Mould Starter for whole muscle casing

BlueMonkey
User
User

Mould Starter for whole muscle casing

Post by BlueMonkey » Thu May 26, 2016 11:56

Hi,
I have recently completed 2 coppa, a beasola, Pancetta, and 2 Guanciale which were sitting happily sitting in my curing chamber for 3 days until it stopped working...( I knew I should have replaced it :roll: ).
After racing around and getting another fridge I have had no time to prepare it with cutting out side wall, putting in fans etc, and just want to help innoculate the meat from a "green" chamber until I can get properly set up again.
Today I managed to find some Penicillum Candidum which I intend to spray on the casings / meat.
Question is, how to dilute and use? I managed to find the culture in a cheese-making shop, no instructions, just that it was sufficient for 250L milk.... ( 2 grams)
My inclination is to use about 1/4 in about 1lt of tepid demineralised water, let it stand for about 6 hours before spraying, and repeating after 24/48 hrs.
Would this be the way to do it?
Thanks for your time.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu May 26, 2016 12:20

Penicillum Candidum is really not the desirable one use on meats, Penicillium nalgiovense is what you are looking for. It is available in your area from these folks http://www.smokedandcured.com.au/bactof ... d_search=0

If you choose to use what you have use the whole 2 grams in 1/2 lt water, you should only have to spray once.
BlueMonkey
User
User

Post by BlueMonkey » Thu May 26, 2016 12:44

Thanks,
But this is all I can get here that I can find. Hopefully when Jan returns I can catch up with him, only being about 100km away.
BlueMonkey
User
User

Post by BlueMonkey » Thu May 26, 2016 12:47

Sorry, Mean all i can find local without it being shipped. Want to get something pretty quick smart as going away tomorrow for several days, with no-one to open my fridge.....We also have high temps here at the moment, so didn't want it sitting in the back of a Couriers Van until delivery!