Vienna Sausage recipe question

YooperDog
Beginner
Beginner

Vienna Sausage recipe question

Post by YooperDog » Sun Jul 22, 2012 22:30

I have an old recipe that I am trying to update before I make it and and would like some input to make sure I am on the correct path and don't cause any issues. This is a compilation of me trying to interpret a family recipe from those who made it when I was growing up and asking questions of those who are still alive now. Since I never made this sausage I don't want to waste money, time and effort on something that will not be a good product. I have looked at two of Chuck Wagons recipes and it looks like on the surface it should work out, but the chemistry process of producing a safe and tasty sausage is what counts in the end. To reduce the cost I would run a 5 lb batch first. Looking at any assistance as I am a newbie at this recipe interpreting thing instead of running with a tried and true recipe. I am doing one of CW Vienna recipes now to compare.

6.5 lbs pork
3.5 lbs veal
1.0 lbs salt pork/trimmings
5 Tbs salt
2 tsp Cure #1 (Original recipe called for Salt Peter)
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp nutmeg
2 Cups cold water

Cube meat and sprinkle with salt and Cure, let stand 24 hrs in refrigerator. Grind meat twice to emulsify and season with pepper, sugar and nutmeg, (I plan on using a food processor to emulsify). Add water until mixture is sticky and unable to absorb no more, may not use all of water.

Fill 22-24mm sheep casings, twisting every 2 feet. Air dry for about an hour then smoke at 170 F with light smoke until IMT reaches 150, about 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 hours. Plunge sausages in iced bath to cool, then hang up to dry. Refrigerate and use within several days or freeze.

To serve, cook in boiling water for 15-20 minutes and serve with mustard or prepared horseradish.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Jul 22, 2012 22:44

Be very sure to place all of the meats into the freezer for a while before grinding. The last time I ground any meat it was frozen to the stage of barely allowing a knife to slice slabs off the large piece and in cutting the slabs I could have stacked the chunks like toy building blocks. The grind was crisp and the fat was in nice firm particles.
You will
have to determine the total salt derived from the salt pork plus the added salt.
Ross- tightwad home cook