Ground Back Fat

spud
User
User

Post by spud » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:30

Hi Jan.
Cant believe you can get Pork B/Fat.
What I have been making isn't all that good at moment. Domestic Control isn't a fan at moment so have to lift my game, hence buying back fat. Should have done so when I restarted into the fold.

Have to say there are some really great poster here and NorCal if you read this "love your work". Inspirational... :grin: have collected your posts as my go to data.

Question still unanswered is the time in freezer for back fat please.
Poor old Jan cant even get the stuff so I cant be the only one that gets lotto and has to deal with 20kg (not complaining don't get me wrong).
Awaiting the master to come in here as well. Guess he just walks out back and slices a kg or two off the frozen stuff hanging in the cow shed..

Next time in BNE Jan I will bring some of the GOLD Stuff over to U - promise.
rgds Spud.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:25

I find that freezing meat and fat hard like 24 hours and then over night in the fridge to warm up to about 28°F minus2°C works very well.
Ross- tightwad home cook
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Jul 17, 2014 08:11

Hey Spud! That is sure expensive stuff down there! And I thought our prices have been hitting the roof.Three weeks ago I picked up 8kg of back fat for $2.57 kg. Prices have gone up because the last time it was $2.20Kg. I get the fat from a small meat processor and distributor. Here too, the fat is normally sold in 20kg. boxes, but if I go to the plant they will cut off a chunk of an amount I need. They use it for their own production anyway, so why can't your butcher do the same and sell you a smaller amount if he also uses the stuff? Remember, a volume of fat is much lighter in weight than meat, so 20kg. will occupy a heck of a lot of space. And if you break it down and package in the amounts you are proposing, you will need a freezer just for that. Not sure how long the fat can stay frozen before it develops that familiar "old" flavour, but I certainly would not store backfat for two years. Even if vac packed I would not push it over one year. I keep my frozen backfat in one piece, in a heavy gauge plastic bag and cut of what I need with a large knife. Since the fat is not really one solid piece, but a whole bunch of different sized layers of strips of fat, it's very easy and not like frozen meat.
spud
User
User

Post by spud » Fri Jul 18, 2014 01:40

Hi RedZed.
Not completely sure how the Fat will arrive. Know as you mentioned that its never in a Block as such, there are layers and strips. Need to take a serious look at usage/storage time as you suggested. Do know that I dont have the freezer space at present for that as well as finished product.
At what is my expected average usage this would last for 33 batches.
Holy shite thats 80 odd kg of product. Is there anyone that makes that amount of sausage product in one year as a hobbist .

Guess I'll have to up the skill level to make sure I'm not the only one eating Sausage... :lol:

Thanks for you comments.
Rgds Spud
Janlab
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Janlab » Fri Jul 18, 2014 14:32

Just pass em on Spud! Will take em at cost!
Jan L