White spots on smoked sausage

kielbasanjo

White spots on smoked sausage

Post by kielbasanjo » Sun Apr 07, 2013 22:07

Hello

This questions has probably been asked before, but I would appreciate some help. Every time I smoke my sausage, I get white spots on the end products. I making sure the sausage is good and dry before I start applying smoke.

I usually keep the sausage in the smoker at 130F/damper wide open to dry out and then raise it up to 150-155F/damper 1/4 open for smoking.

I have been noticing that when I start smoking, a type of condensations is forming on the sausages and I think this is where the white spots are coming fro,/

Do I need to let the sausage dry longer? I have a 20lb electric smoker from Sausage Maker/Buffalo. I use damp saw dust chips, could my chips be too damp and creating the condensation?

Any advice is appreciated? Thank you in advance.

kielbasanjo
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 02:20

Hi,
I always smoke with dry chips/sawdust and never have experienced white spots on any sausages I smoked for many years.
It must be the humidity produced by damp sawdust, keep your damper fully opened on your next batch.
Another thing as well, condensation on your sausages also point to them being too cold for smoking yet.
Leave them longer to dry, if you have used cure #1 you will be safe anyhow.
Good Luck,
Jan
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Apr 08, 2013 02:49

Condensation is the visible proof that the humidity is high enough that the dew point temperature is higher than the surface temperature of you sausage. That is what Jan just said. I have never had a problem with it producing visible residue in a product but it often takes a few hours to get the moisture in the smoke down enough to have the product dry out,
Ross- tightwad home cook
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Apr 08, 2013 03:44

I agree with everything said. Don't know what type smoker you are using but on some the smoker itself needs to be run a while to get rid of moister that builds in the smoker itself. Typically, this will reveal itself as sooting on the meat but not always. Try running it at a high temp for an hour or so with dampers open before you back it down and add meat.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Apr 08, 2013 08:44

Hey, hey, kielbasanjo...
How about posting a photo (close up) for us to gander at. (no pun intended El Ducko).
Also, could you tell me exactly how much salt is in your recipe and what type you are using?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48

A picture would say a lot. Could it be that your sausages are touching each other, this causes a white spot as the smoke doesn't colour that area .
Col. Big Guy