[USA] Hip Shot" Hamburgers

Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Mon Jul 28, 2014 14:28

CW reading this thread I'm wondering if you use the dextrose, soy protein and milk in any fresh sausage that will be in patties :?:
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Mon Jul 28, 2014 16:17

A half pound hipshot cheeseburger with CW's Son's of Bees bacon and Rocky Mountain Red BBQ sauce on one of Ross' scalded flour buns. There's a lot more going on at his site than just sausage, that's for sure. Off to get the tomorrow, I hope!
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Jul 28, 2014 17:03

All that on one Burger......Your gonna need a bigger boat!

Where is the lettuce and Tomatoes from the garden?

:shock:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jul 29, 2014 02:32

Hey, hey, RayHorseSawHipShot,
You`ve simply outdone yourself. Wow! A Hip Shot Hamburger with cheese , onion, and Sons Of Bees Bacon on top, slathered with a little Rocky Mountain Red... all on a HillRoss roll! Wow. The breakfast of champions! If you finish that meal, you will be able to leap tall buildings at a single bound... outrun a moving locomotive! Why... you`ll be faster than a speeding bullet! Goodness, I`m taking down the picture of my girlfriend above my desk and replacing it with your amazing photo of the "Hip Shot" body-building burger! Way to go Ray! :mrgreen:

Shuswap wrote:
CW reading this thread I'm wondering if you use the dextrose, soy protein and milk in any fresh sausage that will be in patties
Yep, I use it in all my "cured-smoked-cooked sausage" as long as it doesn`t interfere with other ingredients. (for example... wine with milk). The dextrose is only 70% as sweet as sugar and browns the product as nitrate/nitrite hinders the searing color. The soy protein is a terrific binder and preferred by the medical community. Milk adds flavor and improves the texture IF... you don't use too much. If you are sure to develop the proteins into a sticky mass, stuff a larger casing, prep-cook the thing to 148°, then you`ll have a great sausage to cut "disks" from that are perfect for a frying pan or griddle. I like sausage with rubbed sage and thyme prepared this way. It makes a perfect breakfast sausage when topped with a poached egg, on a croissant or breakfast bun .

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:07, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Aug 16, 2014 23:14

Wow, this is a heck of a good burger! Here are some more photos from Grasshopper in Minnesota. He's definitely got the knack! The burger is moist and doesn't shrink in the pan. How about that! :wink:

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Sat Aug 16, 2014 23:48

I'm looking at Grasshopper's second photo with the vac packed patties. Looks like one bag with 4 paddies - learn something every day on this site :grin:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Aug 17, 2014 17:19

A thought came to mind that a label inside the package would be completely durable.
Ross- tightwad home cook
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Sun Aug 17, 2014 18:00

All I have is a burger press. So they are 1/2 lb and not in a vac bag. That is the freezer paper. will vacuum pack later.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Aug 17, 2014 19:51

I like to place my burgers in the freezer for a hour or so before shrink-wrapping to maintain their form, do the same with sausage so the ends don't squish. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Mon Aug 18, 2014 00:04

grasshopper wrote:All I have is a burger press. So they are 1/2 lb and not in a vac bag. That is the freezer paper. will vacuum pack later.
I'm still going to try vac packing the way it looks in the photo - each patty would be sealed :grin:
graybeard
Beginner
Beginner

Post by graybeard » Mon Aug 18, 2014 13:09

A thought came to mind that a label inside the package would be completely durable.
That is what I do. I just use excel and print out as many as I need. They work out very good, it beats writing on the bag.