Online Workshop: Project B2 (October 2013)

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Oct 15, 2013 21:28

My wife said there was a antique grinder in one of the lower cabinets, I found it without having to dial 911. I'll try making a little 1.1lb test patty out of half the recommended ingredients to see how it frys up, I have to see what the flavor is like before setting up my grinder and stuffer for a big batch. I like to do at least 15 pounds or it just isn't worth the time and trouble to me to get all set-up and then do all the clean-up. If all goes well I'll make a 22lb batch with 14 lbs of my beautiful wild sow meat and eight pounds of domestic porkbutt, just multiply the recipe times ten, already have it printed out. I'll use a bottle of some ice cold cabernet instead of water, toss in a little anise also. Off to Reno tomorrow for some fun and a magic show at the Nugget, next Monday off for some deer hunting in the high mountains. So much stress! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Oct 16, 2013 00:14

pignout wrote:When grinding your own pepper (ive been using a coffee grinder for most of my spices) how do you know when enough is enough?
Some might argue that there's never enough!

If you are following a recipe, weigh up a bit more than is called for. ...say, 20% for a small amount, less than that as the quantity called for is bigger. (...still working in volumes instead of weights? Shame on you!) With experience, you'll find out how much "overage" to grind up. There's always some loss- - it sticks to stuff, some becomes airborne (:sneezing-smiley:), et cetera. You can always save any overage if you want, but you'll have to admit- - fresh ground is best!
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Wed Oct 16, 2013 02:21

Ross I just got my spare side by side refrigerator/freezer, just for sausage. I have the refrigerator set at 35 deg and the freezer at 0 deg. Is that too cold.? Or what would you suggest.
Thewitt
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Thewitt » Wed Oct 16, 2013 03:49

I grind in a mortar and pestle when I'm making small batches. Makes me feel more connected to the results :)
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Oct 16, 2013 08:40

el Ducko wrote:
pignout wrote:When grinding your own pepper (ive been using a coffee grinder for most of my spices) how do you know when enough is enough?
Some might argue that there's never enough!

If you are following a recipe, weigh up a bit more than is called for. ...say, 20% for a small amount, less than that as the quantity called for is bigger. (...still working in volumes instead of weights? Shame on you!) With experience, you'll find out how much "overage" to grind up. There's always some loss- - it sticks to stuff, some becomes airborne (:sneezing-smiley:), et cetera. You can always save any overage if you want, but you'll have to admit- - fresh ground is best! :mrgreen:
I agree, grind into powder, all of it! Like Crusty Jan, throw some more fresh garlic in it too, won't hurt a thing. The scent of grinding anise in my coffee grinder seems to last for weeks, adds a different flavor to waking up. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Oct 17, 2013 02:53

How's this for a Project B-2 logo?
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Thu Oct 17, 2013 06:17

I say always fry (eham cough splutter) a small amount of the sausage meat before stuffing sausages. That way you can tell if the flavour is to your liking. Just remember a recipe is a starting point, a direction if you like. After a few goes you might realise that 5 g of chilli per 1 kg of meat is not right for you. That is why CW mentioned about keeping a journal. You can always add more spices salt etc, but you cannot take away what has been added. I suppose you could add more meat.

Last year I was making a batch of smoked cooked sausages. Half way through I got interrupted and invited out for a few hours. I was mid way through mixing up my spices. I got home late and realised that I would finish about 3 am and did not bother a fry-test. I then stuffed the sausages and fired up my smoker. When I tried the sausages I found that I not added any chilli and they were naff with a capital N.

I now have copies of my favourite recipes. I have sealed them in plastic. I then work out the amount of spices etc, write it on the plastic with a white board pen and cross it out when something is added. I can also scribble comments. In this example the garlic paste has yet to be added.

Ps CW the onion sausages are great.
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Thu Oct 17, 2013 06:56

My new mincer arrived a few days ago. It is a beauty and weighs about 20 kg. Heavy duty. It has four mincer plates, which is better than my old Kenwood. I'm looking forward to a more powerful beast which will probably result in less smearing of meat and fat.Unfortunately the inside has not been well machined and is full of bits of metal which will end up in the food. So I have to get it finished off before I can embark on Project B, so will have to do some catchup. Also my orders for ingredients have not yet arrived.
...And I have no sausages in the freezers!
Ursula
sambal badjak
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sambal badjak » Thu Oct 17, 2013 07:28

Like thewitt, I use a pestle and mortar to crush most of my spices. If I need a lot, I use a coffee grinder.
@ markjass: i like the idea of the laminated sheets!
Sofar I have just printed the recipes and write next to it by pen. Once I get some favourite recipes I will definitely go the laminating way!
life is too short to drink bad wine (anonymus)
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Oct 17, 2013 09:34

The Duck wrote:
How's this for a Project B-2 logo?
[photo]
I think it`s incredible! We should all have T-shirts made!

Markjass, that`s a great idea with the plastic. I`m glad to see you using a notebook. Your comments are right on the mark and I appreciate your remarks about the onion sausage too. Thanks pal.

Ursula, no sausages in the freezer? Yikes! You will have to start eating onion sandwiches! :shock: Hey, we`re glad you have a new grinder. Please let us know how it works out for you. Our buddy Blackriver also had a problem with metal shavings in his product. Why not send him a message and see what he has to say. (He`s one of the nicest people I`ve ever known).

Sambal, I`m too danged lazy to use a mortar n` pestle, though it is indisputably the right way to go. I`ve found that having an inexpensive, second "dedicated" grinder for pepper only, is the way to go. (I use black pepper in everything I eat.) So, you may wish to shop for a second grinder, used only for pepper. The only problem is, where in the heck do you go shopping for spice grinders on the Lower Zambezi in Zambia?
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:03

As an extension to this project why don`t people tell us about how they serve the sausages. Not being from the USA I have no idea what onion sausages, biscuits and gravy is. It can take a while and be complex to write a recipe down (I read something about writing recipes by CW somewhere on this forum). So to save time give a link to the recipe.

Mark
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Oct 17, 2013 14:43

Markjass, you wrote:
As an extension to this project why don`t people tell us about how they serve the sausages. Not being from the USA I have no idea what onion sausages, biscuits and gravy is. It can take a while and be complex to write a recipe down (I read something about writing recipes by CW somewhere on this forum). So to save time give a link to the recipe.
Okay pal, here they are. Thanks for asking. I hope everyone tries good ol` western "biscuits and gravy"! Hey!... it`s the breakfast of champions! :) Oh, and Mark, I really like your suggestion about folks lettin` us know how the serve the sausages. Members have always been welcome to share any recipe they have for any sausage, bacon, ham, whole muscle, or other meat product they make. Project B2 is a great place to share our recipes!

"Sixteen Tips For Writing A Recipe" - Here`s a link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5838

My Shuttle Bucket Biscuits n` Gravy recipe (at this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5830), gets pretty long-winded. It starts from scratch and has you make your own sourdough biscuits, bread, and even sourdough rye. Good sourdough is really hard to beat. But the best part of that post is the "Braggin` And Gaggin` Chokecherry Syrup"! Now, don`t miss that one. Here`s a link:
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5830

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by TSMODIE » Thu Oct 17, 2013 17:14

I will take a stab at this, but dont know if i wil be much help, as most of my sausages are eaten by themselves, like the snack sticks, summer sausage and the pepperonis', I am right now having one of my snalcks sticks that are just about proofed out, I made a 30 lb batch of Teriyaki sticks and Tequila Lime sticks yesterday, they are delicious

My summer sausage is the same, I like it dipped in sweet hot mustard, no crackers and cheese with it, just plain

the fermented dry cured sausages and salami, are alway eaten plain, they have such a subtle flavor, that cool=king them or eating them wiht anything else overpowers them

some of the cooked sausages, like the pepperoni and andoulle , and the Hawiiam sweet, are used in pizzas, gumbos and others, the Hawiian Sweet is fantastic by itself, but I also add a log to a pot of rice while boiling it, it adds a unique flavor to the rice, Tim

grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Thu Oct 17, 2013 22:15

EL Ducko I ordered all three books by Linda Baldholm. Hope she will teach me more about spices. Thank's
smik1

Nice logo idea but....

Post by smik1 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 06:48

el Ducko wrote:How's this for a Project B-2 logo?
[url=http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q56 ... a8c799.jpg]Image[/URL]
This would be terrific... but shouldn't there be some kabanosy on wing pylons and some sort of Thuringer slung below the fuselage? Just thinkin......

Stan