Mixing Spices?

dhg

Mixing Spices?

Post by dhg » Fri Mar 06, 2015 03:11

My question, is it ok to mix the spices in the water?, both recipes required water, so i figured that if I mixed the spices in the water it would be easier to get the spices thourghly mixed in with the meat. I was afraid that if I sprinkled the spices as best I could over the meat that it wouldn't get mixed all the way through. I couldn't remember if I had read to mix with water or not.

This past weekend I was finally able to try my first attempt at sausage making. Saturday I bought a 8 1/2lb pork butt, cut it up and put it in 2 bags as I decided to make both the loose breakfast sausage and bratwurst and double up on the recipes. I didn't stuff the bratwurst, just made brat patties this time.

Both of them passed my official taste testers taste test, she was very happy with both of them and said that I can keep on making sausage.

Thanks,
Rich
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Mar 06, 2015 06:33

Hi dhg! Great to hear that you have taken the first steps in making your own sausage. I'll bet soon you'll never be seen in the sausage section of your supermarket!

There is nothing wrong with mixing the spices with your water and working them in. Some guys even run everything through a blender. That way your spices will mix in better with the meat. Just make sure that you still mix and mix until you get that sticky consistency and a tennis size ball of meat will stick to the underside of your palm. Keep the meat cold and the water ice cold!

Keep up the good work!

redzed
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rgauthier20420 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 14:54

dhg, I just thought add to the affirmation Red has given you. I always add water to sausages, whether it's fresh, cured, or dried salamis. The amounts might vary, but I always blend my spices in a magic bullet with the water to get a more even and thorough mix.
dhg

Post by dhg » Sat Mar 07, 2015 02:14

redzed wrote:Hi dhg! Great to hear that you have taken the first steps in making your own sausage. I'll bet soon you'll never be seen in the sausage section of your supermarke

redzed
Redzed, when I was doing some recon in the meat department a couple of weeks ago, I picked up a package of a very well known bratwurst and look at the ingredients and was very surprised to see MSG in them and some other stuff that I cant pronounce. That pretty much did it for me. I'm not a health nut by any stretch of the imagination but i don't need any of that stuff.

I am also convinced that packaged sausage mfg's, take the 50% fat content to the max. We fried up 4 of the brat patties in a pan the other night and there was almost 0 grease left in the pan.

I also have a gram scale on the way to measure out the spices.

Thanks for the advice to both of you on mixing spices in water.

Rich
sakura

Post by sakura » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:24

I jakiego rodzaju przypraw doradzić? Chcę spróbować czegoś oryginalnego ...
Last edited by sakura on Mon Jul 04, 2016 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Jul 04, 2016 15:59

Coś w twoim poście koleżanko nie gra. Jakoś wątpię ze jesteś z Warszawy. Trafiłaś na forum angielsko języczny. Radzę wstawić pytanie na polskim forum http://wedlinydomowe.pl/forum/

Your post is probably spam directing us to a website under your signature which I removed. If not, I suggest you post your question on the Polish forum http://wedlinydomowe.pl/forum/