UMAi dry aging bags

crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

UMAi dry aging bags

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 20:41

Hi,
Do we have members that actually used UMAi dry aging bags for beef.
Reports are great sofar, even for using them for aging/curing coppa, pancetta, bresaola etc etc. I am intrigued with what they claim can de done with them with great results.
Cheers,
Jan.
lrdeer
Beginner
Beginner

Post by lrdeer » Fri Nov 29, 2013 07:29

Jan,
I have been using these bags for nearly 6 months now, they are really amazing how they work.
I have attached a few photos of some Charcuterie that I have made. So far all have turned out perfect with no spoilage, maybe a little tweaking of the recipes to add a bit more flavour is all that is needed. I have added a few photos for all to view with a description of each.
1. Pork Cappicola (80 days) rubbed inside and out with 50/50 Chipotle powder and Paprika.
2. Venison Bresaola (31 days).
3. Tangello Lonzino finished with brushed on Cointreau prior to sealing in bag (35 days).
This is a very simple process, everything can be made all year round without fear of spoilage.
PhImageoto
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 21:52

Hi,
What a beautiful array of charcuterie you made. Thanks for sharing.
Did you buy the UMAi bags locally? I thought Misty Gully sold them but they are no longer
mentioned in their products list.
Congratulations,
Jan.
lrdeer
Beginner
Beginner

Post by lrdeer » Fri Nov 29, 2013 23:15

Jan, I am not aware of any Aussie supplier, I bought mine direct from UMAI in the States.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Nov 30, 2013 00:10

WooHoo! I gotta try this. We're just back from a trip to Spain, and I'd love to do a ham in "jamón Ibérico" style. I'll never be able to duplicate it because the best ones are from acorn-fed hogs of a particular breed, but I'd love to see how close I can get. Looks like this UMAi bag technique might give me a shot at it.

...any idea how it works? It looks like the things are oxygen permeable.

Thanks, Crusty, for sharing. Tell me more!
Duk
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 05:42

Ducko,
I can tell you sweet bugger all about these UMAi bags. Irdeer seems to be the local expert by just looking at what he made sofar. He might be the best man to send a PM to for more info.
My knowledge goes as far as seeing a TV program about ageing beef in these bags,
UNTIL I noticed them mentioned on You-Tube. Plenty of info there as well.
I even became a member of their Forum so I could ask questions, you better join as well Mate!
A USA order for the bags will have to wait until after the XMAS rush, with my luck they certainly will get lost in the rush.
Luckily I will not be without quality coppa and lonzini, Steve Plas from Perth is making some for me as well. It's great to have friends that are interested in Charcuterie.
Cheers Mate,
Jan.
Steve Schroeder
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Steve Schroeder » Sun Dec 08, 2013 03:40

Ive used these bags for basic fermented sausages, and think its a great idea. I think it's a Canadian company.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 20:21

Hi Steve,
Can you elaborate a bit more on what you did, made and the recipe. I am keen on trying this when the Christmas rush is over. Did you use a culture?
Thank you,
Jan.
oneills
User
User

Post by oneills » Sat Dec 14, 2013 02:59

Hi Jan.
There are a couple of Aussie stores selling these. Try www.thecookingshack.com.au or www.mistygully.com.au
Both these places have online ordering. Misty Gully is changing their name to Smoked & Cured

Cheers
Steve
Misty Springs Free Range Pigs
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 06:37

Hi Steve,
Thank you for that info. I will try The Cooking Shack, as Misty Gully didn't list them last time I checked the inventory.
Dis you use that casing spreader yet?
Cheers Mate,
Jan.
oneills
User
User

Post by oneills » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:57

I havent had a chance yet but am killing a couple of pigs next month, then it will get a workout.
Misty Springs Free Range Pigs
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Dec 14, 2013 23:48

Here's some informatio about the company that makes UMAi dry bags, as listed on LinkedIn at http://www.linkedin.com/company/umai-drybagsteak-llc
UMAi Dry (DrybagSteak, LLC) is a Minneapolis-based company that has developed the application of UMAi Dry material, a moisture-permeable material, for dry aging beef and dry curing meat in ordinary restaurant or household refrigerators.

The membrane-like material releases moisture and allows some oxygen to permeate to create the flavor and texture of dry-aged steak or dry-cured products like capicola, pancetta, bresaola, lonza and other traditional southern European dry cured meats.

UMAi Dry is sold as bags for application requiring a vacuum sealer. UMAi Dry prevents the introduction of odors, mold, bacteria and off-flavors into the aging meat and prevents the aging meat from affecting foods that are stored nearby.

We currently sell our product both direct and through our website: www.umaidry.com.
Specialties

in-house dry aging and dry curing meat expertise, UMAi Dry for dry aging beef or lamb, UMAi Salumi, UMAi Charcuterie
If you go to their website, you arrive at http://www.drybagsteak.com/ which says (in part)
The material forms a bond with the proteins on the surface of the beef allowing moisture to permeate out while blocking oxygen and off-flavors.
Their "Artisan Salumi" kit comes with a kit which includes Bactoferm T-SPX culture, plus a copy of Stan Marianski's "The Art of Making Fermented Sausages," so it's bound to be good.

So tell me, is this an alternative to building a temperature/humidity controlled fermenting system? It looks like you can do this in a refrigerator with no modification. If that's true, then
WooHoo! WooHoo! Stan'-you-se'f back! Feathers gonna fly when duh duck gits into the fermented sausage bidniss!
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 06:10

Ducko,
I am hellbend on trying these bags for everything they suggest. I like modern inventions, innovation and techniques although I am still leaning towards the old fashioned way of making various kinds of charcuterie.
It's bloody hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
So you and me will be the first newbies on the forum to give these UMAi bags a flogging. I am not talking about "irdeer" He an old hand at this, looking at his photo's.
Cheers,
Jan.
oops1215
Beginner
Beginner

Umai dry bags

Post by oops1215 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 23:26

el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Dec 29, 2013 23:36

oops1215 wrote:...too easy.
...sure does look that way, but if it can allow me to avoid sinking megabucks into a temperature/humidity controlled rig, it might be worth a shot.

However, I believe in the "second mouse gets the cheese" philosophy- - I'd sure like to hear from someone who has tried the things. (Also, I'm cheap. ...and you thought ROSS was bad...!)