Rytek Sausage Sticks (Slim Jims)

Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Rytek Sausage Sticks (Slim Jims)

Post by Krakowska » Wed Jan 29, 2014 00:28

Need some guidance of Ryteks recipe. "Meat is placed in smokehouse at 98-110 degrees F with cold smoke for 8 hours. If You want more tang hold this temp for 12 more hours." OK so we are talking about a constant smoke for all these hours? With my little electric Brinkman I probably will use a 5 gallon bucket of chips. THAT is a lot of smoke! (And a lot of beer, lol) Keep this smoking for all these hours? Also, Got hickory, oak, apple and cherry who like what wood? Any suggestions on both questions?

Thank You Very Much Everyone, Great site. Much Appreciated.
Fred

Here is the way I make my chips. apple wood

Keep them safe until they all come home.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:23

Fred my friend,

Rytek was referring to more time in his "fermentation chamber" which was simply his COLD smokehouse temporarily set at a temperature conducive with the increase of lactic acid bacteria over a longer period of time. This is part of the "lag phase" and does not usually include smoking. This additional time (at a higher, ideal bacterial growth temperature), allows for development of lactobacillus and pediococcus - both symbiotic families of lactic acid bacteria almost universally chosen to meet the needs of fermented type sausages. In Rytek`s day, the home-hobbyist didn`t have access to the wonderful cultures we have today. However, Rytek knew that by allowing more time for the naturally-present lactobacillus to develop lactic acid, the tangy flavor would develop further.

Today we have cultures having both lactobacillus and pediococcus. Each includes its own strains and depending upon the qualities desired in a specific product, more than one strain may be combined in one culture. Some do well in higher salt content, others do not. Some do better than others at higher (or lower) temperatures. The strains most beneficial (therefore most commonly used), of lactobacilli include: lactobacillus pentosus, lactobacillus curvatus, lactobacillus plantarum, lactobacillus farciminis, lactobacillus sakei, et.al. Of the pediococci, two widely used strains are pediococcus pentosaceus and pediococcus acidilactici. These are the workhorses of fermentation, thriving on sugar - dextrose ideally - as glucose (dextrose) is the most simple of all forms of sugar, being utilized quickly to produce rapid fermentation. Glucose, produced from cornstarch, is only about 70% as sweet as sucrose refined from sugar beets or sugar cane, then being combined with fructose from fruit. Lactose (called milk sugar) binds water very well but has poor fermenting quality and non-fat dry milk contains about 52% lactose. For this reason, I choose to add dextrose to fermented sausage rather than powdered milk composed of more than half lactose - the worst choice of fermenting sugars. Also, there are limits to be considered in using added sugar as the more that is used, the more sour or "tangy" the product will become.

Although lactobacilli and pediococci bacteria are ideal acid-producers for fermentation, they also produce acetic acid, bacteriocins, and various enzymes, but do almost nothing to contribute to the development of flavor and color. This is where the use of strains from the micrococcaceae family becomes vital - especially the bacterial strains staphyloccus and micrococcus (now called Kocuria). These are the strains chiefly responsible for the reduction of nitrate to nitrite. In checking with Professor Ron Ragsdale, head of the Chemistry Department at the University Of Utah, he further explained that as nitrite reacts with oxygen, additional nitrate is created which must subsequently be broken down into nitrite by micrococcaceae.

Hey, Fred... just a suggestion. Today they have a culture so quick that it only takes 2 days to develop an acidy of >pH 5.3. Why not give it a try? Just follow the directions on the package and poof!... in a couple of days you`ve got tangy pepperoni. There`s nothing complicated about it. And I`ll sure help you with it. Here`s the scoop on LHP.

Chr. Hansen`s Bactoferm™ LHP - (With Pediococcus Acidilactici And Pediococcus Pentosaceus))

Specifications: Bactoferm LHP is for extra fast acidification where a pronounced sour flavor is desired. Bactoferm LHP culture induces the pH to drop to under 5.3 in 30 hours or under 5.0 in 2 days. LHP is ideal for thin products similar to pepperoni or sausages less than 1" in diameter or any extra-fast culture targeted for fermentation temperatures 90°F-105°F. where both pediococcus pentosaceus (optimal growth at 95°F.) and pediococcus acidilactici (optimal growth at 104°F.), do very well. Dextrose is recommended as the nutrient for growth (not table sugar). Typically, LHP is used in products requiring less than 2 weeks to completely develop, including drying. Note: Use Cure #1 with this culture.
Preparation:
For every 10 lbs. of meat, dilute 1/2 teaspoon LHP culture in 1/2 cup distilled water (or chlorine free tap water). Allow the mixture to sit for 15-20 minutes while the bacteria "wake-up". Use the time to mix the seasonings, spices, and cure into the minced meat, developing the actomyocin. Finally, pour the solution over the mixed meat and distribute it thoroughly, being sure meat stays cold throughout the entire mixing process. Be sure to use Cure #1 with this culture.
Storage:
Keep any remaining culture sealed and frozen. The shelf- life of frozen cultures is 6 months. Unfrozen, cultures will last only a couple of weeks.

I hope this helps you understand the fermentation process just a bit more ol` pal. I`m really looking forward to the day you start producing your own salamis.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Wed Jan 29, 2014 14:22

Thank You so much Chuckwagon. Looks like I'm on my way to starting a new phase in sausage making. Your explanation of the cultures vs the old way was very informative. Ordered Marianski's book "The Art Of Making Fermented Sausage" a few days ago and am looking forward to progressing forward in the fermenting side of sausage making. Thanks again Chuckwagon for the time You spent explaining the process and science to a beginner.
Fred :cool:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jan 29, 2014 23:05

You are most welcome Krakowska. Just one more thought here if I may...
When you make your own chips for smoking, please make sure they are not from a "treated" piece of wood or lumber. The preservatives and chemicals they put into processed woods may be toxic to your food as they smoke. Use only nature's wood please. We need to keep you healthy! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 23:45

Looking at your Picture of how you make your wood chips is interesting! I have some wood that my sons friend gave me (Hickory and Maple). He works for his uncle who is in the tree cutting business and whenever he comes across a type of wood that I want he does his best to get it for me! I in turn make him some Jerky. It's been sitting inside my barn drying out and was looking at ways to get it into chip size quickly and easily! I was considering setting up a jig on my table saw but the drill idea looks interesting.

I do have a couple of questions -
1.) it appears that you have some type of log that you are drilling the chips from - is that correct?

2.) are you using what appears to be a pallet as some type of jig to hold the log and if yes would like some more details of the set up?

Also any other members care to share how they make wood chips?
John
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Jan 30, 2014 06:37

"Also any other members care to share how they make wood chips?"

Chainsaw. Makes perfect chip / sawdust combo for my smoker, chunks don't seem to do well in my smoker. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jan 30, 2014 06:46

I split chunks but I have a fire box and start a fire and choke off the air to get a slow smolder.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Jan 30, 2014 09:08

I use both the firebox and the dust. Dust, I've used chainsaw and the planer. Planer does a wonderful job. If you know anyone who makes furniture they will surely be happy for you to take the planer flakes off their hands.
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:40

jbk101 wrote: I do have a couple of questions -
1.) it appears that you have some type of log that you are drilling the chips from - is that correct?

2.) are you using what appears to be a pallet as some type of jig to hold the log and if yes would like some more details of the set up?

1. Yes jbk101, that is an apple tree limb.

2. Yes that is an upside down pallet I have made with wheels on the bottom. I store material on them behind my shed so what ever I have stored is mobile. I have a patio table that I just flip the pallet over on to the table and clamp my log/limb to the pallet. The spade drill bit works well BUT I have to be careful. I try to max out the chips from the log so I am pushing it in a sense that if I am drilling close to another hole with the spade bit and somehow cut into the other hole, it will grab and twist the drill out of Your hand. Also I found that CHEAP spade bits are junk. They bend at any little abnormal activity while doing this. You have to have a variable speed drill and battery driven drills (got a Sears 19.2) are not made for this project. That little .5 inch Milwaukee I use gets a workout and I have to set it down and let it cool off. I found that to get chips this way the log HAS to be clamped. If I did not have the large clamp (which I use to compress the caliper piston on my and truck and car when I do a brake job) I would have used a ratchet strap. The thin ones used for cargo in pickups. Hope this helps.

Got a question for Ray
sawhorseray wrote: Chainsaw. Makes perfect chip / sawdust combo for my smoker, chunks don't seem to do well in my smoker. RAY
Ray a chainsaw was my first choice but what about bar oil on the chips?

And just a note to My Buddy Chuckwagon, Bactoferm LHP Dry (Pediococcus acidilactici & Pediococcus pentosaceus) is on its way from the Sausage Maker :cool:
Fred :cool:
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu Jan 30, 2014 14:26

"Ray a chainsaw was my first choice but what about bar oil on the chips?"

I usually set a large plastic tarp under a pair of sawhorses, clamp down the applewood limbs, and have at it.

When I'm done I just lift the corners of the tarp until the chips are in a little pile to dump into a bucket. Anything with any appreciable amount of oil just sticks to the tarp, everything in the bucket has always seemed to smell just fine. I guess if you were worried about a little chain oil a electric chainsaw would work, too slow for my liking. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”