Casing size to sausage type reference?

Tasso
User
User

Casing size to sausage type reference?

Post by Tasso » Thu May 08, 2014 07:36

I realize that there is no iron-clad rule about what diameter casing should be used for which type sausage, but I think for many sausage there are common conventions. Many recipes for homemade sausages that I've read specify the casing size, but many others do not. For example, I've looked at a dozen or so recipes for chaurice, and all of them simply say to stuff into prepared hog casings, without specifying the size.

Does anyone know of a reference for sausage type to casing size?

Another question. I have a hank of 41mm to 44mm hog casings that I bought specifically to use when I eventually make Andouille sausage. That's a bit larger than the more common commercial size of around 35mm to 38mm, but I like the less common wider sausages.

What other sausage are typically stuffed into 41mm to 44mm hog casings? I'm just looking for other sausage ideas for this size.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu May 08, 2014 12:51

Casing size is determined by how you intend to use the sausage. Hot dogs and bologna are practically the same recipe but the manner with which they are eaten is different.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Tasso
User
User

Post by Tasso » Thu May 08, 2014 14:54

Yes, but there are commonly used sizes for various types of sausages, aren't there? For example, breakfast sausage links stuffed into 22/24mm sheep casings, Italian sausage and bratwurst into 32/35mm hog casings, pepperoni into large hog casings or beef middles, and so on.

Some of the sausages listed in the Old "Project B" (August 2012) For Beginners thread, as another example:

- 22-26 mm sheep casings for the Breakfast Sausage
- 32-36 mm hog casings for Italian Sausage and Csabaii Sausage
- 19 mm collagen casing for Kabanosy
- 76 m.m. mahogany-colored casings for smokey beef stick.

I'm just wondering if there is a list somewhere of the casing size that is typically used for common types of sausages.
Tasso
User
User

Post by Tasso » Thu May 08, 2014 15:14

OK, I've been looking at various suppliers of casings, such as butcher-packer, allied kenco, the sausage maker, and a few others. They list a few examples of sausages that typically utilize a particular casing.

What I was hoping to find is a database of sausages that gives the casing type (pork, beef, sheep, collagen, etc) and size commonly used.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Thu May 08, 2014 17:04

Wade through your favorite recipes, looking at the size recommendation. Depending on what type of sausage you are making, diameter will of course vary, but many are stuffed into 32 mm hog casing. For traditional types, look up the recipe in whatever source you are using, and chances are good that there will be a recommendation. If not... you choose!

For the traditional recipes, you may have to "dig around" a bit, but that's part of the fun of our hobby.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Thu May 08, 2014 17:14

Here is one but there are others too.
http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/SausageD ... sTubes.pdf
Tasso
User
User

Post by Tasso » Thu May 08, 2014 18:31

el Ducko, you're right, most recipes specify or at least suggest the casing size to use. What really prompted my question was that for all the Chaurice recipes I found on the web, practically none of them specified what size to use. I do agree that digging around to find all the details and variations for traditional recipes is a lot of fun. You get exposed to a lot of different ideas and methods applied to different sausages, and come across other interesting related types as well.

Shuswap, thanks for the link to the sausage casing size / funnel size chart. That will be useful too.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu May 08, 2014 18:40

Once again it is a matter of how the sausage is eaten. I made chaurice a couple of weeks ago that I slice for breakfast sandwiches and that is cased in 3.5 inch casings.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Tasso
User
User

Post by Tasso » Thu May 08, 2014 19:20

I see. Chaurice for breakfast sandwiches sounds excellent. 3.5 inch diameter nicely covers a slice of bread, a large biscuit, a bagel, or tucks into an opened croissant. Add an egg and cheese if you want, and it has got to be a satisfying meal.

I'll be making a Creole style Chaurice for use in jambalaya, gumbo, red or white beans, to serve on the side with grits and eggs, etc. Basically to use like I would use Andouille. I'm going to use 41-44mm casings, since that's what I mostly have on hand. I think that may be a little larger than is typical of the chaurice that is produced commercially in Louisiana, but it should be OK.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu May 08, 2014 19:35

Chaurice sausage in a breakfast sandwich. Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Thu May 08, 2014 20:14

I think that stuffing a fresh sausage into a over-sized casing would lead to having to burn the outside of the sausage during cooking to ensure the center of the sausage reaches a safe eating temperature, especially if cooking on a grill. Just about everything I make gets stuffed into 32-35mm hog casings, they seem to grill up just right. I like making patties for breakfast sausage because I use maple sugar and apples in them and cook them on the weber grill just like a burger, then shrink-wrap and freeze after they have cooled. That way I can just thaw one in the sink and micro-zap it while the eggs are cooking. Sausage that contains a lot of maple syrup or sugar will burn pretty quickly in the pan, grilling gets them cooked without getting burned. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu May 08, 2014 20:32

Large casing sausages are usually sliced. The Chaurice and the bacon sausage I baked as a precooking method and then sliced to finish and
serve.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu May 08, 2014 23:24

Ross ol' pard ol' chap ol' pal!
Is that a tooth on the plate at the bottom of that sandwich? :shock:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu May 08, 2014 23:45

Not one of mine! :shock:
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri May 09, 2014 13:01

WE must either make the sausage fit the bread or the bread fit the sausage.
Ross- tightwad home cook