Pork Bellies

Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Pork Bellies

Post by Krakowska » Tue Nov 12, 2013 22:45

Thinking of giving it a shot at making some bacon. I see some really interesting recipes. Got a couple of questions for the pros who have done this before. Made a call and get pork bellies at $2.19 a lb. (Restaurant Depot Tampa) Is this a fair price? Also Got Hickory and Oak (also cherry and apple) I know it is a personnel preference, but what do You guys like? Is it really as simple as it looks? I like the Chuck Wagon Sons Of Bees Bacon
Honey Rubbed, Maple Flavored, Dry-Cured Bacon

Thanks in Advance, Much appreciated. Fred :cool:
Keep them safe until they all come home.
workingpoor
Beginner
Beginner

Post by workingpoor » Wed Nov 13, 2013 00:34

2.19 a pound is less than I am paying in Pittsburgh. Belly up he has shot to 3.50 a pound for FRESH not frozen. I prefer fresh, because the texture of the meat seams to change but I am not if that is scientifically true or in my head. I am not sure that RD has fresh.

To answer the second question, it is a simple as it sounds. A decent cure, some refrigerator space, time and then some smoke. I like an apple hickory mix but that is just me. I would suggest that you use a bacon hanger for smoking like the one here. http://www.sausagemaker.com/49340andnbs ... anger.aspx

It doesn't affect the taste but it allows the belly to shrink in a more symmetrical way while smoking to allow for easier slicing. I also started to partially freeze bulk bacon before slicing. It made it super easier.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Nov 13, 2013 00:44

$2.19lb is pretty sweet, best I can do right now is $2.65lb for fresh. The Son of Bees recipe is fantastic, my buds at deer camp raved about it, Slice it thick! I like straight applewood, but a combo or even straight hickory would work real good too I think. Follow the recipe and rub it around a couple of times a day while it's in the fridge, you can't hardly go wrong. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Nov 13, 2013 03:56

I am quoted twice that in Maryland.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Nov 13, 2013 05:09

Hey Fred! Go for it. I don't think you'll beat that price anywhere. I`m glad you chose my "Sons Of Bees Bacon" recipe. It`s tried n` true and delicious. Slice it thick just like Ray recommends. Be sure to post photos and let us know how it`s going.

Oh, and Workingpoor... you wrote:
I prefer fresh, because the texture of the meat seams to change but I am not if that is scientifically true or in my head.
No, it's not in your head. When it is frozen, ice crystals rupture the meat cells. Slow freezing is more damaging than quick freezing. If you can get "fresh", do it by all means. However, if you have to buy a frozen product, you can still make a pretty good slab of bacon. Good luck! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Thu Dec 12, 2013 18:09, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ursula
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ursula » Wed Nov 13, 2013 08:44

$10 a kilo here in Oz. (that's about $5 a pound)
Must be a lot more pigs in the States.
_I don't mean that the way it sounds!!
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:02

Thank You everyone. Will take a "Road trip" up to Tampa next week. Workingpoor, You have a RD in Pittsburgh. You must have a card to purchase but it is free. Just need a tax number from an organization who has a business and they will give out numerous cards if You ask. It does not matter if your in a food service business or auto repair OR a organization such as VFW or church, look into it you have time. My card was issued in Buffalo (Friend of mine owns a collision shop) and I use it here in Tampa. Here is a link to the outfit http://www.restaurantdepot.com/flyers. Ross, You have 2 in Maryland, Baltimore and Capitol Heights. I buy my non iodized salt there (25 lb bag) I think was under 5 bucks etc. Flour, PORK BUTTS etc. Just look at the flyer. Pretty much the same city to city but I do see Tampa has a lot more seafood to offer and a "Fresh Seafood" business which Buffalo does not. If You do go there it has the worlds LARGEST refrigerator. They have coats to put on before you go in. This is where all the meats, vegetables cheese are stored HUGE. Thanks again everyone Just trying to save all of us some money. Fred :cool:
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:32

http://www.restaurantdepot.com/flyers

Sorry, This link to RD works, So Sorry

Thanks Again Everyone, Fred :cool:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Nov 13, 2013 13:40

ursula wrote:$10 a kilo here in Oz. (that's about $5 a pound)
Must be a lot more pigs in the States.
_I don't mean that the way it sounds!!
Darling, you are correct in either context! :roll: :cool:
Ross- tightwad home cook
workingpoor
Beginner
Beginner

Post by workingpoor » Wed Nov 13, 2013 15:06

Thanks Krakowska,
I do have a RD card, but the RD here only had frozen bellies. I do use RD for beef but for pork I typically use Costco.
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Wed Nov 13, 2013 15:28

We have a Costco down here near me. Are the meat prices comparable to RD? I never seen anyone beat their prices BUT if they are in the ball park. Never been in Costco. Thanks Workingpoor
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Wed Nov 13, 2013 16:13

Check out oriental markets in your area, as they use a lot of pork bellies.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Thu Nov 14, 2013 02:11

Costco in the San Jose area doesn't sell pork belly, though they always have butts in 2-packs, usually for 1.69 lb., with a nice coppa on each! I've gotten plenty of belly at a Vietnamese market that sells it for 2.59 without the ribs on, and 2.79 with ribs on. The nice thing about an Asian market is that as long as you're there, you can get any other part of the pig you might be interested in (and then some!). I typically get hocks while I am at it. Sometimes I buy trotters to pickle, and again, the nice thing about buying from a butcher is that he will cut your stuff up any way you like with his band saw. I have no decent way of cutting trotters at home - at least not the way I like them. I always suffer Meat Band Saw Envy while watching one at work.

I just roll the hocks in a cure/salt/sugar mixture, let them soak for 5 days in the fridge, then smoke them. I make bacon the same way, except that I add maple sugar to that, and let it go for 7 days. So easy it's just ridiculous.

I am sure Sons of Bees is fantastic, and I will have to try it some time.

Cheers,
Jeff
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Thu Dec 12, 2013 14:10

Got the pork bellies yesterday 13 lbs, Question: Leave skin on or take off? Seems the skin off there would be more penetration of curing mix and more flavor. Need advice. Thanks in advance. Fred :cool:
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Dec 12, 2013 15:25

This is a quote from a previous post by our fearless leader, CW.

"Cut and square belly slabs into a convenient size for hanging in your smoker. Good bacon should have equal proportions of fat and meat. Stir the ingredients together until they are well combined and the mixture is smooth. Be sure to use only real maple syrup. Don`t even think about the imitation stuff! Place the bellies into a shallow, lipped, non-reactive pan and hand rub the cure well into the meat. Keep the meat cold as possible while you distribute the cure evenly. Continue rubbing the cure-mixture into the meat and fat of the belly for a few minutes. Next, allow the bellies to cure in the pan, refrigerated, or in convenient, large, 2-gallon, Ziploc plastic bags. Place the slabs belly-side up for two days while the salt draws moisture from the meat and a brine develops. By the third day, if the brine has not quite covered the meat, add a little water - up to two quarts if necessary. It is important to allow this brine to remain in contact with the bacon as it cures. Inspect the progress daily and re-distribute the cure by turning the bellies over. The cure rate is one day per pound - up to 12 days. In other words, a ten pound bacon is removed on the tenth day, while a 14 lb. bacon should be removed on the twelfth day. Next, wash the bacon well and scrub away all the surface salt and sticky maple or honey residue. It is important NOT to soak the bacon at this point. Pat it dry and hang it up to dry completely while you pre-heat your smokehouse to 140° F. Smoke the bacon over a drip pan in hickory smudge until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 130 °F. Finally, lower the smokehouse temperature to 115° F. and continue to smoke the bacon until it blooms.
Now is the time to remove the skin if so desired. Simply slide a long knife blade beneath the skin and draw it slowly, leaving as much fat on the bacon as possible. Use the cured, salted, smoked skin to flavor stews, soups, beans, etc. Wrapped in plastic, refrigerate the bacon 24 hours then cut slices extra thick! Cooked outdoors on a griddle, it is pretty hard to beat. If you MUST eat inside, remember that professional chefs often use a hot oven to cook bacon evenly, preventing it from curling".

The ones I get already have the skin removed, makes it easy. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”