Need help with first recipe

Mark
Beginner
Beginner

Need help with first recipe

Post by Mark » Tue Jan 29, 2013 17:32

Hi Guys...

I have finally received my cold smoker maze in, as well as a 5/lb bag of Alder dust. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have a barbeque smoker called a Stumps Stretch that I planned on using as my box for all of this.

I could use some help on what to try first. I was thinking that salmon would be easiest, yes??
If I were to try this recipe HERE would this be a good place to start? I'm gathering I just follow the recipe to end up with a lox and then place it in the cold smoker for a few hours? right/wrong??

If I'm totally off, could someone please share an exact recipe. Kinda lost on all of this and not sure where to start. Thank! Mark
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jan 29, 2013 17:59

Mark I have had success on salmon with a simple 80° brine for a 10 hour soak and a cold water 1 hour rinse. 24 hours drying in the fridge and six to twelve hours of smoke. Longer is better.
Brine is about one cup of kosher salt to a quart of water. Keep everything very cold.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 01:37

Hi Mark! You'll never go wrong following the advice from ssorllih (Ross). He's an ol' timer around here and as a matter of fact, he and I fought side by side during the Civil War. He was dressed in gray and I was in blue. Neither one of us could hit the broad side of a barn, so we just gave up shootin' at each other and became best of friends (although my mustache is sooooo verrry much better lookin' than his). :roll:

Mark, also try this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5146. This is our "Member Recipe Index" and there are several great smoked salmon recipes there. Look down the column for "fish".

Next, try Stan Marianski's instructions here: http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/meat-smoking
He's got all sorts of advice and recipes in the index page resources. Just click the topics at the top of the page.

Please let us know if we can help with anything at all.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Wed Jan 30, 2013 01:56

Mark,

It's wise to include cure #1 in the brine when cold smoking salmon.
Smoking temperature should not exceed about 80 degrees F or the texture will be adversely affected.
Godspeed!

Bob