Boston Butt % of fat

Tasso
User
User

Post by Tasso » Thu Sep 18, 2014 03:05

crustyo44 wrote:I also cure the bones with a reasonable amount of meat on them overnight and when cooked in a pot I reduce the liquid left over after I have taken all the meat off the bones.

The short curing produces a better meat colour.
Jan, that too sounds like a great idea, but how do you calculate the proper amount of cure to add when curing the meaty bone? You can't get an accurate meet weight while it's still on the bone. Or do you just toss in a small amount of cure, a pinch or so?
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 03:39

Hi Tasso,
I usually just toss the bone/meat pieces in the container where already I am curing some bacon or butt pieces.
It's only overnight and the end product looks better than all the grey coloured meat.
My 2 cents worth.
By the way, I use Big Guy's wet cure.
Jan.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Sep 18, 2014 06:40

Shuswap wrote:Redzed does the Costco Butt include the coppa :?: Are you curing the bones in a brine :?:
Yes, every pork butt cut has the coppa (the neck). Unfortunately, while every US Costco sells pork butts, our Canadian Costco stores do not. :shock: I have written them about this and others should as well. Butts are are almost impossible to buy in supermarkets in Canada. You have to get them from meat wholesalers. Here on on the Island I buy them from Hertel's in Port Alberni. But I always stock up when visiting the Excited States. :lol:

I cure bones in the same brine that I use for hams and loins:
1lt. water
50g salt
25g sugar
12g Cure 1
Rosemary, garlic, peppercorns, juniper berries

I cure the bones for two or three days, rinse and soak in cold water for one hour, Then give them a couple hours of smoke.
Tasso
User
User

Post by Tasso » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:23

redzed and Jan, many thanks to both of you for the bone curing and smoking info. I'm definitely going to do that from now on.