Linguisa smoking question

kcdad

Linguisa smoking question

Post by kcdad » Thu Dec 19, 2013 22:27

I am making Rytek's linguisa recipe and it state to place sausage in smokehouse overnight at 100deg then 130 the following day. I know conditioning sausage to take smoke is common but I thought it was a much shorter period than overnight. So, do I apply smoke for both phases or just one? If so first or second phase?
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu Dec 19, 2013 23:19

I'm on the road now, away from my copy of Rytek's book, or I would look the recipe over. I'll hazard a guess, though. I suspect that the 100 degree period is for drying, then the 130 degree period is for smoking.

Be sure that cure #1 is included in your recipe- - surely he calls for it. Following the 130 degree smoking, the recipe probably calls for rapid cooling, followed by refrigeration, and for eating or freezing within a few days. Enjoy!
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
kcdad

Post by kcdad » Thu Dec 19, 2013 23:44

His directions state:

"Stuff into casing and hang on smokesticks. Allow the sausage to air dry before placing in the smokehouse. After the sausage is dry, place into cool smokehouse overnight at 100-110 deg F. The next morning, raise the temp to 130-135 deg F and hold until the sausage firms up. Remove from smokehouse and allow to hang at room temp before placing into 40-45 deg F refrigerator overnight."

I thought the same as you stated, but was looking for a little clarification. Thanks for your reply.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Dec 20, 2013 02:08

Did someone say linguica??? The joy of the Portuguese and the sausage of my youth!

I would assume that the first hanging period is without smoke, for the purpose of drying the casing and firming up the links. Linguica is lightly smoked, so for an authentic flavor smoke for about 3 hours.

Here us a good recipe. It says that cure #1 is optional - it should say it is optional only if you are not going to smoke. But I like it with the cure whether smoked or not. Gives it that bright orange color and the flavor I am used to. http://honest-food.net/2011/04/16/portu ... -sausages/

Pictures will be shared I hope!

Jeff
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Dec 20, 2013 08:21

The government classifies this type sausage an "uncooked sausage" (because the temperature only reaches 135°F (... not high enough to destroy trichinella spiralis). The sausage is held at 100° F. overnight to help dry it so it will take on smoke. As it smokes, the temperature raises enough to dry out the meat a little more. Actually, the temperature of 135° will "par-cook" so it may be eaten safely if further dried a bit to 0.91 Aw where all pathogenic and spoilage bacteria will be destroyed with the exception of staphylococcus aureus. The FSIS regulations insist that the meat in this particular sausage be "Certified Pork" (free from trichinae spiralis). For information about destroying trichinae yourself, see this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=4808

Oh, and yes... notice that Cure 1 (with sodium nitrite) is used rather than Cure 2 (with nitrate). It`s because the nitrate has already been broken down in nitrite (curing the meat much faster). If this sausage is made with Cure 2, there is a danger of it being consumed prior to curing. One more thing... DO NOT rinse the sausage with water. Simply allow it to cool on its own to room temperature.

Cabonia, you wrote:
Here us a good recipe. It says that cure #1 is optional - it should say it is optional only if you are not going to smoke. But I like it with the cure whether smoked or not. Gives it that bright orange color and the flavor I am used to. http://honest-food.net/20...guica-sausages/
I strongly disagree Jeff. Any sausage recipe should state either nitrate OR nitrite - one or the other - for the proper reasons involving timing of the curing period. We certainly are not to be free to choose one or the other at random, and never, ever mix the two together.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Dec 20, 2013 08:57

Hi CW - I'm a little confused! I am saying cure is not optional for smoked sausage. Maybe I worded it wrong. :/

Best,
Jeff
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Dec 20, 2013 09:34

Hi Jeff, I realize that you understand the rules and are saying it is NOT optional. I'm scratching my head over the recipe given by Mr. Shaw where he says Cure 1 is "optional". It certainly is not. Perhaps Shaw should have said, "Include Cure 1 if smoking the sausages".

Hang in there pal. I like linquisa too. Great stuff.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Fri Dec 20, 2013 09:45

:smile:

It really is incredible how many smoked and fermented sausage recipes on the internet leave out cure.

I think Hank Shaw knows what he is doing, but lacked some clarity on this one.

I admire your laser focus on clarity in this matter. The stakes are high.
kcdad

Post by kcdad » Fri Dec 20, 2013 17:35

Thanks for all the replies. I was raised on Linguisa and love it to this day. Unfortunately for me I did not get into sausage making until those on the Portuguese side of my family were all gone and with it the process. This recipe seems very similar to what I can gather from the rest of the family.

Mine is drying and will be in the smoker tonight. I will update as I progress. Thanks again.
kcdad

Post by kcdad » Sat Dec 21, 2013 19:30

Here is the finished Linguisa. I will refrigerate overnight and taste tomorrow. Thanks again for the help.

Image[/img]
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Sat Dec 21, 2013 20:17

hey kcdad - Lookin good. Eagerly awaiting taste test results.

Jeff
kcdad

Post by kcdad » Sun Dec 22, 2013 20:52

This is a keeper for me. Taste very close to what I remember as a kid. Now just to bake up some Portuguese sweet bread and i will be set.

Image[/img]
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Mon Dec 23, 2013 18:27

kc - that looks like the old style I remember too. Nice and chunky. Congratulations!

I would encourage other members of this forum to try this sausage. If you like smoked andouille or csabai, you will like linguica. You really can't go wrong with its principle ingredients of garlic, paprika, and red wine. You can add oregano, or a touch of warm spices such as cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cumin, or just go with the basic formula. You can make it mild or hot by adding red pepper. It is great with fried eggs for breakfast, and in beans, stews, seafood dishes (like shrimp creole), and soups. It can be grilled and eaten on a roll. The Portuguese use it in everything.

Cheers,
Jeff
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 21:06

Hi Jeff,
Those photos certainly have done it for me. I will be making them when the temperature
goes down a bit, it's a stinker here with 35C heat high humidity.
Smoked sausage with garlic and paprika certainly are one my favourite foods.
Now I only have to get a recipe for Portuguese Sweet Bread to go with them, hint,hint!!!
Cheers,
Jan
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Tue Dec 24, 2013 08:30

crustyo44 wrote:Now I only have to get a recipe for Portuguese Sweet Bread to go with them, hint,hint!!!
Sounds like a good idea, but I've never made it. You're going to have to get the recipe from kcdad.