Casing packaging selection and saving unused casings

Tasso
User
User

Casing packaging selection and saving unused casings

Post by Tasso » Thu May 08, 2014 18:12

I've read a few topics about casing selection and management on this forum, but I still have a couple of questions.

At the various online butcher and sausage-making supply stores, casings are sold by the hank, in smaller "home packs", and pre-tubed. The home pack casings are packed in dry salt in vacuum sealed bags. The hanks may be packed in dry salt in vacuum bags like the home packs but larger, dry salted in small buckets, wet in salt water brine-filled plastic bags, and dry salted in net bags.

The home packs and the pre-tubed casings are pricey compared to hanks. So for reasons of economy, I would prefer to buy a hank each of the sizes I'll most commonly use. Since I'll be making small batches of sausage at a time, say 5 to 10 pounds of any particular sausage, a hank will last me quite a while. I know they keep for a long time in the refrigerator, and that unused casings that I've washed can be salted and put back in the fridge.

Here are my questions:

1) For a small volume home sausage maker who will consume a hank slowly over a period of time, are there advantages to one type of packaging over another? I.e., packed dry in salt in a bag or bucket, wet in a brine, or net packs?

2) When saving unused excess washed casings after a sausage making session, what is the best method of preserving them?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri May 09, 2014 15:23

Tasso

I have only used hanks and like you only use a small amount at a time.

If you get them in the small buckets from the SM those work just fine for long term storage...but do take up space in the fridge.

I just repack them in fresh salt and vacuum seal in a bag, saves space and eliminates the chance of spillage in a zip-lock bag.

Unused washed casings can be just added back to the bag.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri May 09, 2014 17:23

The Sausage Maker sells a hank of 32-36mm hog casings for $29.99, does about 125lbs. of sausage. They sell the home-paks that do 25lbs. for $5.99. Seems to be about a draw, and I've had some home-paks that gave me over 50lbs of finished product. Refrigerator space is always at a premium around our house, I salt and vac-real the leftovers. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Tasso
User
User

Post by Tasso » Fri May 09, 2014 21:45

So Bob and Ray, you both vacuum seal your dry-salted hanks. That makes sense as a space saving and mess-avoiding method.

If I had a hank of preflushed casings in brine, I could put them in brine in a plastic container after opening the bag. I believe I could also drain them, pat dry, then seal them up in vacuum bags or in a ziploc with plenty of salt. That would be more convenient for storage, but with the loss of the preflushed aspect.

Ray, I was looking at the natural casings at www.butcher-packer.com. They have 32/35mm and 35/38mm hog casings for $16.33. They call it a "bundle" rather than a "hank", but they say each bundle is 100 yards in length and yields 100 to 125 pounds of sausage. So that seems like the best price I've seen anywhere for a hank of hog casings in those sizes. Have you ever tried them?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Fri May 09, 2014 22:05

Tasso

Those bundles are all short lengths of casing...a PIA if you link.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Fri May 09, 2014 23:47

Tasso wrote:So Bob and Ray, you both vacuum seal your dry-salted hanks. That makes sense as a space saving and mess-avoiding method. Ray, I was looking at the natural casings at www.butcher-packer.com. They have 32/35mm and 35/38mm hog casings for $16.33. They call it a "bundle" rather than a "hank", but they say each bundle is 100 yards in length and yields 100 to 125 pounds of sausage. So that seems like the best price I've seen anywhere for a hank of hog casings in those sizes. Have you ever tried them?
I don't do hanks Tasso, I order home-paks ten at a time. My standard batch of sausage is usually 22 lbs. and I always seem to have a fair amount of casing left to salt and save in the fridge, taking up very little space. Most of the casings I get in a 32-35mm home-pak from PS Seasonings are 4-6 feet long, any longer than that and it gets kind of goofy to work with for me, I'm a one-man show. $16.33 for a hank would seem to be a great price. RAY

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Tasso
User
User

Post by Tasso » Sat May 10, 2014 00:53

Bob K wrote:Tasso

Those bundles are all short lengths of casing...a PIA if you link.
Ah, I see. So it's like a giant, hank-sized home pack. Same type of short casings like you find in a home pack, but a whole hank's worth in the package.

Still, at that price, it looks pretty attractive to me. The short casings didn't bother me when I made my Italian sausage. I made short links, 5 inches long. It might be more of a pain if I'm making longer links or big loops. Something to consider in contrast to the great price.
Tasso
User
User

Post by Tasso » Sat May 10, 2014 01:01

sawhorseray wrote:I don't do hanks Tasso, I order home-paks ten at a time. My standard batch of sausage is usually 22 lbs. and I always seem to have a fair amount of casing left to salt and save in the fridge, taking up very little space. Most of the casings I get in a 32-35mm home-pak from PS Seasonings are 4-6 feet long, any longer than that and it gets kind of goofy to work with for me, I'm a one-man show. $16.33 for a hank would seem to be a great price. RAY
Great looking links, Ray. It looks like you have a motorized stuffer too, very helpful for a one-man show. Very sweet.

If those hanks are roughly equivalent to 4 home packs, then the $16.33 price is a 20 percent improvement over the price for an equivalent number of home packs at Allied Kenco, where I bought the home pack I used for my Italian sausages a couple of weeks ago. These: http://www.alliedkenco.com/casing-hog-3 ... epack.aspx
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat May 10, 2014 08:31

Tasso,
If you place natural casings in a "saturated solution" of salt water and keep them refrigerated, they will keep for years if necessary. Saturated is when the water will dissolve no more salt. Add just a bit more salt to the mixture at this point and you'll have a salt "slush" - perfect for storing casings. Due to their very nature, they can become mighty odoriferous in long-term storage, sort of like Cabonaia's dirty ol' work socks! :roll: They are just fine to use when rinsed and cleaned before stuffing but sometimes getting them past your nose is the trick!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Tasso
User
User

Post by Tasso » Sat May 10, 2014 18:23

I have a hank of 41/44mm casings that I haven't opened yet. They are pre-flushed and in a sealed plastic bag filled with brine. I'll transfer the casings and brine to a sturdier container when I open them.

After a sausage making session, can I return any unused extra casings back to the same container with the rest of the hank, or is it better to keep them separated in a different brine solution? I'm thinking here about casings that were loaded onto the stuffing horn, but didn't get used. They could have had incidental contact with raw sausage.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat May 10, 2014 23:13

After a sausage making session, can I return any unused extra casings back to the same container with the rest of the hank, or is it better to keep them separated in a different brine solution? I'm thinking here about casings that were loaded onto the stuffing horn, but didn't get used. They could have had incidental contact with raw sausage.
Tasso, if you used clean processing techniques, you can return them to the original brine without any problems. Be sure the solution is saturated.
One more thing... never, ever, put any "lubricant" on the stuffing horn (such as butter, lard, oil, etc.). Don't do it. The casings will present problems later and during cooking, there will be hard, dry, spots. To make them go on the stuffing horn easily, use the "water bubble" technique shown in Rytek's book.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Tasso
User
User

Post by Tasso » Sat May 10, 2014 23:35

Thanks, Chuckwagon. I'll check out the technique in Rytek's book.

Meanwhile, I opened that package of 41/44mm casings and separated one out so I could "play" with it. I wanted to get an idea of how to handle them. After separating out several yards of a single strand of casing, it got too tangled up, so I cut it from the hank. It's still much longer than the ones that came in the home pack I used before.

Now it's soaking in water, but when I went to flush it with water, it somehow managed to tangle itself up in knots. There must be a trick or two I'm not aware of. I'll hit Rytek's book for tips on that too.

EDIT: I got that piece of casing untangled, finally, by using the old wine trick. You drink two glasses of wine, and then in your relaxed and unstressed state of mind, the casing practically untangles itself as you gently wiggle it around in the water.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun May 11, 2014 04:57

Works every time! Image Image Image
Pete
User
User

Post by Pete » Sun May 11, 2014 23:16

Tasso, After the afore mentioned vagaries of gut casings I found nice dry store for ever collagen casings.

Haven't used gut casing for over 15 years and don't miss 'em at all........ :mrgreen:
Tasso
User
User

Post by Tasso » Sun May 11, 2014 23:34

Hi there, Pete. I haven't used collagen casings yet, but I plan to try them before long. I just ordered a 3/8th inch horn for my sausage stuffer, so I plan to try some 21mm collagen casings to make kabanosy. The high cost of sheep casings makes collagen a better choice for me in that size. I plan to try some 30mm collagen casings to make some skinny sausages for hot dog buns too, eventually.

Are you able to link your sausages when stuffing them into collagen? I've seen mixed reports of success. Some people say the collagen casings don't link well, or at least not as well as natural casings.