curing/drying chamber build

crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

curing/drying chamber build

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 06:50

Hi Members,
Due to not being able to buy a decent size drinks display fridge in good condition to use for a curing chamber, I have decided to build one from scratch.
I was given a heap of 4" coolroom panels all in good condition so the choice was simplified what to buy or make myself.
The size will be about 4ft wide by approx 7ft deep and 7ft plus High, all dependant on how the panels work out. It will have hanging rails and a bench.
The cooling will be a small window aircon and all the required gear for humidity and heating.
Does anyone with experience in a build like this can help me around the pittfalls as I hate to rectify mistakes due to in-experience.
It will be used also for fermenting my brew for beer and distilling in between curing jobs.
All advise appreciated as this is all new to me and I hate stuff-ups that could be prevented.
Thank you,
Jan.
Brisbane.
huckelberry
User
User

build

Post by huckelberry » Sat Dec 15, 2012 07:32

Check out this site http://www.storeitcold.com/coolerconstruction.html
These things are really interesting and I think would be the way I would go, but they also have some realy good info. on cooler construction.
I think anyone intersted in making a walk in cooler should check these things out.
Pretty Cool. :cool:
Don't take life to seriously.
You're not getting out of it alive!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Dec 15, 2012 07:47

Wow! Great information Huck. Thanks for sharing.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:20

Thanks Huck,
I can see a lot of reading coming up over Christmas. Luckily the 4" panels are steel lined both sides and clip together.
Thank you for sharing this info.
Jan.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Re: curing/drying chamber build

Post by el Ducko » Sat Dec 15, 2012 15:00

crustyo44 wrote:The size will be about 4ft wide by approx 7ft deep and 7ft plus High, all dependent on how the panels work out. It will have hanging rails and a bench.
....It will be used also for fermenting my brew for beer and distilling in between curing jobs.
One thing I've found during my brewing activities is that access to the vessels is as important as fitting them in there in the first place. I wound up sawing holes in the top of my keg-o-rator (old chest freezer) so four kegs with associated hoses and connections (or two plus a lagering carboy with bubble lock on top) would fit. I had to glue and bolt on a large insulated Coleman cooler, then saw out between them, to accommodate the extra height.

Then there's the fun of dropping a wrench down inside, having to raise the top and reach down in there to retrieve it, get Beloved Spouse to do it where my arm won't fit.

So I envy you, Jan, building a walk-in. Allow lots of room for access and for moving things around. Whatever you want will be in back or out of reach. Guaranteed.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Dec 15, 2012 16:17

Huck that is a very good information find. Thanks.
Ross- tightwad home cook