grinder plates

mking5
Beginner
Beginner

grinder plates

Post by mking5 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 19:10

Is there a front and back to the grinder plates that the knife rests against?
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 19:23

Nope. :lol:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon

P.S. Fire away with questions. If they stretch beyond my limited knowledge, I'll find an answer from someone in the know.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
mking5
Beginner
Beginner

Post by mking5 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 19:27

ok. tks.
tacklebox
Beginner
Beginner

Post by tacklebox » Wed Apr 20, 2011 09:19

Only when it's installed in the grinder :wink:
~Joe~

I haven't a clue what I'm doing, but I love playing with my sausage!
Nie mam pojęcia co robię, ale uwielbiam bawić się z moimi kiełbasy!
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 19:36

Hello all,
Got a couple of questions in regards to Grinder Plates? Since the Scratch and dent model I bought did not come with a manual and so far I have not been able to find a copy online I am hope I can pick your brains on these items and there intended uses.
1.) What is this type of Grinder Plate used for? (see attached Photo) This one is metal and I assume its intended purpose is some form of Course Grind?

2.) The following two pictures I am completely baffled on they appear to mount on the grinder in place of the grinder plate but I have not been able to get it to mount so I am wondering what the intended purpose of it is etc.

All help in solving these to mysteries would be appreciated.
Thanks,
John
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 07:43

Hi John,
If you are making a sausage with traditional textures, grind it using your large 1/2" or 3/8" plate. This will give you the "chew" you are looking for. Thanks for posting this very important question as this is a subject that most folks are concerned with.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Fri Apr 22, 2011 03:07, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Thu Apr 21, 2011 16:54

Isn't the first item a spacer to used if stuffing with the grinder? Looks too big to actually grind with.

Second one looks like it could be used to make a pasta. Just guessing here though on both.

Dave
beardedwonder5

Post by beardedwonder5 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 17:43

Kebbe?
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Fri Apr 22, 2011 05:12

While there's no actually front or back side it is important that you always use the same side of plate to blade. Over time the two will wear together and work more efficiently than if you flip the plate back and forth. Also if possible, it's ideal to get one plate per blade for the same reason. I took my plates and marked the outside face with a metal etcher so I know which side is which until they wear enough to tell visually.
Dutch
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Dutch » Mon Jan 09, 2012 20:42

John, from looking at the pictures that you posted, it looks to me that you have the Harbor Freight Electric Meat grinder.

The picture of the plate that you posted is their "Coarse" plate.

The second picture is of the Kubbe former. Kebbe (Kibbeh) is a pocket of ground meat and grain (bulger wheat or rice) that is filled with spiced meat and grains that is baked or cooked in a broth.

Here is a link to the HF Electric Meat Grinder Product manual: http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manual ... /99598.pdf
I thought I had a handle on life until one day the handle fell off.
†
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 22:49

Hi jbk101,
Do realise that this mincer is only suitable for very light home use. If you are serious about sausagemaking you will have to keep saving for a more heavy duty machine.
We owned a mincer exactly like yours and after mincing 10 kg, it stripped a gear, luckily I got a refund.
Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 18:08

Hello
Dutch wrote:it looks to me that you have the Harbor Freight Electric Meat grinder
The grinder that I have is actually from Gander Mountain but The manual link shows an Identical manual to the one that I was able to receive (Hard Copy) from Gander Mountain. The only difference that I observed was the part number and model number difference - other than lake its an identical manual! So I guess whoever actually made the grinder is making it for multiple retailers and they change the manual accordingly.
crustyo44 wrote:Do realise that this mincer is only suitable for very light home use. If you are serious about sausagemaking you will have to keep saving for a more heavy duty machine.
We owned a mincer exactly like yours and after mincing 10 kg, it stripped a gear, luckily I got a refund.
:lol: Yup this is my entry grinder and has worked very well for the sausage hobbyist that I am :!: I have ground well over 50 lbs. of various semi to frozen meat through it so far without any problems :mrgreen: It was a scratch and dent model that I got for less that $50.00 (US) (Actually I got my Smoker the Grinder and my Slicer for under $150.00 (US) from a gentleman who re-sells Scratch and Dent and Return Items at his Flea Market store here in Indiana and on the Internet) If anyone is interested I would be happy to pass on his e-mail address.

As a Beginner and Home Hobbyist into the Sausage Making Field I did not want to invest allot of cash but as I grow I intend to upgrade to bigger and better equipment :smile: I try to also be very frugal so I am always looking for deals on Auction sites, Yard Sales, and Flea Markets :grin: So I would have to say that so far the initial investment has well paid for it self with only minor glitches that I have been able to overcome :grin:

John