(Lamb) going to crack it this time

markjass
Passionate
Passionate

(Lamb) going to crack it this time

Post by markjass » Sat Aug 09, 2014 14:37

I really like lamb, I have made some lovely fresh lamb sausages, but have miserably failed to find a fermented or cooked or dried lamb sausage that I have liked (note the `I` have liked). The lamb flavour has just gone. I know el Ducko has been experimenting with sucuk and sumac. Well I have decided that it is high time that I cracked this. I have gone back to basics. I am not sure what sumac tastes like. From my reading lamb sumac and cumin go together, well they do in Gozleme (a savoury traditional Turkish pastry dish, made of hand-rolled dough that is lightly brushed with butter and eggs, filled with various toppings). So my first step was to sprinkle sumac, cumin, salt and pepper on lamb steak and fry it. My verdict is yup it works, but a bit of chilli would improve it. My next step will be to make burgers with the mix.

Last edited by markjass on Sat Aug 09, 2014 16:34, edited 1 time in total.
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Aug 09, 2014 15:29

I really like lamb also, and would be more then happy to take a knife and fork to what you've got laying in the fry pan. Maybe a little bit of mint-apple on the side! Much of the lamb we get here in the USA comes from NZ and Australia, you must have an abundance of those critters. I've never even entertained the thought of making sausage from lamb due to the price, it just would not be cost effective, much like beef these days. Good to hear you are on the rebound health wise and back on your lamb sausage quest. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Aug 09, 2014 15:50

I use deer meat to make loukanika sausage but that is 60% pork and 40% lamb by the recipe.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Aug 09, 2014 16:33

Our pal Butterbean is amazingly self-sufficient and borders on genius in my opinion. He has a link for his lamb sausage with photos here:
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?p=11569#11569
You may also wish to check out the recipes by our member DaveZac in Bristol, New York. He has the same attributes and has also worked much with lamb.
There are many lamb, sheep, and mutton recipes in our MRI. Look under L for "lamb" to start. Check `em out at this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5146
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D