Casings, Natural

Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Casings, Natural

Post by Rick » Sat Oct 04, 2014 20:43

Just out of curiosity, I've seen some sausage making recipes that speak of stuffing beef stomachs or bladders, and I don't believe I've ever seen such casings offered to sausage makers. Are they available?
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Sat Oct 11, 2014 16:07

I buy pork stomachs (for HogMaw and the like) and pork and beef bladders (for culatello and the like) from a local slaughter house.

Butcher and Packer sells dried bladders....
http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php ... cts_id=970

HTH
Last edited by Baconologist on Sat Oct 11, 2014 16:26, edited 1 time in total.
Godspeed!

Bob
Rick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Rick » Sat Oct 11, 2014 16:09

Thank you Bob for the information!
Tasso
User
User

Post by Tasso » Wed Oct 15, 2014 03:28

Chaudin is commonly available in south Louisiana sausage shops and meat markets. It's a pork stomach stuffed with a sausage mixture, sort of like the south Louisiana version of haggis. It's also called ponce, depending on where you are, and some people call it hog maw, although either ponce and chaudin are the more common names in Louisiana.

It's good stuff(ed). I plan to make one for Christmas dinner this year. I've eaten it, but never made one, so I expect it will be fun.
Cabonaia
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Cabonaia » Sat Oct 18, 2014 03:01

I bought some fresh pork stomachs once from a local Asian meat counter, and they were so stinky I threw them out. They were probably not very fresh, like you would get from a slaughterhouse. When I saved some from my own pigs and cleaned them well, there was no foul odor at all. I ground them up and put them in liver sausage, though. Didn't stuff them. Maybe next time.

Jeff