Curing fridge question

robduca
Beginner
Beginner

Curing fridge question

Post by robduca » Mon Oct 19, 2015 06:04

Hey guys,
So I am going to make a curing fridge for fermented sausages, etc and was wondering if it needed to be a frost free fridge? I have scored this fidge for free and was hoping to use this, but not sure if it is suitable or not.

Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Oct 19, 2015 14:17

That one looks like it would be perfect Rob!

No need for a frostfree fridge. Non frost free freezers on the other hand have the cooling coils running through the shelfs, and the shelves can not be moved/removed.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Oct 19, 2015 17:12

I would have preferred a frost free fridge since cold dry air is forced into the chamber when the compressor kicks in. This also introduces new air into the chamber and helps to move it around. With a fridge like yours there will be a lot more humidity in the chamber and you will need to install a venting system to purge excess humidity. This will be very noticeable when you load new product. Opening the fridge several time a day might work but you have to be around all the time and you might be introducing too much warm air into the chamber.

Having said that, you can't look a gift horse in the mouth, :lol: and if you don't overload the chamber, introduce some air flow and keep a close eye on what's happening inside, it should work for you. Please post pictures once you finish the setup and let us know the results of your dry curing.

Chris