Cold smoking fish with Umai

Kunde

Cold smoking fish with Umai

Post by Kunde » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:59

have anybody make like this 3 in 1 system?
http://moneres.upv.es/vod/upvrtv/TV/Vid ... Bandas.mp4
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Apr 03, 2016 08:00

Hey Kunde, welcome to the forum! Interesting video, but my Spanish is not quite good enough to determine just exactly what they are doing with that salmon. And I don't see any cold smoking in there? There is a also a video about making a faux cold smoked salmon on the Umai site https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HinWlQoOhDo

I have to admit that the amounts of salt they use and the long curing times make me skeptical about the whole process. I cold smoke and hot smoke several salmon each year and have developed a good technique achieving good consistent results each time.

But I certainly would like to hear from anyone who has tried making this style of dry cured salmon. :grin: Below are pics of my 2015 cold smoked wild sockeye. It's the real thing.

Kunde

Post by Kunde » Sun Apr 03, 2016 13:42

Yes there is no English version, but here is document about it, how they make etc...
This is the newest way to do it -3 in 1. They use Tublin 5.
That Umai video is old

I just waiting my new liquid smoke from factory for testing.

Cold Smoking salmon
redzed wrote:And I don't see any cold smoking in there? .
They spray liquid smoke :mrgreen:
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Apr 04, 2016 00:27

From what I understand and something we have discussed here before, the only retail TubEx product sold in North America is Tublin 10. The smokeable Tublin 05 is not sold by the Umai people who have distribution rights for North and South America. I wonder why? :shock:
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 03:51

Chris, I asked that same question on the UMAi forum twice. The first time I got a warning to toe the line. The 2nd time I answered a question that was asked on their forum and both posts got deleted.
Talk about Gestapo tactics.

Never mind, I am going on Holiday to Europe for 5 weeks shortly and will be attending The Frankfurt IFFA exposition where all manufacturers, importers etc of machinery, casings, flavours for the meat industry will be displaying their goods, procedures and new technologies.
Probably a lot to learn in a short time.
No doubt the Tub-Ex people will be there and get some printed info.
Cheers,
Jan.
Kunde

Post by Kunde » Mon Apr 04, 2016 08:23

Jens has confirmed to me that he be there from Sunday to Tuesday late
Kunde

Post by Kunde » Mon Apr 04, 2016 09:27

Tub-Ex is not take part .
I missunderstand. He will visit as guest there.
Sorry!
Kunde

Post by Kunde » Wed Jul 20, 2016 05:16

Cold smoked salmon file
dry 2% per day and 10 days "cold smoked" in the bag. Taste and texture was excellent

redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Jul 26, 2016 07:52

I looked at at that recipe for "smoked" salmon on the Umai site and am curious as to why it needs all those spices? Kunde, did you prepare your salmon that way?
Kunde

Post by Kunde » Tue Jul 26, 2016 15:04

just salt and liquid smoke nothing else and keeping 10 days in the bag.
Not curing at first in zip bag. Just make same way as they make in my first video link in Spain
Kunde

Post by Kunde » Wed Sep 28, 2016 03:01

this time 17% dry