Online Workshop: Project B2 (October 2013)

redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Nov 06, 2013 04:58

Well, I'm really embarrassed :oops: but I messed up with the Kabanosy. :cry: The day before I seasoned my new Cabella's Pro 100 smoker and smoked a couple of yardbirds for a test. Seemed to work Ok, but looks like I have to learn to use it a bit better. Sparing all the details, I over smoked the sausage and over cooked it. They are barely edible, having a considerable amount of bitterness that overtakes the nutmeg and caraway flavours. Rather than improving, I'm sliding backwards. My first batch of Kabanosy were superb and did not last long. These will be shared with the neighbourhood canines.

ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Wed Nov 06, 2013 09:36

My apologies. I am way behind in the project. First I had the problem with the mincer, which I returned and had the worm thingy replaced. Then I had to demolish the old veg garden and do all the digging,tilling and planting. But now I'm all set and will play a big game of catchup on Friday.
Best regards Ursula
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:34

Woof, woof, I recon your neighbourhood dogs will be some of the luckiest dogs around. I have found that sometimes things just do not go according to plan. That is the joy!!! of making things yourself. Today I smoked 2 1/2 kg of bacon. I had bought a brand of manuka chips that I had not used before and I could not get them to stay alight. In desperation I baked the wood chips for an hour and a half in the oven at 50 degrees. That kinda did the trick. All I can report is that Big #$%^&* manuka chips aint what they claim and would have been better named small whimper.

Mark
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Wed Nov 06, 2013 17:33

I am no expert BUT the mahogany collagen casings are smoked. I have backed off on the amount of smoke I use. Also I am careful on how fast I bring up the temp as not to break the fat. It has been mention on this forum about putting the fat in frozen just before stuffing. I am going to try that next time.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Nov 06, 2013 19:08

redzed wrote:Well, I'm really embarrassed :oops: but I messed up with the Kabanosy. :cry: The day before I seasoned my new Cabella's Pro 100 smoker and smoked a couple of yardbirds for a test. Seemed to work Ok, but looks like I have to learn to use it a bit better. Sparing all the details, I over smoked the sausage and over cooked it. They are barely edible, having a considerable amount of bitterness that overtakes the nutmeg and caraway flavours. Rather than improving, I'm sliding backwards. My first batch of Kabanosy were superb and did not last long. These will be shared with the neighbourhood canines.

Maybe a case of raising the temp too fast, thereby separating the fat from the meat? Keep the switch turned to 625 watts for smoking sausage, raise to 1250 watts when a temp of 185° or higher is required. If you are starting the sausage out in the smoker at 130° raise the temp only 2-3° every 15-20 minutes. The Cabelas Pro 100 is made by PS Seasonings, check out this recipe page on their website, helps a lot. Also, if you e-mail their customer support guys with any questions, they actually get back to you in a timely fashion with a good answer. You raise the temp by hitting the set button twice until the digital readout appears, raise the temp, and hit the set button again, a few second later the digital temp readout will re-appear. I'm sure you are already using a quality internal meat thermometer. If there are any questions you think I might be able to provide a answer for please don't hesitate to ask Chris. RAY

http://www.psseasoning.com/index.cfm/act/recipes
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 20:07

Hi Mark,
Sometimes I have the same trouble with the chips I use. It all depends on the humidity here.
To solve all these problems, I now use a small 3 speed aquarium air compressor, plastic hose connected to 30 cm piece of 3/16 brake tubing.
It makes all the difference to keep the chips/sawdust mix smoking, if there is too much smoke
I just switch the little compressor to a lower setting.
In my smoking tray, I have chips on the bottom and sawdust on top of it.
To raise the temperature I just aim the air nozzle at the chips and watch the temp gauge closely.If you need some more info, just let me know.
Works every time for me!!
Good Luck Mate,
Jan.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Nov 07, 2013 01:37

Ray, the problem started with not being able to bring the temperature higher fast enough. I preheated the smoker to 130 then I put the sausage and the sawdust with pellets into the smoker. The temperature dropped to 112 and it took more than one hour to recover to 130. Kabanosy are thin sausages and they need to be smoked for only 60 - 90 minutes. So after one hour at 130 with smoke, I checked them and there was no colour on them. I bumped up the heat to 150, and it took another hour or so to reach that. By then they had some colour. I flipped the switch to 1250w and set the temp to 180 for what should have been the final 20 minutes, but instead it took another hour to bring the IT of the sausage to 150. So in the end the sausage had over 3 hrs of smoke and was overbaked. However, there was no fat out, and the texture is not that bad. (This kiełbasa should be crumbly when you snap one kabanos in half, so I was very careful in not over mixing it) I'm a bit disappointed with the length of time it took to bring up the temperatures, but maybe because it was a cool and windy day when I was smoking. The ambient temperature was only 6° or 7°C.

Next time, I will pre-heat the smoker for a longer period and place less smoking material into the pan. Because it was quite windy, I also might have kept the dampers closed a little too much, with the smoke building up and turning rancid. Now all I can think of is making another batch of sausage and smoking it. But that will have to wait as I am off to Kauai in three days for a couple of weeks sans saucisse. :lol:

Crusty, the problem here was the sawdust and pellets burned too quickly, even though I dampened the sawdust. So if anything, I need to slow that down a bit.

Grasshopper, hard to believe, but I used clear collagen casings. I used a mixture of cherry and hickory pellets, and that's where the colour comes from.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Nov 07, 2013 04:45

I don`t believe I`ve ever met a sausage maker who didn`t spoil one of his beginning batches by "breaking the fat" and turning the texture into sawdust. Anyone who tells you they haven`t done it at one time or another is either fibbing or they haven`t made much sausage at all. I surely had my moments. Most often, the "grainy" texture people refer to in sausage, is the result of only one thing - too much heat during the preparatory cooking. It is most important not to exceed the IMT (internal meat temperature) of 170°F., as the collagen will "break" at this temperature and the fat in the sausage will become liquid.

As the temperature reaches 138°F. (59° C.) the sausage is protected from trichinella spiralis. Then at about 145°F. (63°C.) the sausage becomes "par-cooked" or "prep-cooked" for use on the grill later on. (Be sure to refrigerate the sausages until you cook and eat them. This is the temperature reached for the commercial "Brown n' Serve" sausages to be fully "finish" cooked at home)

Most sausages are safely fully-cooked upon reaching 152°F. (67°C.). At this point, the sausage becomes protected against all sorts of other pathogenic bacteria and microorganisms.

The temperature of 170° is the extreme upper limit and beyond this point, nothing will save the sausage. Once the fat liquefies, the sausage cannot be salvaged and it will taste dreadful. Worse, the texture will resemble sawdust. Ol` Rytek used to say, "sawdust... just like sawdust", then shake his head.

Whether you use your smoker, your kitchen oven, or even a pot of water on the stove, to prep-cook sausages, if you take your time and GRADUALLY raise the temperature only a couple of degrees every fifteen or twenty minutes, the sausages will be just fine. Don't use a hot water bath with collagen casings however, or you will have a mess you won't believe. Collagen casings are to be "baked"... keep them dry.

The cooking procedure most often involves several hours. If you attempt to shorten the process by raising the heat too quickly, you`re only inviting problems. :mad: However, Red has a valid and important point. Sausage as thin as kabanosy doesn't take long at all to reach the internal temperature we're looking for. Cooking kabanosy to IMT 150 degrees inside an oven or a smoker requires but very little time.

Last of all, if the temperature exceeds 170°F., you`ll have to toss the batch. :cry: And don`t feed them to your dog! He didn`t do anything to you! :roll: At this point, the only thing sawdust sausages are good for is shotgun practice, and with a little drying, they`ll even disintegrate in the air in delightful little puffs of dust upon receiving a well placed blast of a 12 gauge.

Watch your thermometers folks... and don't walk away!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Nov 07, 2013 09:31

...at last a fast enough Internet connection . There have been problems dropping out while I type on an unfamiliar (iPad)machine. Death to Apple! (So there!)

I was current when we left home. I have been diligently studying chorizos (which is to say, eating sausage every chance I get). The best is made from acorn-fed "Jamon Iberica", fermented, smoked. Yum!

...more, later. (It's time for breakfast.)
Duk
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Nov 07, 2013 16:56

redzed wrote:Ray, the problem started with not being able to bring the temperature higher fast enough. I preheated the smoker to 130 then I put the sausage and the sawdust with pellets into the smoker. The temperature dropped to 112 and it took more than one hour to recover to 130. Kabanosy are thin sausages and they need to be smoked for only 60 - 90 minutes. So after one hour at 130 with smoke, I checked them and there was no colour on them. I bumped up the heat to 150, and it took another hour or so to reach that. By then they had some colour. I flipped the switch to 1250w and set the temp to 180 for what should have been the final 20 minutes, but instead it took another hour to bring the IT of the sausage to 150. So in the end the sausage had over 3 hrs of smoke and was overbaked. However, there was no fat out, and the texture is not that bad. (This kiełbasa should be crumbly when you snap one kabanos in half, so I was very careful in not over mixing it) I'm a bit disappointed with the length of time it took to bring up the temperatures, but maybe because it was a cool and windy day when I was smoking. The ambient temperature was only 6° or 7°C.

Next time, I will pre-heat the smoker for a longer period and place less smoking material into the pan. Because it was quite windy, I also might have kept the dampers closed a little too much, with the smoke building up and turning rancid. Now all I can think of is making another batch of sausage and smoking it. But that will have to wait as I am off to Kauai in three days for a couple of weeks sans saucisse. :lol: .
I haven't tried my hand at Kabanosy yet so I'm not familiar with the smoking process required for them. I smoke just about everything with the bottom damper half open, the top about a third open, then there are some things that require the dampers be closed for the last 4-5 hours of smoking. I raise the temp 2-3 degrees every 15-20 minutes and never open the door except to change the sawdust after about four hours. Sawdust seems to work better for me then chips, most always applewood, and I pretty much fill the pan. I moisten the sawdust with a spray bottle, fill the pan, and make a little hole in the center of the pan with my index finger, a little tip I picked up somewhere. For smoking sausage I never raise the temp over 165°, never flip the switch from 625 watts to 1250. On days I've been smoking stuff when the wind kicks up I utilize a wind-block I made from cardboard boxes and duct tape to shield the bottom vent. There are times I've smoked a half dozen chickens in 16 hours, others that have taken 23 hours. Outside temp is a factor for sure, but with just about all things smoking, nothing can be rushed. Once I reach a recommended smoker temperature I just leave it there until the required IT is reached no matter how long it takes.

Have a great time at the Islands Chris, never been to Kauai, Maui three times. I always like to go right after the Super Bowl, by then I'm sick of the cold and don't have to miss any football. This year we're booked to go back to Ixtapa the week after the SB, always about 88-90° then, perfect for spending the day at the pool swamp-bar. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:24

Re-visited the breakfast sausages as CW suggested I used sage and thyme. Tasted lovely. I also cut down the length of the stuffing horn. The end internal diameter of the barrel was much wider and the sausages were easy to stuff. Sure this meant that it could not hold as much collagen casing, but more than enough for 2kg of sausage. The sausages look neat, but lack the rustic look of natural casings.

Mark
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Sun Nov 10, 2013 04:30

Hi all,
Had a big sausage making day yesterday: Italian in hog, Breakfast in sheep, Kabanosy in collagen. Will post some pics when I get around to it, but not today. My Kabanosy is dogfood too. Ray, yours look beautiful compared to the mess I made. I'm quite discouraged and don't think I'll make another attempt for a while.
Best wishes Ursula
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Nov 10, 2013 15:12

C'mon Ursula, you know the best thing to do when you fall off the horse is to climb back on him and ride. Three different sausages in one day would be a lot to bite off, I've never even tried two different sausages in a day. Heck, sometimes a 22 pound batch will take me two days; cut, grind, and mix one day, clean-up, stuff, shrink-wrap, and tidy the next. Different sausages, different casings, all the clean-up, you must be beat. I'm up early baking a few fresh rolls for our breakfast and this being a Niner game Sunday, that's about all I'm going to do today. RAY
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 20:30

Horse? Horse! Did someone say horse? Hey, are we talking horses here? What horse? Where's my horse? Whose horse? :shock: You say Ursula fell offa' danged horse?
I'm quite discouraged and don't think I'll make another attempt for a while.
Ursula... now get up and dust yourself off! You ain't hurt! :roll: Now grab that apple with your left hand, swing yer' right leg over the saddle and "git back on" that broomtail! Let's figure out what went wrong. Too much moisture? There shouldn't be much added water. I don't use any at all except to mix the Cure #1. It makes a mess out of the collagen. The mixture should be ground twice, mixed and emulsified to develop proteins. It should be a little thick and sticky.

Can you explain a little more what went wrong with your kabanosy? What were some of the problems? We're here to help. Let's figure this out.... and .... DON'T MAKE ME USE UPPERCASE! :lol:

If you have tapered, plastic stuffing tubes, toss 'em out and get a set of straight stainless steel tubes. Make sure you have a long, stainless, narrow tube made for 19 mm collagen. Stuffing should be as smooth as silk. Make long "ropes", let the mixture "set" half an hour, then cut lengths with scissors. Try cooking them in your kitchen oven at only 250 degrees F. (121 C.) and monitor them closely with a remote thermometer. When they reach 148 degrees F. internal meat temperature, (64 C. IMT), remove them and let them dry on a rack for a couple of days. They will bloom and be tasty and nice about the fourth day. Use lots of black pepper!

NOW... enough of this discouragement talk! Do it! Do it! Do it! Take photos too. You WILL succeed this time... I know it! We're behind you kid!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Nov 11, 2013 04:44

Okay kids, before we leave the "fresh sausage" section, let`s make one last effort to create the perfect sausage - your own! Let`s make about three pounds of it. Yup, if you`ve done your reading and have made a few sausages, you`ve learned that the real secret of crafting great sausage lies within HOW you make it rather than focusing too much on what goes into the sausage. Of course great sausage must have great ingredients but there is more to it than that. Let`s understand right up front that good sausage is NOT made of odds and ends, scrap pieces, and leftovers, as so many people seem to believe. There are a number of small procedures and specific rules to remember, as well as things we must NOT do. When the guidelines are followed, sometimes even in sequence, your chances of success are much greater. However, omit just one and you may as well start again.

Just for fun, let`s first consider an imaginary sausage and use some of the newly discovered secrets from the Project B2 reading. Let`s say you have decided to make a garlic-basil-red wine sausage and put it into casings to be frozen for future breakfast recipes. Just the right amount of each "secret ingredient" seemed to work a kind of magic when you accidentally put them together the first time. Wow, this stuff is marvelous and sure to get the attention of all your family and friends at first, then the general public later on. Your recipe is going to be legendary, right? Perhaps people will beat a path to your front door just to lay their hands on some of your sausage! Uhhh... okay... right! :roll:

Okay, you`ve purchased the best meat and will keep it cold while you work in batches to process it. First you bone the shoulder and then cut the meat across the grain into cubes so that long strands won`t wrap around the auger spindle. You even go so far as to sharpen the rotating knife and place the metal parts of your grinder into the freezer. The casings have even been flushed and prepared just perfectly and everything is ready to go. The fresh spices have been measured and put aside ready to mix. You`ve even included your own basil from your garden out back. The grinding begins and everything goes perfectly. You`re going to make garlic-basil sausage that will knock their socks off because only you know the next secret ingredient... a cup of uncle Albert`s burgundy vino fino! Alas, everything comes together and the aroma is driving you nuts! Now, cover the sausage and refrigerate it until the morning until you can toss some into the frying pan and put the rest in casings.

Nine o`clock A.M. You slept in an hour because it`s the weekend. Now to cook up some of that great sausage for breakfast. You open the fridge, take out the sausage lug and remove the top when... whew! What the heck is that? This is not an aroma... this is an odor! And what an odor! It smells like your cousin Clem`s old gym socks - the ones that stand up by themselves and wilted the leaves on the roses! What has happened? What went wrong? Ten pounds of good meat and a lot of work are just tossed out!

The plain truth is making a quality sausage requires a little knowledge of meat science and the rules that manage them. And the rules must be followed. In the case above, we cannot add fresh garden spices to the mixture because they contain bacteria, molds, and sometimes even insects. Aerobic Pseudomonas (spoilage bacteria ) have a ball multiplying quickly in the moist, nutrient-laden meat.

Spoilage Bacteria

Don`t confuse pathogenic bacteria with spoilage bacteria. Pathogenic bacteria cause illness. They grow rapidly in the "Danger Zone" at temperatures between 40 and 140 °F. and do not generally affect the taste, smell, or appearance of food. Food that is left too long at unsafe temperatures could be dangerous to eat, but smell and look just fine. Campylobacter, Salmonella, and E. coli O157:H7 are examples of pathogenic bacteria.

Spoilage bacteria reproduce at specific temperatures and some can grow at the low temperatures inside your refrigerator or even your freezer. Other spoilage bacteria grow well at room temperature and anywhere within the "Danger Zone." Bacteria will grow anywhere they have access to nutrients and water and under the correct conditions, spoilage bacteria may reproduce extremely rapidly in large populations. Spoilage bacteria can actually double their numbers in as little as 20 minutes and it doesn`t take long for a large number of microorganisms and their waste products to cause objectionable changes in odor, taste, and texture. P.U. :roll: Brochotrix thermosphacta and Pseudomonas spp. are examples of spoilage bacteria.

It`s All About The Temperature

Mesophilic bacteria (the largest and most common group) are those that grow best in moderate temperatures - about 70° to 98° F. but mesophiles can also grow at only 45° degrees and up to 110° degrees, but they do so more slowly.

Some like it hot! Thermophilic bacteria live and multiply best at approximately 130° degrees F. but can grow anywhere between 110° and 190° degrees F.

Psychrophilic bacteria grow from 32° to 90° degrees F. Most thrive at 50° to 70° degrees. Because they grow better NOT best than the mesophilic bacteria at refrigerated temperatures--32 to 45 degrees--, this group is most often responsible for spoilage in refrigerated foods.

Contrary to the belief of many people, cold or freezing does not always kill bacteria. Make no mistake! In most cases it just stops or slows down their growth. The FSIS rules require "extended freezing" with prescribed lengths of time at precise temperatures to slowly kill them. Also, bacteria need water to grow and even though some of them have the ability to resist long drying out periods, keeping things dry will stop growth and in some instances will kill them. Generally, bacteria responsible for spoilage of foods (mesophilic and psychrophiles) can be killed by hot water. Ten minutes at 150 degrees F. will be sufficient. However, there are some strains so resistant that germicides such as chlorine and quaternary ammonium compounds are required to control them.

Making your own sausage recipe

It really doesn`t take long to discover that the best sausage is made of meat, salt, and pepper only. Yet, just one or two favorite spices may add just the right personal touch to your project. Believe me, if you get carried away adding all sorts of spices and herbs, you`ll just have ten pounds of sausage you don`t want to eat and can`t give away! Why not fry up just a simple sample "test" paddy and keep meticulous notes?

Your recipe will need a bit of salt - un-iodized salt that is! About 1-1/2 to 2% in fresh sausage. It`s there to hold water, bind proteins, flavor the meat, firm the meat, and prevent loss of water when it is cooked. How much do you need? Weigh the meat in grams - for every 100 grams of meat, simply add 2 grams of salt.

Next, you`ll need to add some backfat to your sausage. Put in about 25% for best results. Thirty percent is alright if you want just a bit more for smooth chewing texture, but I suggest avoiding two things - beef fat and fat content above 30%. By the way, did you know that your local grocery store butcher can legally put 50% fat in his sausage. (And we wonder where all the grease comes from in the bottom of the frying pan.)

Mother nature made a curious occurrence by placing the hardest fats near the interior of the piggy. The further the distance from the center of the animal, the softer it becomes. Backfat is ideal. And, please use pork fat - that`s where the flavor is, believe me.

Piper nigrum is pepper. Both white pepper and black pepper are grown by the same plant although black pepper is mostly used in fresh sausage. It is added in amounts varying from .1% to .4% in meat.

Spices are the most controversial ingredients in sausage. The choices are actually more limited than you may believe as many spices just do not do well in sausage. An excellent guideline for their use is given in chapter 12 of "Home Production Of Quality Meats And Sausages" by Stan Marianski. Various cultures over time have given us "signature spices". For instance, the addition of marjoram and garlic are common in Polish sausages, while Italian sausage uses fennel. The addition of cayenne gives us hot Italian sausage, while Hungarian sausage uses sweet Hungarian paprika. Andouille is distinguished by the addition of thyme with garlic, and our delicious kabanosy is made using nutmeg and caraway. Which spice will be your secret ingredient? Or will you even have a secret ingredient?

In the next section, we`ll learn how to add the proper sodium nitrite cure in the right amount and then even smoke it. We`ll take your same recipe, add the cure, stuff the sausage into casings, and find that it changes the entire character of your sausage. Perhaps you`ll grill it, boil it, broil it or even bake it in smoke.

For now, make a "fresh" sausage. Your own! Remember not to smoke it (without a cure being added). Please keep good notes and write down all the details. Take photos too. Show us some preparation steps as well as some finished on the plate. And give your sausage an original name! Who can tickle the taste buds with this project? Go team, go!

Please read:
Sixteen Tips For Writing A Professional Recipe at this link:
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5838

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Tue Nov 12, 2013 20:06, edited 1 time in total.