Morton Sugar Cure

Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Morton Sugar Cure

Post by Rick » Sun Sep 28, 2014 15:22

I was rummaging around on my spice shelf and uncovered 2 bags of Morton's Sugar Cure. They're unopened and I'm assuming still good. I'm at a loss as to why I purchased them, and was wondering what this product is used for. Could it be for a dry cured pork belly for bacon per chance?
Thank you
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Sep 28, 2014 16:25

Description of Morton's Sugar cure here.
http://www.sausagesource.com/morton-sugar-cure

It is essentially a curing salt with .5% nitrite. So in a way it's similar to European curing salts which contain .6% nitrite, but with added spices and sugar. My in-laws used it decades ago in curing hams when they lived on a farm.

Oops! That is incorrect! Nothing like the European curing salts since it also contains .5% nitrate.
Last edited by redzed on Mon Sep 29, 2014 01:41, edited 1 time in total.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Sep 28, 2014 17:37

Inside the bag you will find another foil bag. This is the spices. Heavy on cloves if I recall. The ingredients inside the blue bag - not the foil - is basically tenderquick with added sugar. Next time you make a brine this would be a good product to use. Should have directions on the bag on how to mix your brine.
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Sun Sep 28, 2014 18:32

Yes, regular Morton's Sugar Cure is interchangeable with Tender Quick. Sugar Cure has just a tiny bit more sugar, <1% dextrose.
Morton's Smoke-Flavored Sugar Cure is a very different product (with nitrate, no nitrite) which is only intended for dry-curing.
Godspeed!

Bob