Smoked Paprika Salami

jcovey713

Smoked Paprika Salami

Post by jcovey713 » Thu May 01, 2014 19:10

Hello Everyone,

I have been reading this forum for the past week or so. I have recently finished my curing chamber and am just about ready to jump into my first cured salami.

Is anyone familiar with Salumi Artisan Cured Meats? It is owned by the Batali family and has amazing cured meats. They have a smoked paprika salami that is incredible. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on a good recipe to get started on trying to make this? There is a good picture of it on their website, but I can't link to it.

Thank you all for any advice and I look forward to communicating with you all as I learn to cure meats.

Cheers,

Jason
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu May 01, 2014 19:49

Hi Jason and welcome, you'll find a lot of nice folks here who've got a wealth of knowledge. I'm a stuffer and smoker, not much on fermenting (no room for more equipment) but I'm sure someone will get you pointed in the right direction. Here's the link, nice site. RAY

http://www.salumicuredmeats.com/
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu May 01, 2014 20:59

Hi Jason,
Most commercial outfits will never disclose their "secrets" and the Batali's are no exception. Commercial charcuterie outlets will tell you that "only they" have the "hidden and special information" that people would kill or die to have. What a bunch of crap!

I've always found two kinds of people on this ol' earth! There are people who share... and there a people who do not share. The folks who share information, are always, invariably, and almost without exception, the most happy! :mrgreen:

Forget trying to extract "secret" information from commercial suppliers. Believe me, they don't have any more secret crap than anyone else does. The truth is, the "secrets" to success in Dry Curing Meats are... (1.) hard earned knowledge, (2.) practice, and (3.) experience. It's that simple.

Stan Marianski has shared his vast wisdom with the world. He has presented us with books of his "tried n' true" experience and knowledge. The information is also published on this site... free of charge!

A few years ago, our fellow-members Jason and Carolina Story completed chef's school and graduated together. They read and studied everything they could find about curing meats and eventually got married and opened their place in Washing D.C. called "Three Little Pigs". It was an immediate hit and they've worked hard. Last year, Jason sent me a sample of everything he makes in his shop. It was absolutely incredible. The ham was out of this world and every bit as tasty as Batali's. Yes, I've had Batali's and it is very nice, but certainly not unique. YOU can make "unique" ham. YOU can make "unique" air-dried products - the best you've ever tasted - IF you try. You must study, practice, and gain experience. Only then will you "perfect the recipe".

There are many folks on this site who can and will help you - if you ask. Nobody will force any knowledge on you, but when they are asked politely, they will bend over backward to help you. Jason, we welcome you to this site and hope you will be an active member and take part in the discussions and chat. Good luck with your projects

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
jcovey713

Post by jcovey713 » Thu May 01, 2014 22:01

Chuckwagon,

Thank you for your response. Most of the post I have read on this forum have been from you, so I very much respect your opinion.

I am in the middle of my second read of Marianski's "The Art of Making Fermented Sausages" and it was either in there or on this board that was mentioned that there is no "secret recipe" to sausage making. After my research and trials of pizza dough, I believe that.

My post was not intended to look for the perfect recipe, merely a direction forward to get me started on my quest.

Thank you for all of your knowledge and willingness to share. If you ever have a question about pizza dough...I would love to share my experiences :grin:

I look forward to learning much more from you and this board.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu May 01, 2014 22:10

Jason, you wrote:
merely a direction forward to get me started on my quest.
Be sure to check out the information in "Project A" at this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5099
The latter pages of the project will help you immensely if you follow the suggested learning itinerary. The member's mistakes in this particular forum just might help you avoid some of your own. Good luck pal.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu May 01, 2014 22:36

jcovey713 wrote:Thank you for all of your knowledge and willingness to share. If you ever have a question about pizza dough...I would love to share my experiences :grin: .
Hey Jason, I'd love to try out a new pizza dough recipe! I make a pizza about once a week and always use the same old formula for the dough. We all like a thick crust so after the first rise I shape the dough and then cover and let it sit again for 45-50 minutes before painting the canvass. You post a recipe, I'll surely give it a shot. RAY

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Thu May 01, 2014 23:27

Hi Jason,

We used to say, that there are as many different kind of (paprika)salami, as times, as makers, as basic materials we make them.
In somewhat planer English, it'll be whatever it happens to turn out.......it's always different, no matter what you/we do.
Because it depends on many things......
Hungarians have many different kind, see if you like something here, and we'll translate the recipe for you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=csabai+ ... 80&bih=859

In the meantime I recommend this well known to you, I think there is recipe for it here too, as sausage, which is only thinner.

http://www.finomreceptek.hu/disznotor/c ... ami-recept

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I found the recipe here..........http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5245
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu May 01, 2014 23:41

My goodness! Methinks I'm going to become a Hungarian. That site is marvelous. Hey Gulyas, how do you pronounce, "Csabai"?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Fri May 02, 2014 01:33

Hey Mr. CW.

This is the closest I could come up with.........csabai Pronunciation: chah-BUY

And I copied it from here. :mrgreen:

http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatcureCC.html

In order to become Hungarian, one must love sausage. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri May 02, 2014 03:23

Thanks Joe!
jcovey713

Post by jcovey713 » Fri May 02, 2014 05:40

Ray, that is one mighty fine looking pie.

Check your PM, I'll send you one of my favorite recipes.

Gulyas, the csabai salami looks very much like what I am looking for. This recipe looks very similar to what I am looking for. I was able to use Google Translate and got about 90% of the recipe translated. What is: konzervsó & marhabélbe? Thank you!

Thank you all for wonderful information. I can't wait to get started.

Cheers
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Fri May 02, 2014 05:57

Hi Jason,
I'm very happy we could help you.
The konzervsó means, use canning salt, or sea salt, or kosher salt, something clean, not iodized.

The marhabél means, use large casings, another way of saying, use salami size casings, not the small diameter sausage casings. Curing time will be longer, but the larger size also gives you better taste.

Let me know, if I can help anything else.

Good luck to you Jason, and welcome in the forum.

Joe.