Small Business Clean-Up

huckelberry
User
User

Small Business Clean-Up

Post by huckelberry » Thu Oct 11, 2012 06:28

This topic was split from, "The Small Shop In Today's Economy" in the "Beginners" Forum. 10.14.12@20:55 ~CW~

They all have some really good looking stuff and please don't misunderstand but none of those places would make it where I live. When I say small I mean micro... I don't have the population in my area to support anything even that large. That is why it is so very much harder to accomplish what I would like to do. My margins of profit would be much narrower so the extra expenses put on the small business by the laws governing them woud cut my margins to nothing or even in to the negative .
Also I am not saying that we shouldn't have a governing body to insure the public health but between the regulations that are over the top and our governments inflating tax burdens it makes small town small business difficult at best.
I believe in safety by education not regulation.
Unscrupulous people will just ignore regulation as well as education. I apologize in advance to anyone who's beliefs I may have trampled on.
Uderstand this is an over simplified version of what I believe.
Last edited by huckelberry on Mon Oct 15, 2012 03:58, edited 1 time in total.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:49

HB, I have been in business for 33 years and I can tell you that the cost of health insurance is far greater than my income tax burdens. Just consider that all of your income tax would not pay the salary for just one inspector. :shock:
Ross- tightwad home cook
huckelberry
User
User

tax

Post by huckelberry » Thu Oct 11, 2012 13:53

You are the best player on my team... That is just one of the many things that I am referring to that make it that much harder for those of us in small communities and more rural areas.
Anyway I don't really want to dwell on the negitives. I now have just resigned myself to enjoying what I do as a hobby and nothing more, which is probably better for me financialy in the long run.

Hey ssorllih, just thought I would mention I really have enjoyed reading many of your posts and photos.
I am really glad to have found this sight where people like yourself and chuckwagon with so much experience are willing to take the time to answer the questions of people like myself with much less experience.
THANKS! To you and all of those like yourselves.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Oct 11, 2012 16:10

Huck your last name wouldn't be Finn perhaps? You can have profitable hobbies that provide extra income streams. Like planting a too large garden and selling some of the produce. Or planting many varieties of chilis and drying them and then milling the pods for special paprika.
I am able to buy dried chilis in a local Food Lion for about 50 cents per ounce. Milling them allows me variety paprika that I can't purchase anywhere.
Ross- tightwad home cook
huckelberry
User
User

hobbies

Post by huckelberry » Thu Oct 11, 2012 22:50

Yes sir. My wife gives me greef about my hobbies quite often. They make a little extra on the side, like my garden and I also sell free range eggs. Only problem is with my job I have to leave home for extended periods of time and then my hobbies fall on my wife's head. But I truly understand what you are saying. In fact i've been trying to come up with a garden plan that takes less and less work all the time because it does fall to my wife when I leave.
And no it's not Finn or I would have already convinced you guys how fun mending fence is and had you all down to experience it yourselves.
huckelberry
User
User

mending fence

Post by huckelberry » Sat Oct 13, 2012 23:07

By the way... Mending fence is a blast ssorllih... yoy should come give it a try. Or preping the garden for next spring, or cleaning the chicken houses. Any one of those things are a great time and I would love to share the experience with ya. Cuze you ain't lived till you scooped chicken poop. LOL.
I hope everyone understood I wasn't saying that starting a small business isn't possible. I just believe that our system makes things too difficult and costly for many of the small businesses that would like to start up, especially in less densely populated and rural areas.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Oct 13, 2012 23:34

Huck , I grew up on a subsistance farm in Connecticut. There is no agricultural job that you can define that I haven't experienced.
Try this web site for very well written details for a small meat processing business. http://www.fao.org/docrep/010/ai407e/ai407e00.htm
Ross- tightwad home cook
huckelberry
User
User

Post by huckelberry » Sat Oct 13, 2012 23:42

I actually have a pdf. of that and your right it is a good informative read.
So I guess I couldn't interest you in stall mucking? :shock:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Oct 13, 2012 23:51

Not for room and board but for my standard rate as a contractor sure. I used to muck out the hen house and the gutter behind six Jersey cows. Milked by hand morning and night. Morning milking was separated for the cream and the skim milk was mixed with hog feed and fed before school everyday no exceptions for rain or snow.
Ross- tightwad home cook
huckelberry
User
User

Post by huckelberry » Sun Oct 14, 2012 00:13

And just think how many will never know the joys of it. :mrgreen:
Don't take life to seriously.
You're not getting out of it alive!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sun Oct 14, 2012 00:50

There are many that won't even clean up behind their dog.
Ross- tightwad home cook
huckelberry
User
User

Post by huckelberry » Sun Oct 14, 2012 01:18

You are right there. My grand mother used to call the other Germans in her area that weren't spotless in their upkeep of livestock drecky. Never knew what that meant but didn't figure it was good.
She probably would call me that too but she would sweep the dirt in front of her house. She and my grandfather were immaculately clean in everything.
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Mon Oct 15, 2012 00:52

Huckleberry,That probably comes from the German dreckig, which means dirty.
Ursula
huckelberry
User
User

Post by huckelberry » Mon Oct 15, 2012 01:13

Well that would definitely make sense :shock: Thanks Ursula. She and my grandfather were very serious about the cleanliness of their place. Almost to the point of O.C.D. :mrgreen: