Tough collagen casings?

tobertuzzi
User
User

Tough collagen casings?

Post by tobertuzzi » Mon Mar 04, 2013 17:01

Hi
I made some bear pepperoni sticks with 20mm collagen casings. I smoked them till 150 f internal temp, took about 6 hrs. They tasted great but the casings were a bit on the chewy side. Is that normal for these casings? It was the first time I used them.

Thanks
Toby
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Mon Mar 04, 2013 17:08

Toby,
What type collagen casings did you use, fresh or for smoked products? I find the ones used for fresh sausage (i.e., breakfast sausage) to be acceptable but the ones that are designed for smoked sausage are thicker and tougher. I really don't care for collagen casings at all. Sheep casings are the way to go, but they are quite expensive in the US. What I've been using for snack sticks lately are the cellulose casings which are cheap, take smoke well, and are then easily peeled off after smoking leaving a skinless product. They can be found for reasonable cost on eBay.
Rudy
tobertuzzi
User
User

Post by tobertuzzi » Mon Mar 04, 2013 17:16

Hi Ida

They were the ones for fresh sausage, from cabelas. Yeah the sheep casings here are pricy too, but I think worth it if they make a better product. Do you find the snack stick holds together fine after you peel the cellulose casing off?

Thanks
Toby
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Mon Mar 04, 2013 17:29

tobertuzzi wrote:Hi Ida

They were the ones for fresh sausage, from cabelas. Yeah the sheep casings here are pricey too, but I think worth it if they make a better product. Do you find the snack stick holds together fine after you peel the cellulose casing off?

Thanks
Toby
Toby,
Not knocking Cabelas, but they don't have very good casings, not to mention they are way overpriced. As far as cellulose casings holding together, yes, they hold together great. Plus everyone that eats my snack sticks prefer the skinless ones I make using the cellulose ones vs. ones stuffed in collagen. Most store bought hot dogs are stuffed in the peel-able cellulose casings, just to give you an idea of what to expect.
Rudy
tobertuzzi
User
User

Post by tobertuzzi » Mon Mar 04, 2013 21:02

No I was kinda thinking their casings may be sub par, you know buy casings from a casing supplier...lol. I only got them cause I brought a grinder and stuffer so I figured Id throw some casings in the basket. My bad.

Ill give the peel-able casings a try for sure, thanks for your help Rudy

Toby
tobertuzzi
User
User

Post by tobertuzzi » Tue Mar 05, 2013 05:32

IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Tue Mar 05, 2013 16:55

tobertuzzi wrote:like these Rudy

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/225-ft-Sausage-C ... 942wt_1111

Thanks
Toby
Yes, those are exactly the ones I got and from the same seller. They work great for snack sticks or hot dogs. Give 'em a try.
Rudy
tobertuzzi
User
User

Post by tobertuzzi » Tue Mar 05, 2013 17:09

Awesome Rudy, Ill order some

Thanks
Toby