Hotel Salami is now Open!

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Dec 23, 2012 06:41

Red, you wrote:
I just bought a case of four butts through a small local sausage plant.
Here's a tip. When you purchase meat wholesale (without packaging) always check to see if they removed the glands.
Oh, and... uhhh... how about "Cabin Fever Coppa"?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Dec 24, 2012 09:30

Let's keep it simple and call it Spicy Coppa Ham, cause that's what it is.

And those pesky glands, yeah you always have to keep an eye out for them.
Bob K

Redzed ?

Post by Bob K » Fri Jun 20, 2014 23:51

Chris-

I think I read in another thread that you also have a vent to the outside to exchange air a few times a day.

Is the outside vent necessary to help regulate humidity levels or just to allow an air exchange.

I know in my fermenting chamber I had to cut vents to get the humidity levels down when starting a new batch.

Not sure if I need vents if I convert a frost free freezer
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Jun 21, 2014 07:41

Hey Bob!

I have a rather simple operation but I believe it works. Ventilation and air exchange are very important. Even the old country recipes and instructions stipulated that the sausages be cured in an airy or drafty place. So ventilation is important to the process. I am at the point that I don't go and open and close the door to my curing chamberthree times a day to dump the sale air. We were away for a month this winter and I had a few things curing and all was well.

In the first pic you see the the top of my chamber (a converted all fridge). The apparatus in the front is a carbon air scrubber to neutralize odours. It runs whenever the ventilation fan kicks in. In the second pic I moved the scrubber aside and you see the vent. It's meant for a clothes dryer and has a damper. The fan is 12V from a junked computer. The fan and scrubber are on a timer and run for 30 mintes, two or three times per 24hrs, depending on what I have in there. The humidity drops by two to 5 points after each cycle, however, the recovery is quick. I also have a small fan inside the chamber intended to move the air around inside. I turns on whenever the humidifier does. The third photo shows the air intake hole, and that is partially open all of the time.

Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:44

Thanks Chris

I had thought of a dryer vent but didn't think a small fan would open it.

Is the intake vent near the bottom?
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Jun 21, 2014 16:13

Yes, I also questioned whether the small computer fan would be able to lift the damper, but it works very well. The intake is about 5 or 6 inches off the floor.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Aug 13, 2014 17:50

rgauthier20420 said:
Paid $1.89 a lb for some good looking butt.

Only on WD could you get away with a statement like that!

With Hotel Salami Northwest up and running (Redzed) and Hotel Salami Northeast about to open better open the Central Franchise.

Photobucket is another option but still a bit of a pain.

rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 17:56

Bob K wrote:Only on WD could you get away with a statement like that!

With Hotel Salami Northwest up and running (Redzed) and Hotel Salami Northeast about to open better open the Central Franchise.
Probably on smokingmeatforums.com also but it's always fun to start a line off with that :twisted:

Nice looking setup. A friend and me picked up a temp/humidity controller for my re-purposed wine fridge. Also got some beef middles and culture to do some salamis. Looking forward to it.

Making a half batch of the breakfast sausage tonight. I'll post back with it mixed and fry test is done for taste.
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Wed Aug 13, 2014 22:16

Bob K, I would like to see an inside photo of your set-up ! thanks , Dave
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Aug 13, 2014 23:03

Dave-
Similar setup to Redzeds but with an Auburns controller and two backdraft vents (top and bottom)

I am still working out the kinks and may move the vaporizer to the outside for more room.

cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:43

Bob K, thanks for posting more photos. I'm going to build a chamber and love to see other folks designs. Was your chamber an upright freezer originally ? Dave
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:10

Dave

It was an upright FROST FREE freezer. You can't move/remove the shelves in a manual defrost.

If you can find an all-fridge or a commercial soda cooler those also work well.

Two nice designs are Chris's at the beginning of this thread and Walleye1 here http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=6426
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 22:40

Bob K , thanks for the help !
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Wed Jan 11, 2017 20:22

Just res-erecting this thread for the recipe. Red instead of casing it I'm thinking of using those hog sheets and then netting it?
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Jan 12, 2017 07:09

Don, the hog sheets will work, don't worry about overlapping and cutting pieces off. Just wrap and net. It will all become one layer. As far as the recipe use 2.5 salt and .25 #2. Marianski's amounts are too high. Cure in a vacuum or zip lock bag for two to three weeks. Using the equilibrium method you don't have to worry about over salting. Looks like you are getting a free range hog, so don't go overboard with the aromatics, you will appreciate the flavour of the pork. Another thing to note here is that when we buy a commercially cut pork butt it's from a shoulder cut between the second and third ribs, which results in small coppa, especially when it's from a market size hog. The Italians break down the shoulder between the 5th and 6th ribs, which makes a difference on the size of the coppa. Something to think about when you will be breaking down your pork. BTW, how big is it going to be?
Chris