Happy To Help If I Can

shadow

Post by shadow » Mon May 10, 2010 18:32

This is my favorite sauce for tomatos since few months. Ussually I use only little bit of salt and worchestershire. We can buy it in Auchan (hipermarket), unfortunetly only in big ones. Smaller shops don't have in their offer. :sad:

Regards
spud
User
User

Post by spud » Thu May 13, 2010 12:48

WOW there are some great recipes for BBQ sauces Chuckwagon.

I too suffer from lack of consumer products that are relatively easy to come by in other places. Thanks also for the alternates, these well help for sure.

We have jumped along from Peppers to smoking wood and now sauces so I really dont think it matters if I ask this question here.

The last batch of chicken I made were perfect (well just about), they were juicy, tasted GREAT and have all gone.. sorry no picture!

Question is about using OATS replacing 1/2 the added extra fat if thats required.
If non is required then leaner meats are used and 1/3 cup per kg of oats added.

This is due to diet changes and I refuse to give up sausages.
I have read a little about the substituting of raw milled oats. Texture is OK and the juicyess is still there, well so users are saying.

Any comments and advice appreciated.
Thanks again CW for those recipes..

cheers spud
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu May 13, 2010 13:30

You are mighty welcome my friend! Are you going to try making your own catsup (ketchup)? Also, the Heinz 57 recipe isn't too bad either.
You should see my recipe for rattlesnake bite remedy!
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
spud
User
User

Post by spud » Sat May 15, 2010 06:05

I shudder to think what that would be Chuckwagon let allow ask for it.
I have a great one for Prop Wash as well.

cheers spud
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat May 15, 2010 08:17

Oh yummmmo! Prop wash! MMmmmm
Hey spud, did you know there is a Fat Substitute on the market now for people who must cut down on the real stuff. I've tried it and think it is great. It is a natural product made from oats and comes in powdered form. It can be put into any type sausage or even fresh burger for the grill. A little goes a long way. The Sausagemaker.com makes the stuff and it has been approved by the U.S.D.A. The product is called "Fat Replacer" and is not expensive at all. (except for shipping nowdays).
Oh, by the way, my Rattlesnake Bite Remedy is actually a salad dressing.
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
vagreys
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by vagreys » Fri Dec 23, 2011 02:00

Chuckwagon wrote:...[USA] Charlie Vergo`s Famous "Memphis Rub"

1 Tblspn. whole cumin
1 Tblspn. kosher salt
3 Tblspns. turbinado sugar
1 Tblspn. coarsely ground black pepper
1 Tblspn. oregano
1 Tblspn. thyme
4 Tblspns. sweet paprika
2 Tblspns. chili powder
1 tspn. whole mustard seed
1 tspn mustard powder
1 tspn whole coriander seed
1 tspn ground coriander seed
1 tspn ground bay leaf -- optional
1 tspn celery seed
1-1/2 tspns granulated garlic
3/4 tspn cayenne
Hi! Thanks for all the great recipes! Just saw this thread and recognized the ingredient list from my own Rendezvous-style dry rub recipe! I've posted it in a few forums over the years and expect it got picked up and the rest of the recipe cut away, somewhere along the way. I can say with certainty that this is not the Rendezvous recipe. Charlie Vergos was a friend of my grandfather, and I know Charlie never divulged his recipe (in fact, his recipe changed a little with each batch, according to mood and taste). One of his sons, Nick, gave out a recipe for Good Morning America in 2002, but it doesn't come close to what they actually use and serve in the restaurant, or what they sell to the public in jars. I've posted the complete recipe for my rub and ribs in the BBQ section, here.

Topic Split by Chuckwagon 12/23/11@07:45 See: Tom's Rendezvous-style Dry Rub for Ribs at this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?p=6011#6011
Last edited by vagreys on Fri Dec 23, 2011 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Dec 23, 2011 04:27

Hi Sausagemakers and Smoke Addicts!
Are you stumped with a question or do you have a particular problem you just can't seem to solve? Find "Hyde Park" (that's our "chat" forum) and post your question. If you don't receive an answer from someone with knowledge in that particular area, then send me a PM and I'll research it, squeeze the answer out of some "expert", or come up with an answer for you by intimidating someone, somewhere! Seriously, I may be able to help. So, shoot me a PM and I'll do what I can. I surely don't know it all - but I make a helluva good sourdough biscuit!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 20:52

Hey CW I am studying about tertiary amines and secondary amines as they relate to nitrates. I understand a little but I feel like I am missing quite a bit. Can you help me with some perspective by "breaking down" the matter :wink:?
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jan 18, 2012 00:30

Hmmm, methinks someone is testing the moderator again. :lol: This subject is wide as a Montana lariat loop and odiferous as trimethylamine in decaying fish. The subject needs to be narrowed and focused just a bit... sort of like riding your hoss into a taperin` gulch chasin' the herd. Do you have a more specific question? I could present you with an essay about amines and derivatives of one or more hydrogen atoms being replaced by alkyl substituents and still leave you with many questions. Ol` pal, your question is certainly worthy of a full course of study at a local university although the study of more important amines, including amino acids, biogenic amines, trimethylamine, and aniline, would certainly be of interest to sausage makers.

I wonder if this is the correct forum to discuss the topic. However, to answer your question without ridin` the hoss to death, perhaps the following will help you understand. Any amine`s classification is based on its N atom and if that atom has but one attached C, then the amine is considered "primary". A good example would be CH3NH2 which is methylamine having a primary amine because N has 1C attached (C not being relevant). Amines are NOT classified by their C atoms, rather by the N atom.

Jason, the terms you noted as "secondary" and "tertiary" are those with structures of a three-dimensional conformation in a protein chain. Secondary structure refers to the amide linkages. Tertiary structure refers to interactions of the side chains but science has not made the distinction perfectly clear (as you will observe variations). "Quaternary" structure refers to the interaction between separate chains in a multi-chain protein, however... you should be aware that it is possible to have quaternary ammonium ions, but not quaternary amines.

Now, about that garlic in your Goteborg... :mrgreen:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
story28
Passionate
Passionate

Post by story28 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 00:44

I knew you were going to bust my chops for that one. I see what you are saying though. It is all coming out of the book Meat and Science Applications. It says "...nitrite can form nitrosamines by reacting with secondary amines in cooked cured meat.."

I guess my only interest is understanding what that reaction is, but I don't have the scientific knowledge to understand it in scientific terms. Once I looked up secondary amines, I saw tertiary amines and I wondered what the difference was.