Online Workshop: Project B (August 2012)

Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Sun Sep 30, 2012 02:26

Hi grasshopper.

In csabai sausage, the hot/sharp paprika is 1/5th, or 20 %. Use the sweet hungarian, plus add whatever hot one you have, it'll be fine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
******Note
I checked the recipe we are using here, it's a little different, about 1/3rd. hot paprika.

"16g Sweet Hungarian Paprika"
"5 g Hot Hungarian Paprika "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When we don't have what we need, we need to do with what we have. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Sep 30, 2012 02:37

Grasshopper wrote:
I live in a rural area, but we have a health food store in the next town. They said the Hungarian paprika is sweet. They did not know anything about the hot. This is what I bought. All ground items, ancho peppers. red jalapeno peppers and red chipotle peppers.
Question what can I use in place of hot hungarian paprika?
Mike ol` pard, I really don`t believe there is a substitute for real Hungarian paprika. I learned long ago to order spices through a mail order catalog. By doing so, you get fresh spices that have a high turnover rate and reputable companies will have them sterilized so you won`t be growing any unwelcome bugs in your sausage. If you use supermarket spices, you have no way of knowing how long the stuff has been on the shelf in a can. And the ONLY way to use black pepper is to grind your own fresh peppercorns in an inexpensive coffee grinder used only for black peppercorns. You won`t believe your tastebuds and you`ll never, ever go back to that "pre-ground" crap in a can.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Sep 30, 2012 02:55

Dudley,
Give your kabanosy a couple of days to lost some water weight. It will bloom during that time and the flavors will concentrate. Have patience and don't eat it quite yet. :wink:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
NorthFork
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by NorthFork » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:55

Chuckwagon,

One more question regarding the Csabai (or any semi dry cured product), I understand the action of the salt and nitrite and how it allows us to process the various meats and products without bacterial contamination. In the uncooked version of this recipe we are curing for up to 3 or 4 weeks total and also drying to a safe level but are we in any way dealing with the possibility of "Trichinella spiralis"-other than trusting modern procedures? If not, I would presume that this type of sausage would not be advisable using wild game.

Thanks
Pat
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:12

Northfork, that is a great question. Thanks for bringing it up. You asked:
...but are we in any way dealing with the possibility of "Trichinella spiralis"-other than trusting modern procedures? If not, I would presume that this type of sausage would not be advisable using wild game.
You are absolutely correct! This is the reason a sausage like this is made from "certified pork" to begin with.
In using any wild game, the sausage MUST be cooked during preparation beyond 138°F (59°C.). Historically, a very high salt content was used for wild game meat. Often it contained upwards of 8% salt and without soaking, it was not even palatable.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
NorthFork
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by NorthFork » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:18

Thanks Chuckwagon-that is what I thought.

8% Salt, that would require a lot of Coors to wash it down!!
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:27

Hello all,
Been gone and out of the loop awhile so its catch up time again. My Daughter made my wife and I proud Grandparents :mrgreen: (our first grandchild) Emma Marie was born on 9/25/2012. She was 8 lbs. 5 oz. and 21 inches long. Mom, Dad, and Grandparents are all doing fine :grin: She came a week earlier then planned but my daughter gave my wife the best Birthday present ever possible (Emma Marie was Born on my Wife's Birthday)

Lots of catch reading to do! but I did want to post some pics of my Project B - Polish Sausage We had for dinner one day last week! So here they are!

Image Image

Image Image

Report the sausage flavor was good (I probably will and some more Garlic next Batch)
But overall really like this recipe and definitely will be making it again soon! :smile:

John
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 00:46

Chuckwagon wrote:How do you eat this sausage
CW, it is great as a beer skate, and I use it as an ingredient is dishes. If there is any interest in this, I'll post recipes, and I'm sure Gulyás will do the same.
Buon Appetit !
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Mon Oct 01, 2012 02:30

Hope I got the casabsi recipe right. Stuff and put in the fridge for 3 days.Then cold smoke for 3 hrs and back in the fridge for one day. Then cold smoke for 8 hr and back in the fridge.???????
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 03:30

Grasshopper,
Mostly right, stuff and hang in fridge for the skins to dry, usually three days. Then smoke for 8 hours, back in fridge overnight, do this three times.
Regards, Gus
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 03:39

Gulyás wrote:These peppers are from my garden.
Fantastic Gulyás ! Clearly there are no possums in your backyard.......
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Oct 01, 2012 06:31

Congratulation Big John!
Hey, the sausage photos look great... but they've been upstaged by that beautiful little Emma Marie! Now, that is some kind of sweet kielbasa eh? She's lovely! How come little babies always smell so darn good? Shucks, we'd never know that you're a proud new grandpappy! We're excited for you pal. I'll bet you never forget your wife's birthday eh? Please give everyone our very best wishes pal.
By the way, the sausages look terrific. Nice and moist. And is that JBK's sauerkraut? Any news about work yet? Nice goin' grand pappy!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Mon Oct 01, 2012 20:29

Casabai Overnight in the fridge then stuffed. Had some air pockets to prick. Can't hang in the fridge, so I put them in a brown paper bag. Now wait 3 days and then smoke. Had a small portion left, I will fry it up tonight. Had to get back to work.Image
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Oct 01, 2012 20:39

Now that's beautiful sausage! And it's a cinch you can't buy that quality in some supermarket! Nice going Grasshopper. About suppertime, you'll be "a grinnin' like a burro eatin' cactus"!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Oct 01, 2012 20:50

No apology necessary. I've relaxed the moderation rules in Project B just a little because many folks are just learning to make sausage and need some "casual" conversation. You have posted photos and dialogue pertaining to csabai and it is appreciated.

In another day or so, we'll advance to the next sausage. Let's invite El Quacko.... I mean... uhhh... El Duckster to introduce us to his infamous CHORIZO! Take it away Russ! :mrgreen: