Mold 600

ped
User
User

Mold 600

Post by ped » Wed May 07, 2014 12:55

I can't find a source for Mold 600 in the UK, because it is freeze dried, if I were able to get it sent from the US would it still be viable or is there a max period before it has to go into a freezer or does that only apply once the packet is opened?

Thanks in advance
Ped
Tasso
User
User

Post by Tasso » Thu May 08, 2014 17:31

You might consider culturing the mold from commercial sausage. I found a link that explains how to do it on another forum. I have never done anything like it, but it sounds like a plausible technique.

Harvesting mould from commercial salami

You might also try calling some of the fermented sausage producers in the UK and ask them if you can buy some mold from them. Who knows, they might even just give you some.
Igor Duńczyk
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Igor Duńczyk » Sat May 17, 2014 00:57

Hello there Ped!
Whereas the average (bacterial) starter cultures simply have to get into a freezer as quickly as possible after hopefully not too many days of transport, the mould spores is somewhat more sturdy stuff. But why go over lenghts (or in this case, oceans) when there ought to be reasonably many CH outlets in nearby Continental Europe? :roll:
After all, to the best of my knowlegde the Mold 600 is either produced in Denmark or Germany ...
Wishing you a Good Day!
Igor The Dane
ped
User
User

Post by ped » Sun May 18, 2014 09:07

Thanks Igor

Have thought about it but as I only speak English, googling it can be difficult !!, you have prompted me to contact Chr Hansen in Denmark directly though so we shall see?