Online Workshop: Project B (August 2012)

Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Fri Oct 05, 2012 18:32

Looking good.
So far so good, but not so far yet.

(That was a joke) :mrgreen:
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Oct 05, 2012 19:24

Gulyás wrote:Looking good.
So far so good, but not so far yet.
(That was a joke) :mrgreen:
:?: How far should it go? (What percentage weight loss?) :?:
:!: Thanks :!:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Fri Oct 05, 2012 19:40

I think about 35 % weight loss is fine. More is better.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Oct 05, 2012 20:02

Great! ...getting close(r).

I'm looking for ways to use the csabaii, once it finally gets there. Here's a recipe for lecso [corrected]. What do you think? http://bakeitoff.blogspot.com/2009/02/h ... lesco.html What's YOUR favorite way to eat csabaii? :mrgreen:
Last edited by el Ducko on Fri Oct 05, 2012 20:24, edited 1 time in total.
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Fri Oct 05, 2012 20:13

I had lecso yesterday, my wife made it, and it was very good. Millions of ways to make it.
The name in that recipe is misspelled. It's LECSO.

It is similar to my fried peppers, but tomatoes added too. Good stuff. Most people leave the bacon out, and no eggs.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... g&dur=1878

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another recipe.
http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/hu ... /lecso.htm
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Fri Oct 05, 2012 20:24

Instruction for Mr. el Ducko's sausage. Follow closely !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rap in butcher's paper, put in cardboard box.

Mail it to Gulyás.

Thank you Mr. :mrgreen: Dont worry about dryness.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Oct 05, 2012 20:26

Gulyás wrote:It is similar to my fried peppers, but tomatoes added too. Good stuff. Most people leave the bacon out, and no eggs.
I'll do it your way. (I'll even SPELL it your way!) Thanks! :mrgreen:
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Oct 05, 2012 20:29

Gulyás wrote:Instruction for Mr. el Ducko's sausage. Follow closely !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rap in butcher's paper, put in cardboard box.
Mail it to Gulyás.
Thank you Mr. :mrgreen: Don't worry about dryness.
Oops! I left out the "mail" part. ...hope you don't mind. :???: Bwahahaha! :???:
It's down to 826 gm, or 70%. ...almost there. One more night in the refrigerator, one more day in the smoker. (This is really gonna be good!)
Duck
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Fri Oct 05, 2012 20:35

30 % weight loss is fine, specially if you cook it like in lecso.
But if you plan to eat it raw, let it dry a little more for safety.
I would eat it the way it is, but than again I can eat rusted nails without side affects. :mrgreen:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Oct 06, 2012 03:27

Wow, that is a great recipe. Especially if you like garlic. Make some fresh and freeze just a little for some comparison tests later. While you're munchin' on fresh chorizo, test yourself with a little basic sausage makin' knowledge. If you miss any, be sure to ask questions about them. Nobody is going to chuckle and there is no reason to feel embarrassed if you miss a few. Ask questions - that's how we learn.

SELF CHECKUP :mrgreen:

1. T F If a sausage is "fresh", it means that the meat was processed just twenty minutes before the sausage was made - thus the word "fresh".
2. T F In "cured-smoked-cooked" sausage, the target for residual nitrite is 198 parts per million.
3. T F Ham is made from the "rear leg only" of a hog.
4. T F One of the reasons "prep-cooking" sausage make good sense is because it destroys penicillum nalgiovense.
5. T F Prep-cooking sausage beyond 138°F eliminates the possibility of trichinae spiralis.
6. T F Trichinae spiralis is a bacteria.
7. T F The "tangy flavor" of fermented sausage comes from a lactobacillus consuming carbohydrate to produce lactic acid.
8. T F Semi-dry cured sausage is usually prepared using only sodium nitrite.
9. T F A "prep-cooked, cured and smoked sausage" that has a lactobacilli introduced for fermentation, is also called a "semi-dry-cured sausage. It may be safely stored outside the refrigerator.
10. T F Because "prep-cooked, cured and smoked sausage" has been protected against clostridium botulinum by adding sodium nitrite, and against trichinella spiralis by cooking, it may be considered safe against infection from all other types of bacteria.
11. T F Fresh sausage must be used within three days or frozen for future consumption. If you don`t care to freeze it, you can just smoke it and store it in your refrigerator.
12. T F Fresh sausage is never smoked.
13. T F Fresh sausage is always smoked.
14. T F If you smoke fresh sausage without curing it first, you will most likely die.
15. T F Botulism is extremely rare but almost always fatal.
16. T F Botulism is caused from clostridium botulinum spores.
17. T F Clostridium botulinum is a round, nematode, microscopic worm.
18. T F All bacteria are harmful.
19. T F The three types of bacteria are: pathogenic, beneficial, and spoilage.
20. T F Pregnant women should never consume "cured-smoked-cooked" (Type 2) sausage without cooking it to a temperature of 160°F.
21. T F The threat of Listeriosis (from Listeria myocytogenes) may be eliminated by using Bactoferm™ F-LC - a short fermentation culture containing Pediococcus acidilactici, Lactobacillus curvatus and Staphylococcus xylosus in a convenient freeze-dried form.
22. T F To make a "cured-smoked-cooked" sausage from "fresh sausage", all we have to do is add the appropriate amount of Cure #1 (nitrite) and prep-cook the meat beyond 138°F.
23. T F To make a "semi-dry-cured" sausage from a "cured-smoked-cooked" sausage recipe, all we need to do is allow lactobacilli to produce lactic acid. This is effectively done by adding a modern culture whereby the process is "controlled" by sheer numbers of bacteria. When the sausage has bound water to a point below Aw 0.85 it is safe to eat. Sausage may also be rendered safe as lactic acid produces enough acidity to effectively "starve out" pathogenic bacteria. This occurs when the pH drops, INCREASING the acid level to a point below 5.0 on the pH scale.
24. T F One kilogram equals 2.2 pounds.
25. T F A pH drop is accomplished by lactic acid bacteria, which consume sugar to produce lactic acid.
26. T F Finely ground (comminuted) meat is at higher risk of bacterial contamination because it has more surface area. This is why ground meat at your grocery store has the shortest life.
27. T F The "danger zone" temperatures range between 32 and 98 degrees Fahrenheit.
28. T F Hogs fed with corn produce softer meat. English pork raisers introduced "hard bacon" by feeding barley to their hogs instead of corn.
29. F F When you thaw meat to make sausage, an exudate of blood, juices, and other substances, is expelled. You should always discard this liquid as it is carcinogenic when heated.
30. T T It is common knowledge that whenever smoking meat, the temperature of the smoke house should never exceed 170°F for any reason.

1.F 2.F 3.R 4.F 5.T 6.F 7.T 8.T 9.F 10.F 11.F 12.T 13.F 14.F 15.T 16.T 17.F 18.F 19.T 20.T 21.T 22.T 23.T 24.T 25.T 26.T 27.F 28.T 29.F 30.T
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Chorizo

Post by snagman » Sat Oct 06, 2012 05:01

ElDucko,
Those chillies, what is it about them, flavour, heat ? Asking because we have in OZ mild and hot chillies, not identified by what I assume is common knowledge names - ancho and pasillo in your neck of the woods. What could I substitute without compromising the (drum roll) Tex Mex Blend ? Also assuming that it is the chillies which are the characteristic flavour for Chorizo and so are important.
Is the low salt % in the recipe for your particular taste or for health reasons ?
Gus
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 07:00

Hi Gus,
If you need a variety of dried Mexican chillies, just ring Monterey Mexican Foods. 02-9826-9378
or check their website.
I have bought ingredients from them before, mainly dried chillies for sausages of course, they are good people.
Regards,
Jan.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Sat Oct 06, 2012 21:09

Ohhhh Mr. Ducko.
I see I gave you the wrong instruction. Instead of Rap it, wrap it.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Oct 06, 2012 22:27

It's down to 66%, now, and still has a few hours to go in the smoker. I'll try a bit raw, wrap some for my Hungarian lady-friend neighbor (still "hot" at 84 years old), and save the rest for lecso (and when you stop by). :mrgreen:
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Chorizo

Post by el Ducko » Sat Oct 06, 2012 22:39

snagman wrote:ElDucko,
Those chillies, what is it about them, flavour, heat ? Asking because we have in OZ mild and hot chillies, not identified by what I assume is common knowledge names - ancho and pasillo in your neck of the woods. What could I substitute without compromising the (drum roll) Tex Mex Blend ? Also assuming that it is the chillies which are the characteristic flavour for Chorizo and so are important.
Is the low salt % in the recipe for your particular taste or for health reasons ?
Gus
Mainly, it's the flavor, but color is important too. Ancho chiles are fairly mild, smoked (sometimes) and dried passilla chiles. Anything in the 1,000 to 1500 Scoville range would be fine. :mrgreen: (I've got socks that register about 1500, so...)

Salt level is a matter of taste in this case, so up it if you want. 1.5% (about 15 grams for the 1 kilo batch) isn't a bad level.