Happy To Help If I Can

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Happy To Help If I Can

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Apr 10, 2010 06:12

Hi everyone,
Its so nice to see this forum take shape. Perhaps we can grow together and help others. I'd like to introduce myself and offer any help that I may, to beginners - the best folks in the world!
I am "Chuckwagon" and have a wagon load of experience making sausage, hams, bacons, and dried meats. I really enjoy working with the Chr. Hansen bio-cultures and am experienced in most areas of sausage making. I retired from a few careers including my sausage company and from teaching at a university. I now write a food column in our local newspaper called the Chuckwagon Gourmet and find myself with some time to help others learn. I surely don't know it all, but perhaps I may answer a few questions that beginners may have. I once defended the writings of Stan Marianski on another sausage board, and have become friends with the big guy himself. I am convinced that Stanley Marianski is the leading authority in sausage making and meat preservation in the world today. Please pick up his latest books. They are marvelous. And yes, I even knew ol' Rytek Kutas in 1965 Las Vegas, Nevada. Now I'm giving away my age. Heck, I'm just happy that my IQ is still higher than my number of years on this planet!

Best wishes, Chuckwagon

P.S. Come on all you sausagemakers from all over the world! Join in the fun. Don't be shy. We are all friends here, so let's support our Polish and other friends on this site. Sign up and let's help each other learn!
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Sat Apr 07, 2012 08:28, edited 5 times in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
spud
User
User

Beginners rejoice we are in good hands

Post by spud » Tue Apr 13, 2010 01:35

Found U & I see U Chuckwagon. :lol:
Great to see U are still around for those kindly hints & directions that I'm used to seeing.
I see U have given up a little more knowledge about yourself which helps explain why U are in the "know" when the questions are flying. Truely everyone can get some fantastic assistance from U, as this Forum grows in memebers I'm sure U & others of the Founding Members will be in great demand.
For me as a relative Newbie I welcome the freshness and I guess a different approach that this forum can give me. Truely inspiring to know that in here are the same ones that I'm presently reading and digesting information from.
I'll apploigise up front for my sometimes silly questions but I was taught that there has never been any silly questions - just stupid answers.
I wish all the Forum founding Memebrs all the very best in your endevours and hope to eventually be able to assist a newbie myself some day. I look forward to a fruitful association with you all.

Best regards
Spud in Singapore.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Apr 13, 2010 08:44

Great to hear from you Graham. Hope all is well in Singapore. By the way, what is the relative humidity over there? You can probably hang fermented sausages right on your front porch eh? :wink: It is so dry here, the bushes follow the dogs around!
Hey, we got an answer from the administrator of this board. The "chatter" forum is listed as "Hyde Park" below. Let's open up some chat and get some folks making some great sausage!
I just made ten pounds of Kabanosy. I used Stan Marianski's recipe of course. It is the best! Wow, I could eat that stuff all day long.... I mean... I DO eat that stuff all day long! And my waist size proves it. I just may have to start using a horse girth strap instead of my belt to hold my pants up!
Anybody want the recipe for Kabanosy? Stan Marianski says it is probably this finest meat stick in the world today.
Best Wishes, Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
spud
User
User

Post by spud » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:21

Hi Chuckwagon
Not far wrong about hanging the odd sausage out front.
this is what it is right now.

Singapore » Singapore Weather Forecast
Current Conditions

26° C (79° F)
Broken Clouds

Rel. Humidity : 94%
Wind : From 20° at 1 mph
Pressure : 29.77"Hg (F) - Visibility : 6.21 mile - Dewpoint : 25° C
Heat Index : 29° C - Wind Chill : 26° C - Ceiling : 15000 feet

Not much use for anything except a BBQ and a Beer :lol:
I see the White Sausage pics and man they look great. Question but, :roll: How could anyone make that amount of cool sausage without much bench space, gezz I use the whole lot even to boil an egg.
What U think about giving them a whirl as my next experiment, I can follow the recipe here or in the Book unless there is some alterations.?
Know I wont be able to do the Kabanosy just yet as not fully set up for a smoke.
cheers spud
Siara
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Siara » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:04

Chuckwagon wrote:Anybody want the recipe for Kabanosy?
Why not, just post in "sausages" section, I'll post recipe from our Polish forum for comparison. Below version made by EAnna:

"W życiu piękne są tylko chwile"
Pozdrawiam
Siara
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Apr 13, 2010 23:11

Hi Siara, The photos are awesome. And the kabanosy looks superb. I noticed quite a large percentage of fat in the meat stick. Do you happen to know how much was used? I've tried to lighten up on the fat content a little in this dried sausage and have actually been quite successful. In the U.S., people buy a lot of meat sticks and jerky in "convenience stores" and gas stations. Some of it is pretty bad. Others aren't bad at all, but I would venture to say if kabanosy were more available here in the states, it would be the only meat stick bought up. It is that good. Maybe some day it will become more popular in the U.S. as people discover how much flavor it has. Thanks for the photos. Best wishes, Chuckwagon
Siara
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Siara » Wed Apr 14, 2010 07:23

Chuckwagon wrote:I noticed quite a large percentage of fat in the meat stick. Do you happen to know how much was used?
Chuckwagon, I'll answer in the "Stan Marianski's delicious "Kabanosy"" topic, so we keep all recipes tips and tricks in one place.
Pozdrawiam
Siara
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

beginners

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Apr 15, 2010 22:11

Hi Spud, I can't even imagine 94% relative humidity. Holy cow, it might as well be raining eh? How do you endure that much humidity. When you shower in the morning, you can't become dry with a dozen towels! There is just no dryness in anthing at all. In the American west, the atmosphere is so dry it has to rain twice to get wet! And we love it!
Hey spud, I see that the taxable GST in Singapore was increased to 4% in 2003, to 5% in 2004, and to 7% on 1 July 2007. Because of the economic recession, Singapore's economy expanded by only 1.1% in year 2008, much lower than the expected 4.5% to 6.5% growth, while the unemployment rate was 2.8%. The economy was expected to contract by up to 8% in 2009 and unemployment could rise to 5%, according to several private-sector economists. This recession has affected everyone across the globe. Perhaps we'll be making sausages very soon for our own subsistance rather than convenience or finer flavor. We should all know how to make our own!
Best wishes, Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Apr 16, 2010 21:35

Hi Siara,
Thank you very much for your helpfulness! And for your consideration.
I've had a few replies saying how much they've enjoyed your recipe for white sausage - kielbasa!
I love this sausage soooooo much! It is the very best. I noticed that you don't have a vertical stuffer. Is there anything I may help you with? A stainless steel 5 pound vertical stuffer is almost 200 dollars US now. (Too much in my opinion) but once in a while, you can get one on sale for quite a bit less at Nothern Tool. If you are interested, let me know and I'll find their emal address.
Your friend, Chuckwagon
Siara
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Siara » Mon Apr 19, 2010 15:56

Chuckwagon, this is very kind of you. This picture, is not actually mine :cry: but made by one of our polish forum members. I do have vertical stuffer, but still thanks for your kind help offer.
Pozdrawiam
Siara
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 08:06

Hi Siara, Do you think some of the Polish members of this forum would like to have some other recipes from around the world. We have Africa's BorWors, and America's "jerky" from the native Indians. There are many other recipes such as the ones from Cuba and Haiti etc. We even have some South American recipes from the peoples of those nations. Some are quite good. Would the Poles like to look at them? We are having a hard time getting anyone to respond to our messages.
Best Wishes, Chuckwagon
Siara
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Siara » Tue Apr 20, 2010 08:55

Chuckwagon wrote:Hi Siara, Do you think some of the Polish members of this forum would like to have some other recipes from around the world.
Yes, even if this is a bit silent here right now, just post some interesting recipes. I'll encourage our polish forum members for bigger activity here.
For couple of weeks nothing was happening here, so probably they stopped to visit this part of our page :wink:
Pozdrawiam
Siara
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 09:14

Thanks Siara, I'll post a bunch of great recipes for your consideration. Some will be absolutely new to the Polish people. However, they will be pretty good!
I would never presume to know how to make better sausage then you Polish people! You are the best is the world. But, perhaps, we just might have have some DIFFERENT recipes for you to look at.
Our best wishes, Chuckwagon
shadow

Post by shadow » Tue Apr 20, 2010 21:12

Welcome to everyone,

I'll try to do my best and help to grow our hobby, so please don't hesatite to correct me or to fill my words if there'll be a need.

Just be open

Regards
Shadow
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Apr 20, 2010 22:00

Hi Shadow,
Thanks for your reply. We are really looking forward to visiting with you and trading experiences. Are you a professional sausage maker? What kind of wood do you use to smoke meat with? We've found hickory is our best hardwood here. But it doesn't grow in the western US where I am located. So we have to trade our delicious Vernal honey for hickory cut in the eastern states such as the Carolinas about 2,000 miles away!
Shadow, have you ever hand-rubbed bacon with honey? It is wonderful. Mix your Peklisol cure with salt and a couple of cups of honey. Rub it into the pork belly then wrap it in heavy butcher paper. Place it into your refrigerator to cure for a week, then rinse it off and smoke it. Cook the belly until the internal meat temperature reaches 150 degrees F. (66 degrees Centigrade). Honey rubbed bacon is exquisite. I hope you try it.

Best wishes,
Chuckwagon

..........................................................................Click On Arrow To View Next Page
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Fri May 27, 2011 06:41, edited 1 time in total.