Remote temperature sender

crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Remote temperature sender

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 21:47

Hi Members,
I need some advise on the most reliable remote temperature sender available to use in my new smoker.
I purchased one from the local hardware store some time back but it does not seem to work too well at all.
I noticed on the Net that there are now units available with twin temperature probes, one for internal meat temp and smoker box temperature.
Are they any good?
I like a unit that actually shows the temperature all the time when it increases slowly but this may be too much to ask.
Any advise is appreciated.
Regards,
Jan.
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 22:51

Hi Jan. This one below works well for us. We have a BBQ smoker outdoors and the alarm for minimum and maximum temperatures for both internal temp and smokehouse temp really comes in handy.

The only problem we have is that we work in a basement sealed up like a bomb shelter so the wireless function does not work unless we open the door. What we usually do is just leave the monitor upstairs near a window.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/49739remote ... meter.aspx
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jul 05, 2012 02:13

Yup, I can vouch for that one too. I've used one for quite a while. They are also guaranteed. :smile:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:02

I have two of those, and they work great. One I have altered by adding an antenna to increase its signal strength, you can find the instructions on the net, also you can get them cheaper if you do a search on the net.
Col. Big Guy
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 20:14

Gentlemen,
Thank you for the advise, are there any specific makes/brand names involved.
Whatever is for sale here is chinese crap, buy today and throw it out next week.
Best Regards,
Jan.
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Fri Jul 06, 2012 02:26

Hi Jan,

I also have a Redicheck unit, and it work very well!
Ron
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Jul 06, 2012 03:27

I got mine from Cabela's, and it's been great for about 2 years so far. Have a look at http://www.cabelas.com/product/Remote-T ... l+Products for their listing. It looks like it's a bit cheaper than the one at SausageMaker. I was hard-pressed to turn out a good smoked brisket until I bought this thing, mainly because I couldn't tell smoke temperature on the piece of junk called a built-in dial thermometer. Now, I hardly ever miss.

In fact, this weekend... :mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 19:47

I noticed that Maverick has upgraded the ET 73 to an ET 732. Feedback is not favourable for the # 732.
I might go for the earlier version as some members have used with great success.
High temperature spare probes are available as well. Any advise on these. Worth investing in them?
Thank you again.
Regards,
Jan.
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 00:46

Crustyo
I just ordered one of these today. Not sure, I typically hover around my smoker like it was a newborn or something while things are cooking. My wife has mentioned I should put my recliner out in the yard. Who knows, it would be nice while watching the game on the tube, and knowing what`s going on inside the smoker.

Wally
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sun Jul 08, 2012 13:18

Since the redesigned ET 732 has some reviews I searched to try figure out what I thought would be negative about this new unit (compared to the old ET 73 that I have)

I will agree that a few of the features on the ET 73 were not so user friendly, such as having to remove the back cover on the transmitter unit to turn the power on. But it was never a major problem.
My ET 73 has had much use (over 18 months of 2 to 3 times per month) and the probes have never failed.

The major complaint on the new ET 732 appears to be probe failure.
My approach in caring for my equipment is from an Engineering point of view to understand how the probes are manufactured. Inside the Stainless Steel Temperature tubes would be a electronic sensor for the temperature, and 2 high temp insulated wires running out through the Steel / Stainless Steel braiding to the male plug. The Temperature Tubes are crimped to the wires and braiding. The is no way I would take that crimped joint as a water tight seal.
I never submerge the Meat probe in water to clean it, rather clean it with a moist cloth.(the Smoker probe does not need cleaning). If moisture gets into the probe electronics they will fail.
I also take care never to "kink" the wires or tug on them, also ensure the wires have a clearance entry to the Smoker. In other words don't jam the wires between the smoker door or the tight fitting lid. Feed them through a vent hole.
And with the above care in mind I'm sure the unit will continue to last. Sure, as with any electronic device a probe may fail in time to come, they do not have a endless life span. But we can pick the problem up before we use the probes by comparing calibration with a spare meat termometer.
:smile:
Ron
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 13:40

I never submerge the Meat probe in water to clean it, rather clean it with a moist cloth
Ditto on that! I learned this the hard way, had to buy a second prob. Good info Bubba..
Wally