UMAi dry aging bags

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jan 31, 2014 18:56

Fit for a king Rudy! Very nice pal. Are you snowed in up there in Sandpoint? :roll:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Fri Jan 31, 2014 19:11

Chuckwagon wrote:Fit for a king Rudy! Very nice pal. Are you snowed in up there in Sandpoint? :roll:
Hi CW,

Been a while since we conversed. Thanks for the compliments. Snowed in? Nay, we just got a dusting of about 8", I almost didn't have to plow our long driveway. At least it wasn't enough to convince the moose to head for lower elevations (yet).
Rudy
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 04:38

Hi Rudy,
Thanks for posting these photo's. Yes, the prices for these bags are exhorbitant. I suppose that with bigger sales their margins might be coming down hopefully.
I go with your experience and advise and I will be ordering the bags next Monday, the UMAi bags and the TUB-EX smoker bags.
I am even going to make some salamis.
Thanks for posting the photos.
Cheers,
Jan.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Feb 01, 2014 05:04

Rudy that stuff looks great and I'm being forced to giving it a try.

Crusty, the Tublin®10 product and the Umai Drysteak bag are the same thing. Both are manufactured in Denmark by the Tub-Ex people. The Americans decided to market it as Umai, and don't even give credit as to the source on their website. Google Tublin®10 and you will get more technical info about the bag than from the Umai site.

The Umai group unfortunately has the distribution rights for North and South America and for me is the only source with their ridiculous pricing.
Janlab
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Janlab » Sat Feb 01, 2014 16:21

Had the dry aged steak tonight, after three weeks in the bag. It was fantastic, but quite different from my usual wet aged (4 weeks) T-bones; much richer flavour, and slightly less juice.

Being a frugal man, i did not trim the rind of prior to berbequeing, but would definitely do that next time! It is just too rich and imparts too much additional flavour

Will try to get photos on.

Btw, even if you pay $11/kg for the meat, adding the $4 for a bag is still a bargain! You can't buy meat like that anywhere!

And; it seems all bags come from Denmark. And the price number is the same everywhere, only, it is in Euros in Germany, and Dollars in Aus and the US.
rich71

Post by rich71 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 18:29

I am new to sausage making. Figured that these aren't dog poop bags, so they must cost some money. Just got their dry sausage kit and Marianski fermented sausage book. Has anyone tried using the umai dry sausage bags? Any tips?
Life is hard without good eats
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 19:51

Hi rich71,
We have some members on the forum who have used these bags with great success.
Go to the UMAi website and their forum for more information.
Good Luck,
Jan.
kellycanter

Post by kellycanter » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:02

You have shared information and mention few prices also which will be helpful to assume the price when ever we want to buy.
Misty Gully

Post by Misty Gully » Sun Mar 09, 2014 07:31

Hello everyone, this is Andrea from Misty Gully. There seems to be some mystery and confusion in regards to the Dry Aged Steak and Charcuterie bags that are on the market around the world and I would like to be very open as you can see in our website about them so that you can all understand each type that is available.
Basically as touched on in this forum the Dry Aged Steak and Charcuterie bags no matter what branding they have on them whether they be UMAI or our Banquet Bags are all made by the same manufacturer in Denmark/Tubex. They have appointed many companies around the world to distribute their bags to the retail market, they are not set up themselves to sell direct to end users and put their focus into looking after their distributors.
As mentioned in our website we originally sold the UMAI bags a year or two ago and as the price was unsustainable and the supplier was not supportive of us as their Australian distributor we parted ways. They led us to believe that they were the manufacturer and from what I can tell did and are doing their best to keep that elusion on going.
We have since struck up a very helpful and supportive relationship with Tubex and we now have full access to their range of products which we are slowly introducing into our product range that we have named Banquet Bags. We call them Banquet bags as we will be selling their full range of bags that will allow for Dry Aging, Charcuterie, Smoking and Cooking/Sous Vide.
Based on information supplied to us by the manufacturer we decided to sell the Dry Age Steak bags and Charcuterie bags. Unlike the other branded bags our bags are TWO DIFFERENT grades of bags, our Charcuterie bags are manufactured specifically for that process and you CAN smoke in them as well, you can also Dry Age in them. However please be aware that you CANNOT smoke in the Dry Age bags but you can use them for Charcuterie, they just dont work as quickly.
We will be adding new sizes very soon to be used for Salami and not far down the track we will also be offering their Sous Vide bags.
We also now offer an All Australian solution for using Channel Vacuum sealers that we call Channel Helper and will be adding to our Vacuum sealer range as well.
If anyone has any questions or would like a specific size to be made available to them please let me know.
By the way, we do not sell them in cure and bag kits with recipes etc as we do not feel that is required, most people who want to use these bags for Charcuterie have developed their own recipes and procedures, the Banquet bags are to be considered as an AID to the process. We are always very cautious with people who are new to Charcuterie and do our best to make sure that do their homework first. There is so much that you need to know and understand about the process and it cannot safely be imparted in an email or in short instructions, we always advise that people get themselves a good book first. We prefer people to come looking for what they need and to not come to us so that we can tell them what to buy.
As we are no longer selling the UMAI branded bags we have had to start from scratch and as we are so busy it is taking a little longer than we would like but the information and FAQs are slowly growing as our range builds.
I hope this was helpful.
Misty Gully

Post by Misty Gully » Sun Mar 09, 2014 07:41

Hi Andrea from Misty Gully / Smoked and Cured / Smokehouse Flavours again, just one last thing to mention, we feel that these bags need to be affordable for everyone to use so our products are priced accordingly and are also available to Food Service and Manufacturers. I guess the drop in the exchange rate has made it more affordable for the USA to come shopping in Australia as we have been getting orders from there as well.
We cover Australia and New Zealand and will very soon have a sole distributor set up in New Zealand who is just waiting for his stock and formatting his website, his pricing will be just as affordable. If there is anyone in New Zealand who would like his contact details please let me know.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Mar 09, 2014 07:51

Andrea, we certainly appreciate the information. Thank you so much! This clears up a lot of questions we have.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Thu Mar 27, 2014 01:08

31% weight loss so far. It is taking much longer than anticipated. Been about 10 weeks so far. Hopefully 3 more weeks I will hit that magic 38% !
Misty Gully

Post by Misty Gully » Thu Mar 27, 2014 02:20

Hi Dave, Andrea from Misty Gully/Banquet Bags. Just curious to know which UMAI bags you are using, is it the ones for Charcuterie or Dry Aging. Our two different Banquet bag options are two different grades of bags, you can use the UMAI Dry Aging bags for Charcuterie but the manufacturer recommends a different grade for Charcuterie that is more porous and will age/dry more quickly. From my knowledge I dont beleive that the UMAI bags are different grades so that may be why it is taking a little longer than you expected.
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sat Mar 29, 2014 00:34

I bought the Charcuterie Kit Andrea. It is indeed much longer than advertised. The wait will hopefully be worth it though. I'm not going anywhere :)
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Sun Apr 27, 2014 15:54

Coppa finally ready. Began January 11, sliced April 27. 35% weight loss. More fat than I anticipated too but tastes delicious indeed. The ends were much drier and excellent snack meat. This middle portion will be delicious on a sandwich I do believe.