Kabanosy Smoking Problems

checkerfred
User
User

Post by checkerfred » Thu Feb 13, 2014 20:49

Cabonaia wrote:Sounds good! I have never tasted deer bologna. You may already know this, but the secret to poaching big lunchmeat chubs like bologna is to start them in cold water and raise the temperature very slowly, then keeping within the 165-170F range, erring on the side of low, not high. Depending on the size of your casing, this can take a loooong time, so don't start at 9 PM unless you are a night owl. Once the meat has cooked for a while and firmed up, you can poke it now and then to drain the small fat puddles that may appear here and there.

I hope you send pictures of the finished product!

Jeff
Thanks Jeff! I did not know that. I've tried poaching once and failed at it...I'll definitely try this. My recipe seemed like it had too much garlic and onion but I did what it said. The test patty seemed fine, just a little stronger with those flavors. I wish I had went with my gut and cut it back, did a test patty, then added if need be.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Sat Feb 15, 2014 08:22

yeah....so many variables. When I am really paying attention, I take notes of what I am doing so that I know which adjustments to make the next time. Usually I don't get a result I really like until at least the third try. I think most everybody has this experience.

Test patties never help me that much, though I know they work for others. I can't translate their raw taste to what the sausage will taste like. But I know that certain measures, like 38 grams of salt per 5 lb batch, turn out the way I like. Also, that less is more when it comes to spices.

Cheers,
Jeff
checkerfred
User
User

Post by checkerfred » Sun Feb 16, 2014 04:40

Well I tried poaching again like you said... It seems like it came to temp really quick.... My only problem is I get water under the casing I guess where my thermometer probe went in, or maybe where the ends were tied. I made bologna and had a fibrous casing.. The ends of the sausage were terrible... They had no taste because the water got in... The sausage on up past the ends was fine tho.. Any tips for that?