BBQ Ribs HELP

LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

BBQ Ribs HELP

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Sat Jun 18, 2016 03:52

I have a bunch of people coming over tomorrow. I have 7 slabs of St. Louis Ribs. I already rubbed them and cut them into 2 bones each. I am planning on putting them in a lump charcoal BBQ at 250-300 degrees. The BBQ is double decker grates. How long should I anticipate these should take? Thanks
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Jun 18, 2016 17:13

Geez there are so many ways to do ribs! But the current trend is to do them low and slow between 200 and 225, on indirect heat or stage 2. I usually do back ribs and I'm not crazy about the "bark" that others rave about, so I tent mine in foil with a bit of pineapple juice then finish over low flames. The site "Amazing Ribs" is probably the best source or my favourite cooking site "Chef Steps", because these guys understand the science and technology of the process. Take a look here:
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknogr ... _ever.html

Good luck with the barbecue and I know you have your hands full with the preparation, but see if you can take a pic of the ribs for us. :grin:
LOUSANTELLO
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by LOUSANTELLO » Sun Jun 19, 2016 16:18

I forgot to take finished pics. This was about 45 minutes in at about 225 degrees. The heat was unbalanced, so I caught myself having to shift them around a lot, but they all went and I didn't even have a chance to taste them. lol
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Jun 19, 2016 21:49

Tasty looking and meaty back ribs. I'm sure they were a hit. Wish I could have had a few bites! :lol:
marctrees
Beginner
Beginner

Post by marctrees » Fri Sep 30, 2016 03:06

My opinion does NOT really count, because I have only basic experience in BBQ, and only basic experience in smoking.

But, what comes to my mind is, you need a bigger rig to cook THAT MANY racks for that many people.

With what it seems you have, I guess you could start very early in the morning, and stack stuff up in a "cambro" (insulated "cooler") covered in bath towels inside, and reheat for serving.

I don't know enough about-----"Danger temp range", exposure WILL be an issue, but I'm lucky , not sick after 59 yrs , and I also eat RARE hamburgers from our local Butcher ground beef for yearsssss.

Even though those are two very different dangers, nevertheless, I'm just saying I do stuff not as recommended, and never got sick.

Maybe lucky, I don't know.

I would think it would be a total pain in the A to swap from low to high rack for even cooking. Because of very limited space in the BBQ.

BUT, it sounds like you handled the situation, so you did enough right !!

( Even though they were probably not "fall off the bone") that I hear people prefer, but I hate, personally for myself.

So seriously, good for you!!!!

You must have very good BBQ experience to overall handle that quantity.

Just my newbie thoughts, Marc
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Sat Oct 01, 2016 14:28

Hey Lou. I'll give my 2 cents. See you're using a BGE, good choice. Love mine. Couple questions. Did you take off the back membrane. Smoke won't penetrate that and get throughout the ribs. Just take a butter knife, slid it along the 2nd from end rib bone and pull. Once started, it'll come off pretty easy, just takes practice. Next thing is, I wouldn't cut them until done. Most competition contestants wait till the end before slicing. I use the 3-2-1 method. My temp is 225 F. Get the egg to a steady 225 temp. Put on ribs with smoke for 3 hrs. Than wrap them in aluminum foil with your favorite juice, apple, pineapple, etc. Put them on wrapped for for another 2 hrs. They than steam and get more moisture in the meat. After that, take them out again to finish for the last hour. This is the time to put your favorite BBQ sauce, if you choose. If you're not ready to serve them, put them back in the foil, wrap in bath towels and store them in a cooler. Coolers not only maintain cold but also keep in heat. Once in the foil, they continue to steam and take in flavor till ready to serve. Hope this helps..
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Oct 01, 2016 18:29

nuynai wrote:Hey Lou. I'll give my 2 cents. See you're using a BGE, good choice. Love mine. Couple questions. Did you take off the back membrane. Smoke won't penetrate that and get throughout the ribs. Just take a butter knife, slid it along the 2nd from end rib bone and pull. Once started, it'll come off pretty easy, just takes practice. Next thing is, I wouldn't cut them until done. Most competition contestants wait till the end before slicing. I use the 3-2-1 method. My temp is 225 F. Get the egg to a steady 225 temp. Put on ribs with smoke for 3 hrs. Than wrap them in aluminum foil with your favorite juice, apple, pineapple, etc. Put them on wrapped for for another 2 hrs. They than steam and get more moisture in the meat. After that, take them out again to finish for the last hour. This is the time to put your favorite BBQ sauce, if you choose. If you're not ready to serve them, put them back in the foil, wrap in bath towels and store them in a cooler. Coolers not only maintain cold but also keep in heat. Once in the foil, they continue to steam and take in flavor till ready to serve. Hope this helps..
This is good advice here and if followed will yield consistent fall of the bone tender ribs. Unfortunately, the trend of the BBQ judges now are to shy away from the fall off the bone tender ribs. They seem to want a slight pull to the meat. To adjust to this you can do 4-1-1 and get close but the 3-2-1 method is what I prefer and I'd just as soon my dog have the bark instead of my ribs but that's just me.

Pineapple ribs after removing from foil and mopping. 60 minutes to happyville.

Image [/list]
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Sat Oct 01, 2016 20:16

Hey, BB. One thing I don't understand is, why all the KCBBQ judges want all the sugar to their products. Brown sugar, honey, molasses, etc. My idea is, good Q doesn't need all the sugars, just salt and pepper and let it go on that.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Oct 01, 2016 23:40

I don't know really but my guess is they seem to want a "bark" on it and the sugar does that. Personally, I prefer it pull off the bone tender with no bark. I like it sloppy. But I love ribs so I enjoy about any way they are cooked as long as they are not dry and tough.

My tastes change too. Sometimes I'll want them dry and spiced. Sometimes I crave a sauce. I really just cook to my cravings and if anyone doesn't like it - tough luck. I'm my own judge and my own competition if you know what I mean.