Happy To Help If I Can

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 22:07

Hi Siara,
I was just wondering about something.... Do Poles like hot peppers? I've never known and I've never asked. In the southwestern US we put jalapenos, habaneros, and all sort of other hot peppers in our food. Lately, there is a trend all over America to eat more "hot stuff". It seems like every "take out" burger has hot peppers on it these days. How about Poland? Have you folks gone pepper crazy yet? Can you think of any Polish foods that are hot, hot, hot?
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
chudziak
Beginner
Beginner

Post by chudziak » Tue Apr 20, 2010 22:15

Hi , everyone :mrgreen: I'm not Shadow :wink: :lol: (I'm chudziak) but I try to write about kind of wood we use in Poland. It's alder ( latin Alnus) , beech ( lat. Fagus), hornbeam (lat Carpinus) and friut trees like apple, pear. Could you find latin name of hickory because I think I haven't this kind of trees. :lol:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 23:02

Hi Chud, good to hear from you! I've looked to see if Poland has the hickory tree. Sorry to report it does not. What a terrible thing. Maybe we should start a forest of this stuff. Here is more information:

Hickory Trees in the genus Carya (from Ancient Greek κάρυον "nut") are commonly known as Hickory, derived from the Powwhatan of Virginia. The genus includes 19 species of deciduous trees with pinnately compound leaves and large nuts. Twenty four species are native from China and Indochina, with twelve in Northern America including the USA, Canada, and Mexico.
Please try looking here: http://www.treenames.net/ti/carya/carya.html
Great information and photos too!

Heck, I know that doesn't help much. I sure wish you could taste our hickory. Nearly all the bacon in the USA is smoked with hickory (or today, it is produced with Hickory Liquid Smoke!) which is not really too bad. I like to use Liquid Hickory Smoke in lots of products. It is a naturally distilled liquid made from real hickory chips.
And most other pork products are smoked in Hickory. They just seem to go together.
I've got an idea. I could send you a couple of pounds of Hickory sawdust to try. You would have to moisten it for 20 minutes before use. Then try smoking your favorite pork sausages with the sawdust. I think you'll really like it.
Where should I send it? Should I package it in any special way? I would really like you to try this special smoke. Let me know what you think.
Your friend, Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Wed Apr 21, 2010 01:25

Chuckwagon speaks the truth about Hickory. In my small patch of paradise we are blessed with Hickory trees. In fact I have named our small farm "Hickory Hill Farm". Funny thing is though, I buy my hickory sawdust. I don't really have a good way to turn the wood into chunks or chips.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Apr 21, 2010 06:54

Hey Hey Chudziak,
You just can't go wrong with Alder wood. Our Pacific Northwest Indians have used it for years to smoke salmon fish. Today, if you have a little money to spend, they have you sit around a big ol' fire while they stake out a trout or a salmon to a thin cedar wood board. They place the board upright around the fire and cook the fish. It absorbs flavor from the cedar board and of course the alderwood in the fire. It sorts of cooks and dries at the same time while you get hungry and drink lots of booze! Finally, they feed you the fish. And the smoke, and the flavor of the fish is just incredible. Its expensive prepared this way and most of us cannot afford such luxury. However, we can make it at home.
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
chudziak
Beginner
Beginner

Post by chudziak » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:43

I have taken some photos of my wood ,which I use for smoking.
It's alder ( latin Alnus)
It's beech ( lat. Fagus),
On the back you can see birch wood ,we try not to use it for smoking. If ysomeone wants to use the birch , must take only wood without a bark.
And this is spring in my garden :lol:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Spring?

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Apr 25, 2010 02:22

It looks like spring has come to you early. We are still in the snow. However, your pictures excite us and we look forward to about 4 more weeks, until we can cut the grass again. Why do people grow a lawn of grass, just so they can cut it for three months?
The photos are great. And Alder wood is so, so, very nice for smoking. It is light and aromatic especially for fish. I like to mix it with a little apple or cherry to spice it up a bit. Anyway, the Poles have smoked sausage longer than our country has actually been a country. So we will listen to your recommendations. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge. Perhaps one day we can all meet together and I will Barbecue for you all! Yes, we'll roast cows and pigs, and turkeys, and chickens... all covered with western barbecue sauce! Then we'll have a lot of beer to wash it all down. We'll have plenty of corn on the cob, and mashed potatoes, and moist paper napkins to keep your moustaches all clean! I'll even show you how to ride my horse!
Best Wishes, Chuckwagon
PS.... Does anyone want recipes for western barbecue sauce?
I've got plenty to share. Some are just the VERY best!
spud
User
User

Post by spud » Sun Apr 25, 2010 02:53

Hi everyone.
Looks like heaven, all that open space and I bet you have a shed as well :sad:

Does anyone want recipes for western barbecue sauce? - sure do :lol:

cheers spud
shadow

Post by shadow » Fri May 07, 2010 23:03

Chuckwagon wrote:I was just wondering about something.... Do Poles like hot peppers? I've never known and I've never asked. In the southwestern US we put jalapenos, habaneros, and all sort of other hot peppers in our food. Can you think of any Polish foods that are hot, hot, hot?
Best wishes, Chuckwagon

Ooo, yes we do

And also we would like to have recipies for barbecue sauce. Share with us.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat May 08, 2010 08:33

[USA] How To Cook Barbecued "Pulled Pork" Shoulder

In the eastern United States, barbecued "pulled pork" shoulder is very popular. After the meat has been cooked several hours, it is shredded and eaten on white bread with a little barbecue sauce poured over it. Using the "rub" recipe, sprinkle the mixture liberally over a large pork shoulder and rub it in with your hands. Refrigerate the shoulder over night. Pre-heat the smoker to 225°-250° F. (121° C.) then begin cooking the meat. Plan to cook the shoulder one hour per 1-1/2 lbs. of meat. Every hour, spray it with your favorite sweet liquid with a spritz bottle. I use apple or cherry juice; some prefer a liqueur of some sort. This will give you a nice "bark" (crusty surface). When the meat temperature reaches 165° F. (73° C.), wrap the shoulder in heavy aluminum foil and continue heating it until the internal meat temperature it reaches 200°- 205° F. (96° C.) Finally, wrap the meat in towels and place it in a warm cooler to allow it to rest for an hour as the juices redistribute in the meat. The rest period is important as the cooking and makes a big difference in the finished product.

[USA] "Cowboy's Campfire Rub"

1 Tblspn. whole cumin
1 Tblspn. kosher salt
3 Tblspns. turbinado sugar
1 Tblspn. coarsely ground black pepper
1 Tblspn. oregano
1 Tblspn. thyme
4 Tblspns. sweet paprika
2 Tblspns. chili powder
1 tspn. whole mustard seed
1 tspn mustard powder
1 tspn whole coriander seed
1 tspn ground coriander seed
1 tspn ground bay leaf -- optional
1 tspn celery seed
1-1/2 tspns granulated garlic
3/4 tspn cayenne

[USA] Sergeant Snoody's Honey-Mustard Barbecue Sauce"
(Carolina Style Mustard Based Barbecue Sauce)

1/2 cup prepared yellow mustard
1/2-cup honey
1/4-cup light brown sugar
1/4-cup white vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)

[USA] Sergeant Snoody's Red Vinegar Barbecue Sauce"
(South Carolina Style Barbecue Sauce)

2 cups apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup tomato paste
2 tblspns. cilantro
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup dark corn syrup
1/4 cup water
2 tspns. uniodized salt
1 tspn. ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1/2 tspn. cayenne
* Simmer all ingredients a few minutes stirring constantly.

[USA] "Navajo Simmerin' Sauce"
(Traditional Basting BBQ Sauce)

1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1 cup onion (minced)
1 clove of garlic (minced)
1 tblspn. sugar
1 cup white vinegar
Directions: Slightly sauté the onion and garlic in butter. Simmer all ingredients for 10 minutes. Baste any barbecued meat as it cooks.

[USA] "Eastern Utah Barbeque Sauce"
(BBQ Finishing Sauce With Honey)

2 tblspns. olive oil
1-1/2 cups onions (minced)
2 tblspns. garlic cloves (minced)
28 oz. canned tomatoes (crushed)
6 oz. tomato paste
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tspn. chili powder
1 tspn. coriander (ground)
3 tblspns. lemon juice (fresh)
1/4 tspn. red pepper flakes
1 tspn. Tabasco sauce
2 tspns. oregano leaves (freshly minced)
2 bay leaves
4 thyme sprigs or 1 tspn. dry thyme
1 tblspn. black pepper (freshly ground)
4 tblspns. honey
1 tspn. salt

Directions: Process all ingredients together until smooth. Simmer all ingredients thirty minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Strain and discard any solid material. Brush on barbecued meat only 60 seconds before it is removed from the grill. (Don`t allow the sugar to burn) Or, spoon it on barbecued meat as it is served on a plate.

[USA] The very famous "St. Louis Red"
(BBQ Finishing Sauce Made With Processed Grocery Items)

4 cups ketchup
1 bottle (10 ounces) A.1. Steak Sauce
1 bottle (10 ounces) Heinz 57 Steak Sauce
1-1/2 cups apple cider
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup dark corn syrup
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup molasses
1 tspn. liquid smoke
2 tspns. black pepper (freshly ground)
1 tspn. garlic powder
* Stir all ingredients as they simmer a few minutes. Place on barbecued meat only 30 seconds before it is removed from the grill. (Don`t allow the sugar to burn) Or, spoon it on barbecued meat as it is served on a plate. Some people refrigerate it and serve it cold with any meat.

[USA] "Cactus Jack's Hot Mopwater"
(Barbeque Finishing Sauce)

2 cups cold water mixed with
3 tblspns. cornstarch
1/2 cup white vinegar
6 tblspns. brown sugar
1/2 cup catsup
1/2 tspn. onion powder
1-1/2 tspns. paprika
1/2 tspn. garlic salt
1/2 tspn. black pepper
1/3 tspn. Habanero (seeded & minced)

*Stir, stir, stir! Mix the cold water with the cornstarch and set it aside. Simmer all other ingredients together over medium heat in a saucepan for a few minutes before stirring in the cornstarch solution. Continue stirring as the mixture returns to boil slightly. When it starts to thicken, remove the sauce from the heat, allow it to rest ten minutes, then brush it on barbecued meat a few minutes before it is removed from the grill.

[USA] "Utah Simmerin' Sauce"
(Slightly Spicy BBQ Sauce)

1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tblspns. paprika
2 tspns. salt
2 tspns. dry mustard
2 bay leaves
1/2 tspn. chili powder
1/4 tspn. cayenne pepper
1/4 cup worcestershire
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2 cups tomato juice
1/2 cup catsup
1 cup water
* Simmer all ingredients a few minutes stirring constantly.

I hope you try these sauces. My favorite is "St. Louis Red"
Best Wishes, Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Sun Feb 12, 2012 06:19, edited 3 times in total.
Trosky
User
User

Post by Trosky » Sat May 08, 2010 12:13

Thanks for all the recipes Chuckwagon they all sound good. What is turbinado sugar? Is that a brand name? Trosky
chudziak
Beginner
Beginner

Post by chudziak » Sat May 08, 2010 18:33

I also thanks but I'm afraid that some products are scarce in Poland for example :dark corn syrup , A.1. Steak Sauce, Heinz 57 Steak Sauce :sad: Oryginal Apple cider is also hard-to-reach ,I think. But I try some of this recipe using improvisation :lol:
I'm not sure ; catsup is it ketchup ?
Trosky wrote:What is turbinado sugar?
I also don't know :???:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun May 09, 2010 01:51

Hi Guys,
If you can`t get turbinado sugar, just use regular brown sugar for a substitute. Turbinado sugar is made from crushing freshly cut sugar cane. The extracted juice is evaporated by heat then crystallized. The crystals are spun in a centrifuge, or turbine (thus the name), to remove excess moisture and molasses. The final product is sugar in light brown crystals.

I was afraid that some of the products mentioned might be hard to find in Poland. The recipe will work with apple juice as well as apple cider. In America, Ketchup and Catsup is the very same product with two different spellings. As far as the "steak sauce" goes, here are a couple of good substitutes for the steak sauces.

[USA] "Grubstake #57 Great Steak Sauce"

1/4 cup seedless raisins
1 can (small) tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 tblspn. lemon juice
3 tblspns. Worcestershire sauce
3 tblspns. brown sugar
1 tspn. salt
1/2 tspn. black pepper (finely ground)

*Heat the water and soak the raisins twenty minutes. Mix all the ingredients inside a blender then simmer the sauce until it reaches the thickness you prefer. Adjust the sweet - tart taste to your own preference.

[USA] "Hey Juan"A-1 Steak Sauce

1 cup catsup
1/2 cup onion (chopped)
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
2 tblspns. soy sauce
2 tblspns. brown sugar
1 tblspn. prepared mustard

*Combine all the ingredients inside a saucepan and simmer them uncovered for 30 minutes or until the sauce reaches a thickened consistency. Stir the sauce occasionally. Cool the mixture and strain it to remove the onion and garlic. Store the sauce inside a refrigerator.

[USA] Here`s how to make your own catsup:

6 pounds tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
4 jalapeño or serrano chiles,
(stems and seeds removed, chopped)
1 red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, chopped
1 cup brown sugar
1½ cups cider vinegar
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 to 2 teaspoons salt

* Cook the tomatoes for 15 minutes, then drain off the juice. Add the celery, onion, chiles, and bell pepper and simmer for 1 hour. Add the sugar, vinegar, and spices and simmer for an additional hour. Remove from the heat and puree until smooth. Pour into sterilized jars and process in a hot water bath or freeze the mixture for use later.

Best Wishes, Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Fri Mar 04, 2011 09:17, edited 1 time in total.
shadow

Post by shadow » Sun May 09, 2010 21:09

chudziak,

you can reach apple or pear cider in IKEA restaurant if it's close to you.

PZDR
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon May 10, 2010 00:23

Hey Shadow & Chucziak,
Are you able to find English "Worchestershire" sauce? It's sort of like Chinese Soy sauce.

.............................................................................. Click On Arrow To View Next Page
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Fri May 27, 2011 06:45, edited 2 times in total.