Vinegar Type for Pickling

Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Vinegar Type for Pickling

Post by Rick » Sat Sep 20, 2014 13:24

I was wonder what type of vinegar, cider or white, is best for when doing a pickled bologna. I had an experience in the past using cider vinegar and smoked sausage, where the smoke made my vinegar very dark and cloudy and unappealing to the eye as well as taste.

I've since switched to the white vinegar and the problem seems to have gone away leaving the sausage, sliced onion and garlic cloves very appealing to the eye.

As for taste, I guess pickled is pickled, as I don't think I can really tell the difference between using cider or white vinegar.

Your thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Sun Sep 21, 2014 04:45

I am not a great traditionalist. As long as it is above 5% it is what you like best.

I know this is about pickles and may be a bit off mark:

There are a variety of possible causes for cloudy pickles http://www.pickyourown.org/picklesFAQs.htm:
In nonfermented pickles (fresh pack), cloudiness might indicate spoilage. Yeast growth may also make pickles cloudy or slimy. Check the pickles for signs of off-odors and mushiness of the pickles. If yeast growth is evident, discard the pickles. If these signs are absent, the pickles are (absent other problems) safe to eat.

Be sure to use a NON-metal pot - or a coated metal (teflon, silverstone, enamel, etc.) without breaks in the coating. The metal, especially aluminum, reacts with the vinegar and makes the pickle solution turn cloudy. This is the most common cause of cloudy pickles. There is no danger to these pickles, though!
Sometimes the fillers and additives (such as anticaking agents) in regular table salt may cause slight cloudiness, so always use pickling salt. Obviously, if you used a packet mix (like Mrs. Wages) this should not be a problem.
Hard water might also cause cloudiness. If soft water is not available, boil the hard water and let it sit undisturbed overnight. Pour off the top portion and use it in the pickling solution.
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:26

Rick,
I also use just plain white vinegar for my pickled smoked sausage, I add garlic cloves, red onions chunks and a hand full of red chillies to spice things up a bit. and sometimes some whole small gherkins.+
The best one I made was pickled Csabai. I just can't make enough of them.
Cheers,
Jan.
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Sun Sep 21, 2014 13:42

Thank you for the advice.