedar and his step daughter came in and gave him a hug and asked," Don, Why do you smell like a gerbil"?
Ross- tightwad home cook
Carpster
User
User

Post by Carpster » Fri Mar 14, 2014 01:09

ssorllih wrote:I have a friend who lined a closet with red cedar and his step daughter came in and gave him a hug and asked," Don, Why do you smell like a gerbil"?
If you can't do it in Missouri Cedar.....do it in Missouri Oak....or Missouri Hickory, or Missouri Walnut, or Missouri Osage Orange or......but don't do it with Gerbils!!! Lol