Stuffer?

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Apr 07, 2013 01:32

Quack-O
Oh the pain and mental anguish you must be in! :roll:

Yes, yes, yes! It`s springtime! Oh joy. Time for spring showers, flowers, and the sweet hint of romance in the air! Yes, yes indeed, this is the time a young man`s fancy turns to.... .... ... uhh... baseball and 5-lb. stuffers! What! What?
Lyrics to "Ol Man Stuffer":
Grind that loin,
Press that chuck;
Stuff a little lamb,
Or, better yet DUCK!

Hey Bent-beak, have you considered a frontal lobotomy or prefrontal leucotomy? :shock:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Apr 07, 2013 04:33

Chuckwagon wrote:Hey Bent-beak, have you considered a frontal lobotomy or prefrontal leucotomy? :shock:
Yeah, but your lectures on bacterial contamination scared me away. Tell ya what- - take two of these merguez lamb sausages I just made and call me in the morning. You'll feel much better.

...or not. (Maybe your hat is on too tight???) ...your choice. You'll like the sausage, though. ...and to prove it, I'll post the recipe tomorrow. It's a bit different from the one in Marianskis' "bible," but as we all remember, "inquiring minds want to know." (... a bit hotter, due to the quantity of harissa.)

That, plus it seems that every Moroccan cook has his or her own variation(s) on the spice mix. ...love that Moroccan food! Yum!
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
SASteak

Post by SASteak » Wed Apr 10, 2013 00:16

Just wondering..

Has anyone here tried the water stuffers I have seen on some sausage supply sites? "The Dakotah" comes to mind. Love any input ;D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Apr 10, 2013 00:30

I think that the one known best here is by Kirby. It seems to work well for those that have and use it.
Ross- tightwad home cook
unclebuck
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by unclebuck » Wed Apr 10, 2013 02:37

SASteak wrote:Just wondering..

Has anyone here tried the water stuffers I have seen on some sausage supply sites? "The Dakotah" comes to mind. Love any input ;D
I have a 15 lb. water powered stuffer made by the Hutterites. Check out a colony in your area for availability. They will probably make to your specs for a good price. Usually some cash, a few shots, and/or a lot of beer for the poobah!!!!
"What can't be smoked can't be eaten."
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Wed Apr 10, 2013 04:42

ssorllih wrote:I think that the one known best here is by Kirby. It seems to work well for those that have and use it.
I use my little 5-pound grizzly for the small batches, and for larger batches, I use a Kirby water stuffer that'll do about 3x the amount of the Grizzly. Kirby Campbell builds these to order & will do 100% of the build, or just supply the parts.
With Springtime arriving & the weather is great, time for some outdoor water-stuffing! :grin:

Kevin

It made quick work of these large chubs in about 8 minutes....

The 'smaller' version of the water cannon (before I upsized to the howitzer shown above) did about 9-10 pound loads.
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:55

Hi Guys,
Kirby Campbell is a fellow member of this site and one of the nicest folks I've ever had the pleasure of chattin' with. His products are amazing. Kirby has a brilliant mind, a tempered tongue (never brags), and a top quality product!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
SASteak

Post by SASteak » Wed Apr 10, 2013 18:29

WOW. I suppose I should start with the local Hutterites :) and Mr Kirby. Thanks a ton
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Thu Apr 11, 2013 01:41

Owning a Kirby would be awesome but I never make large enough batches to warrant buying one.

I bought my 5 lb Stuffer from Northern Tool about 3 years ago and have never had a problem. It comes with a set of 1/2in., 7/8 in. & 1in plastic stuffing tubes, since then I have replaced the 1/2" with a S/Steel one.

For $ 100.00 not a bad deal.
Ron
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Apr 27, 2013 23:19

Sooner or later it would happen- - I need a 3/8" stuffer tube for my new 5 lb. Grizzly stuffer. So, what to do? All attempts to find a 3/8" stuffer tube for my new stuffer failed. So I did what any other ambitious but cheap forum member would do.

"AHA!" sez I, with a swish of my superhero cape that I learned by watching the paso doble on "Dancing With The Stars." Bounding down the stairs (tripping once or twice on the cape before discarding it), I announced to all within earshot, "To the Duck-Cave! To the hardware store, forthwith! Awaaaaay!"

"Better make it fifth-with, Mister Super Hero," replied Beloved Spouse. "Don`t forget the grocery list."

Fortunately, I have a favorite hardware store which adjoins a grocery store, kinda-sorta nearby. It`s one of those country hardware stores with an ancient owner whose great granddaddy always bought two items when ordering, so he`d have a spare. Such refuges form the backbone of America and make it great (with application of a little elbow grease). The last ploughshares hammered out of swords are stocked there, along with every fitting you could ever desire. ...plus pork at a dollar a pound if you hit `em at the right time of the week.

A dollar-nineteen later, I came home with a PVC coupling measuring 1" socket -x- 3/4" pipe thread, which would fit inside the 1-1/4" threaded opening and cap on my five-pound Grizzly stuffer after a little surgery.

Into it, I can screw the 1/2" brass coupling to 3/8" copper tubing compression fitting that I use on my "Russ-N-Ross Ramrod" stuffer (see elsewhere in the forum threads).
Back to the Duck Cave. Shedding groceries along the way. I clutched my prize in one hand and the Grizzly in the other.

You`ll note a couple of things from the picture. One, the coupling has a hexagonal edge which won`t quite fit down into the Grizzly coupling. Two, the new coupling is way too long. Thus the surgery.
I made two cuts with a hacksaw. By mounting the coupling in a vise, about two thirds of the way down, I used the steel jaws as a miter box, and cut off a fairly level section, removing the socket portion.

Next, I raised the PVC coupling in the vise, clamping it so the jaws acted like a miter box again, and cut flush to the molded hexagonal section. This removed a round, threaded-on-the-inside, section about 5/16ths long. This I sanded a bit to smooth out the cut marks.
The result is a threaded washer which will fit within the Grizzly`s coupling, which you can trap between the coupling and the nozzle, into which you can screw the brass/copper fitting and tubing. Depending upon your skill with a hack saw and sand paper, you can get a pretty good seal. If, like me, your cuts aren`t quite parallel, sand until you can make them more parallel. You could probably fit in a 1-1/4" diameter O-ring, but there isn`t quite enough thread left on the nozzle to accommodate it.

The second solution, and I think the better of the two, is to take the last piece with the molded-on hex shape, sand the points of the hex just enough to allow the piece to fit into the Grizzly `s coupling (clearing the threads), and sand the cut side to smooth out the cut marks. You had a much better chance of aligning the two faces on this particular piece, so it shouldn`t take too much sanding.

Slip your new adapter into the Grizzly`s coupling, screw the brass/copper piece in, then snug the Grizzly coupling onto the threaded nozzle. It should go on smoothly, yet take up enough thread that you won`t have a leak.

And there you have it- - brute force and ignorance triumph again! Now you can stuff those dinky little sheep casings and make snack stix and kabanosy to your heart`s content.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Apr 28, 2013 09:38

Nice goin' Duckster!